Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2017, 03:40 AM   #43

I agree, start out with a gas coach that is within your budget. If in a year or two the FT is a good fit for you a new used DP might be the way to go.

There are thousands of used gas coaches out there. Some are junk because they were not maintained and sat out in the weather. Others were someone's pride and joy, well maintained and kept under cover. The rest are in-between the two.

You need to have an attack plan. First pick the length and the floorplan that you like. Then the year range and the mfg & model. Focus your search to those parameters and even with that narrow of a field the search can be exhausting. Without a focus you will get very frustrated very quickly.

Last year we started kicking around upgrading from a 23' Class A with no slide to something bigger(+-30'). I like Chevy's so it would be a Workhorse 8.1. My budget was under $30K, so that put me in the 2001-2006 ish range. I'm pretty handy and also a wood worker like you, so something that needs a little work does not scare me. What I don't want is RUST, so if the frame or undercarriage had much more than surface rust I walked. You simply can't fight advanced rust, it will always win.

Since we are not going FT, the floorplan & model were not a huge factor. I really did not want a bedroom slide since I consider it a unnecessary luxury. But we ended up finding a 2004 coach that matched our other "wants" with a bedroom slide, so we bought it for $23K. I have since put $4K into it....6 tires and an alignment $2600, new shocks, steering stabilizer, sumo springs, serpentine belt, idler and tensioner which I installed myself. So, I'm under my budget and ready to hit the road.

I initially wanted a DP, but after looking at several, they were simply out of my price range....so maybe someday. Mechanical maintenance on a coach & outside of the engine is doable for someone like yourself that already know how to work with their brain and hands. It will however require the proper tools, so before you drive off into the sunset, make sure you have done all the big stuff to your coach. You simply won't be able to carry the tools required to do larger jobs on the road. But you can put together a pretty good mobile tool set that will cover many other issues.

Anyway, good luck......my wife and I have kicked around just doing 6mo or a year to see this beautiful country. We have also contemplated the fantasy of not owning a home. With 100ac and a log house I just built(myself) 5 years ago, it would be really tough to leave.........
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2017, 07:40 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
You will also lose more in depreciation on the dp than the gasser will cost.
Not sure how you figure that. If you buy a used gasser, or a used dp, and keep it for a year or two, I would think they would be about the same in depreciation. Im guessing they are talking about buying mhs in the 10 to 15 year old range. Either one will not depreciate a lot in a short period of time at that age. Of course this is as long as you dont run into something or damage it.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:46 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKind2Anmls View Post
and we have several pets.

We may find we can't live in small quarters without killing each other, or we may find that life on the road is not what we were hoping for.

Any one see any "gotchas" in the plan?
Oh ya, I see some "gotcha's". It's the word "several" as in "several pets". And that could very possibly lead to your second concern, the "being in small quarters without killing each other" part.

IMO...Traveling and seeing the country with—several pets—will be difficult and annoying at best. We have one small Yorkie (an he's great) but even with him, we have to be constantly aware of how long we're gone "seeing the country" when we land somewhere. I know they're are other FTers who have several pets—but for us—it just wouldn't work.

To much noise, hair, different kinds of food, ants & insects crawling into the MH and getting in pet bowls, can't go very far from MH with having to come back and check on them, the smell, takes up to much room, multiple vet bills, annual shots, bathing, combing and grooming, no time for just me & the wife to relax and have quality time, always cleaning up after them all, no matter what size MH you end with, it will always seem to small, it's also not fair to put all your pets in such a confined area and expect them to enjoy it too. I could go on but..... Did I say, it just wouldn't work for us?

Ok, come on you all, let the animal hater comments begin. We're ready.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:07 AM   #46

Lots of random thoughts/ questions here.

Question on the pets. What type and how large? If cats, or small dogs, may not be a problem. We travel with two cats all the time, sometimes with 4, sometimes with a dog as well, no problem.

On difficulty of finding a place to stay. We haven't run into that at all. If full, then move on. Lots of places to stay. Lots of places free when traveling too.

