Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2018, 11:28 AM   #1

P2610 code

Hoping to find some help here. Prepping my RV for a trip this week and the check engine light is on. RV is full of diesel (sometimes seems that light will come on when tank is low). We took it out for about 10 miles, turned engine off/on a few times, but light still on.

Went to Autozone to hook up diagnostic tool and came up with code P2610 ECM/PCM Internal Engine Off Timer Performance.

Engine was serviced last Nov and service isn't due for 3700 miles.

This is a 2011 Sprinter Chassis RV. Thanks in advance for any advice.
SiestaRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #2

P2610 Info
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...by-jay-safford
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

Thanks for your reply. We managed to get the light (known as the engine diagnostics indicator lamp) to go off.

This light has come on several times and it always seems to happen when the RV has been sitting a week or 2 and I have disconnected the engine battery. (We always wait for 10 minutes after turning it off before we disconnect, per the instructions.)

What we have found to fix it in the past is filling it up with diesel, driving it maybe 6 or 7 miles and then turning off and back on. I thought it wouldn't work this time because we had recently filled the tank. We decided to give it a shot and it only held 2 gallons, but drove it home, turned the engine off and on and no light.

I'm glad it seems to fix the issue, but wish I knew what caused it.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:38 PM   #4

Well, we may have found the issue. Here are the instructions in the sprinter manual for disconnecting the engine battery: >>Make sure that the key is in position 0 in the ignition lock and wait at least 20 seconds before disconnecting or connecting the battery isolating switch. You could otherwise damage electrical system components. <<

In the past we have followed the instructions next to the battery disconnect, just under the steering wheel which say, "Always wait at least 10 minutes after engine stops before pulling off battery master switch to allow emission control system to complete cycle"

Which is correct??
Old 06-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #5

The ECM/PCM looks for both conditions that the engine has been turned off and for how long the engine has been off. If it cannot determine both conditions, a P2610 code will be set and the check engine light will illuminate until you complete two normal drive cycles.

There could be several components that the ECM/PCM uses to determine if the engine is running or has been shut off. Different manufacturers may use different components to make that determination. It can get complicated to diagnose, as each component used by your specific manufacturer would have to be checked to determine if it was a component failure causing the code to be set.

I think in your case, the simple cause may be that you are disconnecting the battery for long periods of time, causing the ECM/PCM to loose power and not know how long the engine has been shut off.

I would try not disconnecting the chassis battery when returning from your next trip. The battery should easily be fine for a few weeks or more if it is good condition between trips. If you are concerned about the battery not keeping a charge, I would add a low amperage battery tender to the battery between trips rather than disconnect the battery.

This would give you an opportunity to see if not cutting power to the ECM/PCM stops the P2610 code from setting. This would be a much simpler place to start than to diagnose every component that might be used by the ECM/PCM to determine if the engine is turned off and for how long. The ECM/PCM need power to do its work.
Sherpa Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:57 AM   #6

Thanks for this info, Sherpa Vern. I believe you are correct. We have been trying to save our battery, but inadvertently causing issues. Fingers crossed that's all it is.