Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
We use at least 4 apps to find gas/diesel prices while traveling.
My DAT Trucker Services - Trucker Apps: My DAT Trucker Services | CDLLife
GasBuddy - GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada
Love's - Love's Connect
Pilot/Flying J - Pilot Flying J
We then find the lowest and easiest place to get to from where we are. Sometimes it's a no name brand station and sometimes it's a name brand. And that's the order I check them too so you notice which one is last
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Become a Good Sam Lifetime member and apply for the RV PLUS CHARGE CARD and you will receive a .06 discount on gas and .08 on diesel. You will see the discount on the pump before pumping. This seems to be the best card to avoid problems with FJ and Pilot.
Heber Eason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin

I agree, we use the PFJ Good Sam and get 8cents a gallon off on diesel and never go inside for nothing.
x3. Easy in easy out, no hassles and a good discount. I have always gotten the discount.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heber Eason View Post
Become a Good Sam Lifetime member and apply for the RV PLUS CHARGE CARD and you will receive a .06 discount on gas and .08 on diesel. You will see the discount on the pump before pumping. This seems to be the best card to avoid problems with FJ and Pilot.
3%-5% cash-back credit cards are a better deal and can be used on top of any loyalty card (PFJ, Speedway, etc) discounts. 6c per gallon is only 1.5% off on $4/gal gasoline and 2% on $3/gal gas. And you don't have to be a lifetime member of Good Sam to get a 3%-5% cash back credit card.
Shadow520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We are Good Sam Charter Life members and get 8¢ a gallon discount off the cash price. However I've found that we can buy as cheap or cheaper at other stations close by even after the discount. Not worth the hassle to me.
Same here, plus you avoid the hassle of the big truck stops...dirty, loud, crowded, stand in line, etc.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
I agree, we use the PFJ Good Sam and get 8cents a gallon off on diesel and never go inside for nothing.
While I am pumping fuel at the RV lanes, DW goes inside to fetch coffee & doughnuts or ice cream depending on time of day. We each have a PFJ RVPlus card, so the shopping goes on there too.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I have the Pilot/Flying J credit card. When I can find a station to use it I have been very happy with it. Unfortunately I have had problems with the stations I have found:
1. Jarrell, TX - Flying J card for diesel only...not on gasoline. It is advertised as a Flying J but apparently really isn't (but you don't know that until after you have pulled off the freeway and positioned yourself to refuel). >:-(
2. Pilot in Huntsville, TX - was told RV pumps in back had gasoline but they don't. My motorhome would not fit in the front pumps so had to go elsewhere.
3. Last time I used the card I did not get the correct discount but happily it was resolved correctly by calling Flying J.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara S. View Post
I have the Pilot/Flying J credit card. When I can find a station to use it I have been very happy with it. Unfortunately I have had problems with the stations I have found:
1. Jarrell, TX - Flying J card for diesel only...not on gasoline. It is advertised as a Flying J but apparently really isn't (but you don't know that until after you have pulled off the freeway and positioned yourself to refuel). >:-(
2. Pilot in Huntsville, TX - was told RV pumps in back had gasoline but they don't. My motorhome would not fit in the front pumps so had to go elsewhere.
3. Last time I used the card I did not get the correct discount but happily it was resolved correctly by calling Flying J.
A couple of times in Texas I've had the card fail to scan at the pump, but when I go inside they scan it for me and then I fill up no problem, and I get the discount. I'm wondering if all Pilot/Flying J's are corporate owned or if there are some franchises?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I used my Flying-J card seven times last month and paid the cash price less $.03 every time. Since I didn't want to go inside to pay, I lived with the $150 card limit and processed the card a second time. I prefer Flying-J because of the RV islands, water available, propane available and a parking space available for an over night stay. We never used the dump stations that now cost you $5.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #38

I own a retail store and if you use one of those cards that you get 3% back on they charge me more than the normal 2.75% so that is why you don't the cash discount and like mentioned on bottom of page 2 the guy using debit cards gets cash price cause there is no charge to me for using that card besides the .25 cents of card run....at my small business we get about 25 g a month on cards and it does cost...but debit is much cheaper. now imagine the cost of cards for a a business that does 100g or more a month...that's more than I make....jeff
Old 06-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #39

Get used to the cash price and CC prices. With all the CC companies sticking it to the merchants with ever increasing % and fees it will be at more places than just fuel.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
Same as Don. We use the PenFed Cash Rewards Visa for 5% back on all fuel purchases at the pump for an immediate 5% off the next statement ...not the PenFed Plantinum Rewards which give 5 points for fuel with a threshold that has to be met before being able to collect the reward.

-harry
I switched to the PenFed Rewards card when it first came out and the only threshold I'm aware of is the Visa Rewards cards start at $50.00 (5,000 points), which is the way I redeem my points. We only use our coach about 5-6 months a year, so the 3 points at supermarkets (including WalMart) and 1 point for everything else accumulate a lot of points on their own.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #41

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heber Eason View Post
The thing here is that the discount generally get's you back to the cash price. I am a Good Sam Life Member and this card is a corporate card. I was expecting to use the card and get a discount off the cash price, but that is incorrect. The discount is applied to the full price, hence you can us the RVPlus card to pay cash price. I guess it's not a bad deal, just somewhat not what I expected.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Medico,
I am a GS Life Member and have the RV Plus card. I get the published discount off the cash price. I see the price drop at the pump as I complete the process to pump fuel. The card has worked perfectly each and every time. I use the card monthly, sometimes weekly. If you are using the PFJ RV Plus card and registered as a GS life member your experience is not correct. Consider calling the help desk with a receipt, in hand (they will need info from the receipt to see what is going wrong).
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote