Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2011, 06:00 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What Pitch for concrete pad should I go with?

Guy is coming to form it out this afternoon and pour tomorrow.

Asphalt drive ripped up now and I am pouring a pad for the MH and then the paver will come and pave and ramp up to the pad.

Pad will be 10'2" from foundation to grass, and 30 feet from back to front. 20 feet of the pad will be next to the garage... 10 sticking out forward into the sloped driveway area ( probable 2-3 feet of drop for 40 feet of driveway) so they will have to build up the front area a few inches. Right now I have to add about a four inch mound of stone/wood block to the front of the motorhome and then hit the hydraulic levelers so the front wheels will not come off the ground. If I don't block it the wheels pick up off the ground.

Concrete guy wants to do a 1/4 inch per foot front ot back which would be approx a 4.75 inch drop over the MH's wheelbase.

I an trying to decide if an 1/8 inch pitch front to back would be ok, I think the MH sits lower in front as is without the jacks. I want to be able to pull in and be fairly level without the jacks so I can use it for spare sleeping quarters and also leave the refrigerator on all the time.

I am thinking I'd be better off giving it an 1/8pitch or mabe 2 inch total toward the grass over the 10 feet so the water will tend to flow into the grass away from the foundation/garage area

I had puddling before on the asphalt that was there before and it was no big deal as the puddles dried up in a couple days after rain.

One of the other contractors that estimated the job said the water will puddle and run off as it's up top of a slope so he didn't seem to think the pitch was really necessary. It's not like it always rains here anyway.. just this year lol
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2011, 07:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1/4" pitch is standard but you don't need it in both directions. I would simply pitch it 1/4" per foot over the width and leave the length alone. That will also help keep the water away from your building foundation.

If you did need to pitch it lengthwise I would raise the middle, rather than one end. Place the raised portion beneath the center of your motorhome so that both sets of leveling jacks are at the same height so that you don't have to jack one end up excessively.

If you minimize the pitch to 1/8" you could be left with standing water, especially if you're in a climate that encounters frost heaves during winter.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I'm a general conctractor. I agree with Mark.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Guys came and are doing it side to side, the old timer said that is what I should have... no need to pitch forward. They are going to dig me a trench where the rear wheels sit on the grass edge
( I will be parking with the wheels very close to the edge ) so I can have 11 feet long area that is 10 inches deep of concrete there. One guy didn't think it would go anywhere with the 5 inch pour but the boss said to make me happy
Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
How about crowning it slightly in the middle front to back, like a road.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On the garage side I have 6 inches from bottom of siding to base now. so they will pour up close to edge and angle it from there to 5 on the outside.

I guess I have to wait a week or so before I can park on it. I'll have to take a vacation hehe .
Old 06-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
1/4" pitch is standard but you don't need it in both directions. I would simply pitch it 1/4" per foot over the width and leave the length alone. That will also help keep the water away from your building foundation.
Ditto. Pitch it away from your garage to keep the water from running back to the building. Since it's side-to-side, the total pitch won't be much. If you really need to, you can use your leveling jacks to bring your MH back to level, and it won't take much.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Guy is going to do the side to side.
One of them said the concrete will be 9000 psi in a month?? I seriously doubt they are getting that high of a psi for this job.. they are doing two jobs with one truck load .. Mine at 9 am and then the town over.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ended up with 6 yds 5.75 inches in the back and 10 in the front.. They poured 4K psi with fiber. Was a stiff pour so they earned their money
Pitch had to go 3 inches over the 30 feet so very slight. Also did the inch side to side. Had to do pitch that way at least for the 3 inches as I ended up with that end 10 inches above the grade of the rest of the drive..so they will bring in process to ramp up before paving.
Small world that it is, I use to work the same job site as this contractors father. Father son team that did the pour were good. I have worked with many of the people they have also many years ago so we had fun chatting about it all. LOL here I was worried about who I was going to get and how good they were and I end up with some top notch guys.
Guy that did the most work was old school italian.. very proud of his work and not willing to do a mediocre job. Pride in your work is so rare nowadays.

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions .. first RV pad I have ever been involved with,and help from all who have been there done that is great!!