Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #1

Pets and roadside assistance/towing

We have had our MH for a little over a year now, and after a few local trips are about to embark on a long distance trip to the Carolinas next month. We haven't had any serious problems, but she is an older coach and I just want to be prepared for anything. My biggest fear is breaking down and needing to be towed to a garage. We have two Cocker Spaniels that will be making the trip with us. I'm assuming the tow truck driver wouldn't be allowing them in his cab during the tow. Has anyone had to be towed with pets? Any advice? I know I'm sounding a bit neurotic, but like I said, just want to be prepared for anything...
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2012, 05:53 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
It sounds like you aren't planning on pulling a toad. If you were, there's really not a problem - the pet rides with you in the toad.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
It sounds like you aren't planning on pulling a toad.
Correct, that's why I'm wondering what would happen with the pooches.
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Just carry pet carriers with you.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
We have had our MH for a little over a year now, and after a few local trips are about to embark on a long distance trip to the Carolinas next month. We haven't had any serious problems, but she is an older coach and I just want to be prepared for anything. My biggest fear is breaking down and needing to be towed to a garage. We have two Cocker Spaniels that will be making the trip with us. I'm assuming the tow truck driver wouldn't be allowing them in his cab during the tow. Has anyone had to be towed with pets? Any advice? I know I'm sounding a bit neurotic, but like I said, just want to be prepared for anything...

Love Cockers! I had mine 16 years. He was a rescue dog. I miss him. Planning to get another one soon.

Hopefully you don't need to get towed, but you never know, so it is best to be prepared for anything.

Seeing as it is just 2 dogs, couldn't you put them on a leash and walk? But than that'd only work providing the garage was under 20miles from the breakdown sight (I know from personal experiance with multiple breakdown w/ my dog that 20miles is the max your dog is going to go before they say they've had it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
It sounds like you aren't planning on pulling a toad. If you were, there's really not a problem - the pet rides with you in the toad.

Rusty
Your answer works for someone with 1 pet...but what about someone like myself? i have a TOAD and no way me, 11 cats, and 1 bird are all going to fit inside of it all at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
Just carry pet carriers with you.
That's work for a small dog, but Cockers are pretty big dogs - mine weighed in a 46lbs - I've seen overweight Cockers top the scales at 62lbs. Females are much smaller than males and are usually 35lbs. No matter how you look at it, 2 of these dogs is going to be no less than 60lbs combined and as much as 120lbs combined - that's a lot of weight to try to carry in a bulky, difficult to manuver pet carrier. They need a rather large carrier - far too big to be carried by a single person once the dog is inside it, and than multiple that by 2 dogs.

Than you have to consider the size of the carrier - WHERE exactly would they fit it on their MH? No place inside is going to fit it, and rare is the rig basement big enough for a carrier large enough to carry a Cocker - provided you have a basement in your rig at all. Me in a 22' Class C - I've no room for a carreier inside and no basement outside to put anything in, carrier or otherwise.

So the solutions you have offered will help in certain situations of course, but many situations they would not be helpful. There are a lot of variables to consider here.
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EelKat View Post
Your answer works for someone with 1 pet...but what about someone like myself? i have a TOAD and no way me, 11 cats, and 1 bird are all going to fit inside of it all at the same time.
Well, I would think that your situation is somewhat unique!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
You raise a valid concern, which I never thought about. The cat I can put in a carrier, but our dog is 45 lbs, so doesn;t have a carrier. I would hope the tow driver would let her ride with us but that's no guarentee. Hope someone comes on here with some good suggestions.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are not to far from a town you could try calling a car rental. Some deliver and pick up. Other than that I am at a loss. Good luck.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EelKat View Post
Seeing as it is just 2 dogs, couldn't you put them on a leash and walk? But than that'd only work providing the garage was under 20miles from the breakdown sight (I know from personal experiance with multiple breakdown w/ my dog that 20miles is the max your dog is going to go before they say they've had it!)
Walk 20 miles??? Yikes.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #10

X2
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Most crates break down either by folding like most wire crates do, or like the clamshell types do, and you takes the screws out and invert the top into the bottom. You can fill them and use them to keep things from rolling around. or store them on the outside in case of emergency. You could put 2 cockers in 1 cratre if they like each other for a little while such as the towing experience. No, something that big won't go in the tow cab, but might would be a way for them to ride safely while being towed in the MH until you get there unless it would get too hot. Open the windows for air.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #12

We had to have our 5th wheel and truck towed as one unit due to a break problem with the truck. We have a cat that goes everywhere with us and altho' he likes his harness and leash, we always have a carrier available. He went in it and road in the crew cab tow truck just fine. The driver forgot we even had a cat for he was so quiet. Guess he'd had loud cats before.
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #13

Am I missing something?
Why can't the pet(s) ride in the moho/camper/5er while it's being towed?
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #14

I have been on the road going to dog shows when people I know with vans have broken down with a van full of dogs. Could not be towed until all the dogs were out. The main reason I drag a toad behind me is if we would break down or if one of the dogs or humans would be ill.

If you have no toad, maybe you want to look for a small scooter you can take with and attach small dog carriers to if you had to??