Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #29

Kitchen Move Update

Slow going as usual, one day's work takes one week anymore!
Finally decided on using the PEX crimp system. After one "oops", no pressure drop on the new system in 48 hours. So now working on framing, re-location of duct work, electrical, gas line, etc. and set up of the new "entertainment" center. For the TV we decided on using a 23" Lenovo all in one computer. Has a built in TV tuner, remote control for computer/TV functions, all blue tooth connections, seems it may fit the bill. Of course time will tell!
Added some pictures (I think), it all looks like the east end of a horse going west, but it will get there.

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	Framing Start (2).jpg
Views:	161
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	17525[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Blue.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	17523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbing Change (2).jpg
Views:	147
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	17524  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #30

Freightliner Owners Club
Good progress greg, thanks for the follow up.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #31

Seems everyone likes pictures, so here is the progress report on my kitchen move. Slow going, blame it on the meds of course!!
Would like to thank all who posted on flooring, Allure is working well. Now on to the new expanded bed/dinning area and last the puddy tat room in the overhead area.

Name:	Old Blue.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	20209

Name:	My RV Remodel Assistant.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	20210

Name:	Almost Done on Kitchen.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	20211

Used to call this our RB (Rattle Bang) but now thinking of HH (Hillbilly Hotel ).
The last thing I need to do is some graphics on the exterior. Repainted so now it's glaring white on white. Anyone have experience with ebay graphics?

Thanks to all, with everyone's help may actually get this thing on the road for a cross country in about 6 weeks.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #32

Gulf Streamers Club
Looks like great progress. We still need pictures of outside, both without and with new graphics when they are applied.

ronspradley
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPASMURF View Post
Retired from 35 years of plumbing.Sharkbite have their place for quick repairs on the road. I'd advise crimp. You can also buy a small crimp that does up with 7/16 ratchet for the tight places.It looks like solid piece with hole in middle that actually splits in middle with two 1/4" bolts. Great for tight places. Price of crimping tools has crashed. I used to pay $275-they're now down to $65.00. The peace of mind is worth crimping. Crimp stands up to freezing better, just DO NOT use plastic fittings.
I am doing an extensive remodel on a 23', am now to the plumbing part. The original fixtures were stolen of of the camper; what would be the disadvantages of using a house kitchen sink and shower fixtures
Cjnfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #34

Am doing an extensive remodel on a 23 foot Terry. Ready to do plumbing now and will probably be changing out a fair amount of the pressure pipe to pex. What would be wrong with using house fixtures for the kitchen sink, shower, and bathroom faucet? Would the fixtures last longer or be more reliable than camper?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:17 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjnfamily View Post
Am doing an extensive remodel on a 23 foot Terry. Ready to do plumbing now and will probably be changing out a fair amount of the pressure pipe to pex. What would be wrong with using house fixtures for the kitchen sink, shower, and bathroom faucet? Would the fixtures last longer or be more reliable than camper?
There is nothing wrong with using residential fixtures and generally speaking they will be of better quality. However, the quality of the residential products varies widely and the prices do too. You'll need to do your homework and decide what level of quality you want to pay for. In my experience either Moen or Delta offers the best value for the buck, but that's just me. Good luck with your rehab.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:36 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by radams View Post
There is nothing wrong with using residential fixtures and generally speaking they will be of better quality. However, the quality of the residential products varies widely and the prices do too. You'll need to do your homework and decide what level of quality you want to pay for. In my experience either Moen or Delta offers the best value for the buck, but that's just me. Good luck with your rehab.
Totally agree. Residential is usually a good choice for bathroom sink and kitchen. However, depending on your shower location and accessibility, you may find it impractical to try to substitute a residential shower faucet assembly (you usually can't see the back of the shower).
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Shark bite fittings bite on the pipe with a star washer, for lack of a better description. I am in a business where I need to know about these things and they have their place however I would not use them in this application. I would use the 3/8 pex and the block.

Picture a shark biting and the motorhome vibrating and guess what the teeth can do.

Some will agree and some won't but that's OK with me. Just my humble opinion. :-)
Old 01-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #38

Never thought about the little sharks teeth gnawing away at the fitting or pipe. Guess he would be like a little goat, they will eat anything! Thanks for the advice
Old 01-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Having retired from 40 years of using similar fittings, I can say unequivocally no one on this board will outlive a properly made Shark Bite fitting. They are not new, similar products have been in use for decades in the form of corporation couplings for underground water distribution systems, I never had one fail including when a errant backhoe would dig up a polyethylene line- the line would stretch half again its length, but the joint would NOT fail. Recommending against the use of this type of fitting flies in the face of where modern fitment is going. Similar to sharkbite fittings are now available for installing steel gas lines in residential homes, copper water pipe in commercial hi-rise. Not wanting to pick a fight, but I don't think anyone can reliably quote 3 failures of this kind of fitting. I think it certainly would be appropriate to consider the cost of this convenience, because these fittings are not cheap.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjnfamily View Post
For that camper, I'd choose low end home fixtures.

One gottcha I ran into when putting a fairly nice ($80!) sink fixture in my RV. The darn thing had one way valves in it so when I blew out the lines (I don't use the pink stuff except in drains) I couldn't figure out why that faucet wouldn't blow, except a little from air blown into the shower hose. Thought I got it emptied. After the winter freeze and charging it up the next spring, found that the valves trapped too much water in the pipe, and freezing split it, and the pex it was attached to. One way valves simply aren't needed in a small RV plumbing system. If I'd noticed them, I would have just pulled them out as they were right there inside the male couplers.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing