Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2008, 05:27 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Interesting possibility Gary. I haven't decided on what would be the best course of action as yet. The heavy 12V are still a option. If I could find a comparable from Excide that would be a good match.
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2008, 01:38 PM   #30

My battery tray will hold 3 size 27's and I could not figure on a way to use 4 6 volts without going to dry cell which I am reluctant to do.

So I went with 3 12v Trojans at 215 AH each. They have a 27 footprint but are 18 inches high. They are a common size J-185H used to power floor machines. I have them connected in series with 2/0 and use 2 2/0 for both the plus and minus going to the inverter from battery #1 and 3. The 3 give me 645 AH. I also installed a good AH meter, check the water level frequently and keep the terminal clean.

A good AH meter really helps out in determining the condition of your batteries. It will tell you when your batteries are fully charged, how many amps you are using and how many AH you have used and of course the voltage.

I did a cost/AH comparison of several battery types, voltages and sizes and found these to be the most economical in a deep cycle.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #31

I'm jealous of your battery compartment height. I can't do more than 12"....which limits my options.

Good luck with your configuration. Sounds like you've got all the amp power you need.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:53 PM   #32

I think this is my very first post (be gentle, eh?)

Anyway,
Don't tell anybody this but the Missus, (aka "thecuban") are seriously considering chucking everything we own into the front yard and taking off in a Class A. Thats besides the point, back on topic.
I'm involved in the Marine industry as a surveyor.
Every issue broucht up here is one that boaters have, and I must say, some are rather passionate about it.

Here are some ideas...

the + on first, - on last is a great idea.
Weak cells, one or more will drive you nuts and make your charge last a very short time, and shorten the rest of the banks life.

wander into your local tractor supply outlet & look for a group 30, or 31. They're real close to a group 27 size, and lend themselves quite nicely to the 12 volt needs of the sailors... those are some of the guys that wander offshore for a couple of weeks without the benefit of a genset. Or, if you've got the room, a couple of t-105 6 volt golfcart batteries work well too.
I'm not sure if this link will come thru, but, heres a shot
http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm
CardiacPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the link Paul, the "12 volt side of life" site is pretty well known here. Welcome to the site, lots of good info around here. Lots of opinions in all different directions too. Thats good though, it makes for a lot of possibilities for each problem.

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote