Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2019, 10:55 AM   #99

Winnebago Owners Club
Sand Paint... Primer?????

So, we scuff sanded all the decals so the paint would bond better (400 grit). But, when we painted the results are shown below, as much as 6 coats...
Then we sanded more and the results the same.
Then we primered and sanded.. and the results the same.

What are we missing?

Paint:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9382 (800x533).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	251237   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9383 (800x533).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	342.1 KB
ID:	251238  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9377 (800x533).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	251239   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9384 (800x533).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	251240  

zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2019, 11:02 AM   #100

Winnebago Owners Club
When I did mine I used a fairly thick coat of a sandable primer to help fill the cracks. Spray it on, let dry, use a sanding block to take the primer off back down to the vinyl - which just leaves it in the cracks. It wasn't perfectly smooth - though it probably could have been if I'd made more passes at it. Ultimately it gave the decals just a bit of 'texture' which we thought looked good - so that's the way they stayed.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekethomas View Post
So, we scuff sanded all the decals so the paint would bond better (400 grit). But, when we painted the results are shown below, as much as 6 coats...

What are we missing?

Paint:
From what I see (the way the paint is pulled away from the cracks) I suspect surface contaminates on the gel-coat. The contaminate could be old waxes, road grime, grease, silicone and/or dried decal adhesive. You will want to clean the area with a quality wax and grease remover, such as Sem, Maxx Solv, Duplicolor, Eastwood etcetera. You can get it at auto body supply shops, most auto part stores, and of course online.

Before you sand and strip the paint that you have already applied, apply wax and grease remover. You do not want to sand the contaminates into the gel-coat or decals making your job harder. Sand and strip the applied paint. Before you add any body filler or primer filler to the cracks, wipe down the area with more wax and grease remover. Lastly before you do your final color coat, wipe down with the wax and grease remover again.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-pr...iABEgLsg_D_BwE
https://www.amazon.com/VHT-CM541-Gre...89220510&psc=1
Old 06-26-2019, 02:52 PM   #102

I saw a 5th that they paint white over decals and all it looked like crap.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:13 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
When I did mine I used a fairly thick coat of a sandable primer to help fill the cracks. Spray it on, let dry, use a sanding block to take the primer off back down to the vinyl - which just leaves it in the cracks. It wasn't perfectly smooth - though it probably could have been if I'd made more passes at it. Ultimately it gave the decals just a bit of 'texture' which we thought looked good - so that's the way they stayed.
you can use sandable primer probably easier. on the real bad cracked ones on mine I used some red spot putty and filled them and sanded down. can be bought at Walmart and comes in a tube. thankfully I didn't have whole lot of them to do.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:54 PM   #104

Sorry to revive a zombie thread, but...

Does the OP have any updates on how the painted graphics are holding up over time? I've heard from auto painters that graphics will just continue to crack if painted over.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:08 AM   #105

Decals holding up

they look just the same as they did. No deterioration. But remember our goal was for it to look better, not perfect. So my standard is still "does it look good from 15 or 20 feet away".
ScottnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:33 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekethomas View Post

What are we missing?

Paint:
You should have used an auto body filler putty on the cracks, sanded then painted. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:16 AM   #107

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
XThings that will affect the painting dry time is temp (65-79 degrees) ideal. Wind ( if really windy dont paint)

On my last decal I think it came out better. I used an rustoleum automotive primer with a filler in it. Sanded the primer with 400 grit sandpaper. Wiped down with damp rag. After it Dried. Took a tac cloth and rubbed over Decal. Then proceeded with light color coat, let set for 6-7 minutes. Then apply second coat. Let set for 6-7 minutes. Apply third coat let it dry for a few hours before removing the tape.*
If you get a run, or other imperfections wet sand and buff out after the paint dries for a few days.*

Good luck, take your time and realize only you with really know where the blemishes are. From 5’ away it all looks good.*
Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:07 PM   #108

badboy- it's been over 7 years since you redid your decals. it's probably a little too late to ask, but how are they looking now?
Old 01-22-2023, 10:41 PM   #109

Painting faded and cracked graphics (Video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post
There is next to no information on doing this, so I figured I'd share my pics (thus far)
To bad you didn't look on Youtube. There's an excellent video that shows exactly how to do this. An awesome RV maintenance channel I might add.

Be sure to click on the lower left corner to watch on Youtube and you'll also be able to read the comments

mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 04:52 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.tommy View Post
To bad you didn't look on Youtube. There's an excellent video that shows exactly how to do this. An awesome RV maintenance channel I might add.

Be sure to click on the lower left corner to watch on Youtube and you'll also be able to read the comments

I think that video is only 3 years old (2019?). The OP posted in 2015, so that video wasn't around when he asked the question.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:54 AM   #111

i've seen the video. does anyone have any idea how the decals look after 4-5 years? or longer?

Tags
paint