Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2017, 04:43 PM   #29

I sense a lotta hostility in this discussion for some reason
Miamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2017, 01:40 PM   #30

I for one commend you for being so hospitable to all your "neighbors." Crazy Ed obviously had no problem with the throngs of people on his property, otherwise he would have closed off access to it. As the Park Service says "Take only photos, Leave only footprints" and so long as you (and hopefully everyone else) did exactly that, Crazy Ed wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Good for you and good for Ed (who's obviously not so crazy after all.)
Percival6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:57 PM   #31

Brings back memories of the electronics stores (and fraud) of the Crazy Eddie Antar days.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:05 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Sorry if you felt my 439 word diatribe was withholding keys facts. If I may, let me expand further:

I was parked in a corner spot adjacent to an open grass field. My slide out was out as my wife was crocheting and had to get to her voluminous supplies that are located in a closet that is not accessible when the slide out is closed. My awning was open extending over the grass area (same side as the slide) and not taking up any precious parking spaces. Grill was NOT going. After he came a-calling the first time, i closed the awning and pulled in the slide. At no point did I commit the cardinal sin and have my levelers down.

In my determination that Crazy Ed was 'GREAT', I implied that I had in fact 'got with' Ed. I have to admit that I did not ask for specific permission to set up a party, but by the time the electric grill was started (using my generator power, not Ed's outlets...), the parking lot had take on a chaotic carnival atmosphere with lawn chairs, telescopes, various improvised and purchased sun shades, with even a confused 18-wheeler cruising on through.

Like any old school woman of Italian descent, my wife had me set up a banquet table, brought out onions, lettuce, tomato, buns to accompany the burgers, whipped up a tomato/cucumber/mozzarella/olive oil salad, heated up some eggplant and asparagus, and gave out cold bottled water to anyone who passed by. We feasted with people we did not know and made some friends along the way. We told old worn out stories to a new audience, talked politics with people who had differing views in a way that highlighted our similarities instead of our differences, explained the intricacies of RV travel, and genuinely had a good time. The crowd was a cross section of America that is not shown on any news channel - peaceful, friendly, open.

Let me know if you need any more facts...
I am always at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:27 PM   #33

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Am I the only one that sees a conflict in the statements "I was parked in a regular spot in a row of semi's" and having the slides and awnings out? Having been in many a truck stop with a 53" X 102' trailer and walking in between parked rigs, I can't see how that is possible? I may measure mine with the slide and awning out just to see, but my mirrors are at 110".
Jerry,

Let me clarify matters by showing a picture:

My RV was tucked in the corner way, way far away from the Pilot store and my passenger side was up against the grass so I COULD extend a slide out AND an awning with NO impact on any other customers. So, see it IS possible!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:29 PM   #34

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Maybe you were in a semi spot that was reserved for someone. Check the website, they take reservations now.

Just checked the Flying J/Pilot APP. It's a small Pilot with only 88 truck spots. I always look of ones with RV parking.

Nope, the reserved spots were way closer to the store with a sign clearly marking them as reserved! See pic below:
Old 08-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #35

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamicamper View Post
I sense a lotta hostility in this discussion for some reason
No hostility - just some entertaining banter from an OP who has wayyyy too much time on his hands!!!
Old 08-28-2017, 07:03 AM   #36

I have never found a dirty Pilot or Flying J and appreciate the 8 cent per gallon discount on top of my cc fuel rewards. I have also never felt that they do not like rv' s. They have a business to run and it is truckers that are their bread and butter so they were only trying to be sure that the truckers had a place to park. The eclipse should not have been a surprise to anyone. Why didn't you plan ahead if you wanted to see it. Don't blame a business because you did not plan ahead. I made reservations in a Dandridge Tn rv park ahead of time
miknkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:45 AM   #37

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by miknkat View Post
Why didn't you plan ahead if you wanted to see it. Don't blame a business because you did not plan ahead. I made reservations in a Dandridge Tn rv park ahead of time
What makes you think I didn't 'plan ahead'? And if you read the posts carefully, I'm not blaming anyone just relaying an incident.

Additionally, what would you have done if it was going to be cloudy and rainy at the Dandridge TN RV park?

For your edification, my planning included:
- buying 10 pairs of ISO eclipse glasses well before the rush of orders. I gave 7 pairs away to friend and neighbors and kept one spare pair that I shared with people at the totality site.
- reading a great statistical analysis regarding the scientific estimate of travel densities related to the totality area of the eclipse: https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/statistics/
- looking at the area of totality and seeing what areas would be along my route from NJ to FL
- reviewing Google Maps ad nauseum to find parking locations in the following locales: Athens, TN, Madisionville, TN, Etowah, TN, and Santee, SC
- identifying 2-3 locations in each town that historically allow unrestricted RV parking including Walmarts, Pilots, Cracker Barrels, highway rest areas, and large shopping malls
- 10 days out start reviewing weather forecasts to see which areas in SC and TN had the best chances of clear weather during the eclipse and update my intended location on a daily basis depending on the current forecast
- 2 days before the eclipse select the Athens, TN area due to an increased chance of afternoon thunderstorms in the Santee, SC area
- While en route, monitor Google Maps traffic in the local Athens, TN area to be forewarned of any mass migration causing traffic which would cause delays or create a need to change my destination

I think I did 'plan ahead'.

BTW, I've already started planning for the 2024 eclipse...