Gasser will probably be restricted to 5000 lbs for the toad. Some diesels are as well. Ours is a 38 foot Newmar DP and it is restricted to 5000 lb. No can tell me why exactly as the brochures all state 10,000, but the data plate says 5000?!?. Anyway we tow a loaded GMC Canyon and are just under 5000 lbs. Can hardly tell it is there.

On FamCamps. Lots of them around, some of them in really nice places too! Fairly inexpensive and conveniently located near Commissary an Exchange. Plus the security of being on a base.

Consider work camping. It will keep you busy and generally allows you to stay "rent free". Meets lots of nice people too! And they do work camping at FamCamps too!

Are either you or your husband retired with any disability? If so, you qualify for the Access Pass for free admission to National Parks and Landmarks, as well as generally 1/2 price camping at Corp of Engineer or National Parks. If you aren't retired, you can still purchase a pass for reduced cost admissions.

We've seldom had bad neighbors at campgrounds, and if we do, we just move, either to another spot, or to another campground! It has wheels, use them!

Although we really like our diesel, and don't think we would ever go back to gas, it sounds like you are on track looking for a gasser, at least first. Once parked, the major difference between the gasser and the diesel is what fuel your generator burns! (as stated before, diesel genny's are generally more reliable and trouble free if properly exercised and maintained). Oh and also bragging rights! Sometimes bragging about how nice your coach is, sometimes bragging about how much diesel repairs cost! Wait, is the high cost of repairs for diesel eligible for "bragging"?!? Anyway, previous care/upkeep/maintenance records are paramount.

Depending on where you plan on spending your time (cold weather, or warmer climes, you may want an "all season's package" and dual pane windows. The mid to higher end coaches will have them.

No mater what you chose, Get it inspected PRIOR to finalizing the deal by a QUALIFIED inspector. Both the chassis AND the coach! Depending on where you find your coach, you may be able to find knowledgeable people here on the forum who may help you with an inspection, or even allow you to visit them and let them walk your through THEIR coaches pointing out likes and dislikes and the reasoning behind them.

Not sure why your DH want's a 2nd library in the coach. One is enough to clean, and we've never had to have the 2nd bathroom. Takes too much room, more to break, and more to clean. Perhaps you can elaborate on is reasoning?

Welcome (in advance) to RV'ing and feel free to hang out/ask questions on the forum. Learn from other people's mistakes instead of making them yourselves!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:07 PM   #47
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"marjoa".....That was one of the most honest posts on pets I've ever read!

We had two labs, one was a pet and one was a work dog (Arson Dog). We loved our dogs, but they never went camping with us, just too much work. When we retired and they passed away, we didn't replace them. The only pet we have now is a desert tortoise. He requires no maintenance or care.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:19 PM   #48

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Lots of random thoughts/ questions here.

Gasser will probably be restricted to 5000 lbs for the toad. Some diesels are as well.

On FamCamps. Lots of them around, some of them in really nice places too! Plus the security of being on a base.

We've seldom had bad neighbors at campgrounds, and if we do, we just move, either to another spot, or to another campground! It has wheels, use them!

Although we really like our diesel, and don't think we would ever go back to gas, it sounds like you are on track looking for a gasser, at least first. Once parked, the major difference between the gasser and the diesel is what fuel your generator burns! Anyway, previous care/upkeep/maintenance records are paramount.

Depending on where you plan on spending your time (cold weather, or warmer climes, you may want an "all season's package" and dual pane windows. The mid to higher end coaches will have them.

No mater what you chose, Get it inspected PRIOR to finalizing the deal by a QUALIFIED inspector. Both the chassis AND the coach!

Not sure why your DH want's a 2nd library in the coach. One is enough to clean, and we've never had to have the 2nd bathroom.

Welcome (in advance) to RV'ing and feel free to hang out/ask questions on the forum. Learn from other people's mistakes instead of making them yourselves!
Good suggestions.
Pre-Purchase inspections are a must for any coach..Used or New.
For Your "trial balloon" 1st coach, like I said before..inexpensive gasser at least a bit longer length than you think you want, What you pay for it will be about what you can sell it for after a year.

