Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2020, 12:38 AM   #1

Platinum DEF ???

Just received a sale flyer from NAPA which included a sale on DEF: standard Blue DEF for $12.49 and Platinum Blue DEF for $19.99 (ouch). Has anyone heard of an "improved" DEF that's hitting the market? All DEF has to meet the current standard as required by the fed agencies.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2020, 05:40 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Never heard of it.
We get our DEF at Walmart at just under $7 a jug (2.5 gallons).
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:40 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
This is what they claim;

"With continual use, BlueDEF PLATINUM™ with ADVANCE SYSTEM SHIELD™ technology reduces the formation of future deposits that build up in your diesel exhaust system."
Old 11-22-2020, 01:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like marketing technobabble to me. You use the stuff and have no "future deposits", so they can claim it worked. But if you didn't use, would you have had any "deposits" anyway? And if you did get some sort of deposits, how would you know if Platinum would have prevented then somehow? In other words, no way to prove or disprove their claim. Especially since the sort of "deposits" aren't identified.

Note that those "future deposits" can't be in the engine, cause the DEF never goes there. It gets sprayed into the exhaust system, after the engine but before the catalytic converter that is part of the DEF system. So any "deposits" would have t be in the exhaust system, not the engine.

I suppose there could be some sort of deposits if you were using a homebrew, impure urea fluid as your DEF, but it seems doubtful with commercial grade DEF fluid, which is very pure and made with de-ionized water.. The DEF itself produces only water and nitrogen as it reacts, so no deposits there. Any unused DEF exits the exhaust as ammonia, but there is supposed to be a catalyst to convert that to a harmless substance as well. So where do these "deposits" come fro?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Sounds like marketing technobabble to me. You use the stuff and have no "future deposits", so they can claim it worked. But if you didn't use, would you have had any "deposits" anyway? And if you did get some sort of deposits, how would you know if Platinum would have prevented then somehow? In other words, no way to prove or disprove their claim. Especially since the sort of "deposits" aren't identified.

Note that those "future deposits" can't be in the engine, cause the DEF never goes there. It gets sprayed into the exhaust system, after the engine but before the catalytic converter that is part of the DEF system. So any "deposits" would have t be in the exhaust system, not the engine.

I suppose there could be some sort of deposits if you were using a homebrew, impure urea fluid as your DEF, but it seems doubtful with commercial grade DEF fluid, which is very pure and made with de-ionized water.. The DEF itself produces only water and nitrogen as it reacts, so no deposits there. Any unused DEF exits the exhaust as ammonia, but there is supposed to be a catalyst to convert that to a harmless substance as well. So where do these "deposits" come fro?
If you ever spill any on the floor come back after it dries and you will the deposits they are talking about
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:03 PM   #6

I can certainly agree on the "technobabble" comment. I also have been buying my DEF at Wallyworld and haven't had any issues. Thanks for the comments above folks.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:06 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ted View Post
If you ever spill any on the floor come back after it dries and you will the deposits they are talking about
That is just the dried urea, add water and watch the deposits disappear back into solution.

“Platinum def” sounds like a total marketing gimmick. Def is 32.5% urea and 67.5% deionized purified water, nothing more nothing less.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:14 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The "Improved DEF" means it has improved the ability to empty your wallet faster than the regular DEF.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:10 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
The "Improved DEF" means it has improved the ability to empty your wallet faster than the regular DEF.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:23 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Yep, just like anything "new & improved". Anyone seen one of these? Wonder if it's smaller than the 2.5gal we buy from WM but priced the same (or more).

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:30 PM   #11

So I've run my 6.7 L Cummins on the Walmart brand of DEF for the 100+K miles I've owned the truck.... $7.88 at my local store... as I remember... I've had one DEF related code and I pulled the injector (DEF INJECTOR) and found that the end of the injector had a huge clump of crystal deposit... I wiped it off... took some spray carb cleaner(good stuff) and sprayed it clean and wiped it clean.... and than ran the test cycle per the manual to make it spray.... re-installed it...(very simple task) cleared the code and that was maybe 40K miles back... I have no clue if the Walmart brand is the cause.... but Cummins talks about this injector getting deposits on it and having issues no matter what brand of DEF you use....

Maybe.... Maybe the NAPA stuff might prevent that.... and if I'd taken it into the dealer I'm sure he's have said I needed a new injector + installation + diagnosis fee's.... maybe $500.... anyone know if I'm close on the price.... but my simple fix took care of it.... THANK YOU "TURBO DIESEL REGISTER"..... So I'm not interested in anything more than what I'm using.... it works....
Old 11-23-2020, 11:03 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

They also sell "premium diesel" fuel at some stations. Anything to get a few extra bucks from us.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:33 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
In order to meet the requirements, all DEF must be basically the same.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
In order to meet the requirements, all DEF must be basically the same.
Maybe they homogenized it so it doesn't separate, like cream from milk,
davis2 is offline   Reply With Quote