Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2017, 12:01 AM   #1

Park/campground rates

Just. Wow.
I recently called two local parks here in OKC and was shocked to be quoted SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS a month!! Seriously??!! And even worse, that was for two people and my third person would be an extra dollar per day.
While I am sure there are some areas where the rate will be quite less but for full timers, I have to ask: What is the point in giving up a stick built with rent or mortgage and utilities if an RV in a park comes close to or is more than
that?
What is with the rates being for two people and doesn't that force people to lie when they have 6 kids and what about my indoor (of course) cats of which I have 3? Will I have to say I have no pets?
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2017, 12:59 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
The TRUTH is that it is not necessarily cheaper to live in a RV. There is a lot of misinformation out there about living off the grid in a tiny house and saving gobs of money. RVs are no different. I blame the eco minimalist movement and advertisers in general promoting this idea, that one can live for free by simply giving up the traditional ways of living in a house and working at a real work place job. Are some succeeding at unhooking and working remotely on the internet...yes but we can't all do it. I believe most full timers are doing it for the adventure and freedom from what they were doing most of their lives. New day. new place, new sights, new friends. It is not about saving money. Now, if you go off grid boondocking and eat pork n beans from a can...then you will save some money. And many are finding that to be somewhat adventurous....
The monthly rate here in my California park is $900-1500 plus elect. Don't come any farther west f you want low monthly rates. Avoid parks with the word " Resort " in their name....
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:00 AM   #3

Here's a link to a search on campgroundreviews.com for parks within 25 miles of OKC. There are 21 of them listed. The reviews tell you how much people paid to stay.

Prices at many RV parks are based on transient vacationers, and are priced according to demand and usually somewhat less than motel rooms. Right now, demand is high in many areas, so prices are high.

Don't forget that monthly renters may pay for metered electrical service, in addition to the rent for the site.

It is possible to live full-time on a frugal budget, in an RV. Those who are more successful at it seem to be people who are inclined to do things by the book. That includes telling the truth about the number of occupants and pets aboard, boondocking properly in approved areas, and the like.

Here's a link to Andy Baird's blog home page. Andy hasn't updated it for a while, but the site is still a great read. Here's another link, to the Frugal Shunpiker's Web site.

In the book The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Robert Heinlein popularized the abbreviation "TANSTAAFL"- "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch." I believe the current marketing that masquerades as TV shows on cash-saving, happy tiny house and full-time RV occupants is trying to get people to forget TANSTAAFL.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:24 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check the annual rate... Some parks may offer an annual rate that is cheaper than the monthly rate. i.e. I m looking at an RV park in the Phoenix area, monthly is $525 (plus electric), annual is $3600 (plus electric) The annual rate comes out to $300 a month.

I currently pay $3200 annually just for the property tax on my Ohio property

You might expand your search to include "Trailer park". These tend to be more permanent/long term residence, where a RV park/campground tend to be short term.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We're paying almost the same for RV expenses as we in in a less expensive to moderate price home. But so many more advantages: bad neighbors can move, changing scenery, no grass cutting, snow shoveling, no or little utilities, can see distant framily more often. To name a few, but of course some disadvantages too.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:37 AM   #6

600.00 seems reasonable to me.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:39 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I think it depends on what type of full timing your talking about . Living in a RV in primarily one spot to save money ? Not so much. A basic apartment would be a better choice in most cases.No maintenance costs. Less utilities ( insulation) Now if your full timing in the more traditional sense of living in the RV to travel not just “live” it can make more sense than hotels , resorts , maintaining a home base. 600 seems pretty reasonable. Especially in the areas I last stayed 700- 1000 would be great but base apartments are 1200!
Old 10-07-2017, 07:29 AM   #8
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
I think it depends on what type of full timing your talking about . Living in a RV in primarily one spot to save money ? Not so much. A basic apartment would be a better choice in most cases.No maintenance costs. Less utilities ( insulation) Now if your full timing in the more traditional sense of living in the RV to travel not just “live” it can make more sense than hotels , resorts , maintaining a home base. 600 seems pretty reasonable. Especially in the areas I last stayed 700- 1000 would be great but base apartments are 1200!
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:32 AM   #9
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
The TRUTH is that it is not necessarily cheaper to live in a RV. There is a lot of misinformation out there about living off the grid in a tiny house and saving gobs of money. RVs are no different. I blame the eco minimalist movement and advertisers in general promoting this idea, that one can live for free by simply giving up the traditional ways of living in a house and working at a real work place job. Are some succeeding at unhooking and working remotely on the internet...yes but we can't all do it. I believe most full timers are doing it for the adventure and freedom from what they were doing most of their lives. New day. new place, new sights, new friends. It is not about saving money. Now, if you go off grid boondocking and eat pork n beans from a can...then you will save some money. And many are finding that to be somewhat adventurous....
The monthly rate here in my California park is $900-1500 plus elect. Don't come any farther west f you want low monthly rates. Avoid parks with the word " Resort " in their name....
Well said.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:59 AM   #10
Commercial Member

6x16. its only going to get worse. anywhere there is shale, gas, or oil, the campgrounds are full. some campgrounds save a few spots for over nighters, but the oil field workers are willing to pay more, because they make more. its a vicious cycle.
drilling anywhere in oklahoma, texas, southern kansas, southern and northwestern new mexico, north and south dakota, etc, etc. are starting up again. even utah is getting bad.
when i drive near those places, i either use one of the retail stores that allow over night stays, or rely on some of the manufacturers to let me stay overnight on their grounds.
in oklahoma city, there is a cracker barrel on the same street that goes to the airport thats out of the way,quiet, and a large parking lot.
from i40, take meridian st south toward the airport, turn left on highland blvd, and go about 1000 ft. its on the left. good in and out.
the walmart on meridian is just north of the interstate allows over nighters as well. you have to go around back to avoid the overhead barricades.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:03 AM   #11

Everything is relative. Near San Francisco monthly sites are $2000 plus electric. We have never been charged for indoor cats when I say we have indoor cats in response to the question, do you have pets?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #12

$600/mo sounds pretty reasonable to me also. We are paying $695/mo in Flagstaff, AZ.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #13

I would think $20 per night is pretty cheap to live anywhere. Like AdamFolger said Fulltiming doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be cheaper to live, but it does offer opportunity for adventure. How cheap do you really expect it to be, I think $600 a month for a RV spot is very reasonable. In California you can't even rent a 1 bedroom apartment, in a so-so area, for less than $1500 a month. Owning a home is a whole different situation, $600 a month doesn't even cover property taxes for the average house here. We pay for the great weather.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:01 AM   #14

In our limited (2 1/2 years) full-timing experience, location-location-location has been the biggest factor in RV Park rates. Add nice to real nice amenities and the costs goes up. If your willing to drive a little extra, it has not been hard to find more economical RV parks close to where we want to visit/explore.

Tags
campground