As for requiring a 2nd "library room", and slide outs up the ying yang...Wait on that until you decide whether or not the full time RV'ing is for you.
There are a multitude of threads about slide issues, most are on the older lessor quality gasser coaches.. Just about what your 1st coach will be.. but you are only looking at a years worth of use before selling it off or trading it off.. so should recoup whatever it cost you.

Personally (when we spec'd out our "forever coach" see sig tag)
We went with a single living room slide,& pass thru bath area instead of a separate toilet closet, reason being that the access was not hindered,(ADA/handicapped approved and "pocket doors" for privacy). for the bedroom, no slide.. wanted to retain the north/south walk around bed so the DW could take a nap while en-route to wherever (and have direct access to the top of the engine for maintenance)and a side radiator, also for engine access.

And on most coaches the plumbing/extra tank/dump issues are a convoluted nightmare to use & maintain with a 2nd library..IMHO

Another possible plus is that our coach is totally usable without having to extend the slide, most times We do not extend the slide unless we are camped for a week or so.

But as said, for your trial balloon coach..USE the "KISS" formula... You do not need the excess "bling"and slides up the ying-yang to see if full time RV'n is for you..
First you must walk before you can stroll...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Not sure how you figure that. If you buy a used gasser, or a used dp, and keep it for a year or two, I would think they would be about the same in depreciation. Im guessing they are talking about buying mhs in the 10 to 15 year old range. Either one will not depreciate a lot in a short period of time at that age. Of course this is as long as you dont run into something or damage it.
I think the fraction will be about the same but the dollar value will be higher on the DP because the DP will cost more for a given year.

I also think the gas will be at least as reliable as the DP and cheaper to repair. The DP has more things to fail and higher cost to fix them compared to gas.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:52 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Oh ya, I see some "gotcha's". It's the word "several" as in "several pets". And that could very possibly lead to your second concern, the "being in small quarters without killing each other" part.

IMO...Traveling and seeing the country with—several pets—will be difficult and annoying at best. We have one small Yorkie (an he's great) but even with him, we have to be constantly aware of how long we're gone "seeing the country" when we land somewhere. I know they're are other FTers who have several pets—but for us—it just wouldn't work.

To much noise, hair, different kinds of food, ants & insects crawling into the MH and getting in pet bowls, can't go very far from MH with having to come back and check on them, the smell, takes up to much room, multiple vet bills, annual shots, bathing, combing and grooming, no time for just me & the wife to relax and have quality time, always cleaning up after them all, no matter what size MH you end with, it will always seem to small, it's also not fair to put all your pets in such a confined area and expect them to enjoy it too. I could go on but..... Did I say, it just wouldn't work for us?

Ok, come on you all, let the animal hater comments begin. We're ready.

We probably qualify as "dog lovers", have had them for the last 40 years. Large 100 pounders. Have camped with up to two. A lot of work, with out question, in my opinion. I equate each large dog to one teenager when camping. We don't attempt to take the feral cat with us.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:12 PM   #51

Thanks for the suggestions/comments about the pets. We will only be taking cats with us. Our big, big dog is older and I don't think we would consider hitting the road as long as he is with us. Cats sleep most of the time and will probably get even more attention from us living in small quarters.

I appreciate everyone who took the time to respond. We will be thinking about your comments and as usual, we will probably change our mind about certain things several times over the next year.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:21 PM   #52

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKind2Anmls View Post
Thanks for the suggestions/comments about the pets. We will only be taking cats with us. Our big, big dog is older and I don't think we would consider hitting the road as long as he is with us. Cats sleep most of the time and will probably get even more attention from us living in small quarters.

I appreciate everyone who took the time to respond. We will be thinking about your comments and as usual, we will probably change our mind about certain things several times over the next year.
If at any time you need to talk or pick the "communities brains" ..Let 'ER Rip ..Tater Chip!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote