Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2020, 11:08 PM   #43
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
JRS
looks like you have a great coach. What do you call terrible fuel mileage and how many miles on it. I'm hoping to move up to a DS next winter. It will be a used one. About a 07 or 08. I'm collecting information as I go. Lots of good suggestions here.
Thanks in advance.
My 2019 DS after 12000 miles is just getting into the very low 7's. Something in an 07-08 will probably be closer to 8 mpg. My 2019 weighs in at 42K with the upgraded frame and all tile floors.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2020, 05:47 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
In recent years the meaning of CCC has been abused for advertising purposes. From the 2017 Newmar LE 4037 brochure... “Payload” which is closer to NCC, not CCC.

Using the CCC calculation for a trailer were only water (no fuel) is deleted as referenced in the ^^^ above post is misleading at best in regards to a MH.

Many older 40’ DPs (with a single 20K rear axle) have very little CCC (personal stuff you can put in it) and weighing is very important ... hopefully before you buy it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9512699B-5FFC-4F2A-909C-08B55B387A09.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	283121  
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:15 AM   #45

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
In recent years the meaning of CCC has been abused for advertising purposes. From the 2017 Newmar LE 4037 brochure... “Payload” which is closer to NCC, not CCC.

Using the CCC calculation for a trailer were only water (no fuel) is deleted as referenced in the ^^^ above post is misleading at best in regards to a MH.

Many older 40’ DPs (with a single 20K rear axle) have very little CCC (personal stuff you can put in it) and weighing is very important ... hopefully before you buy it.

Well lets get straighten the terms out. Here is what the "Recreational Vehicles Industry Association (RVIA), RV Dealer’s Association (RVDA) and RV Safety Education Foundation (RVSEF)."

NCC (Net Carrying Capacity), used from 1996 – 2000, is the maximum weight of all personal belongings food, fresh water, LP gas, tools, dealer-installed accessories and other items that can be carried by the unit.
CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity), used Sept 2000 – present, means GVWR minus the following: UVW, full fresh (potable) water weight (including that for the water heater) full LP gas weight, and SCWR. Note: Remember that optional accessories or equipment not included in the UVW will take up part of the Cargo Carrying Capacity.

SCWR (Sleeping Capacity Weight Rating) is the manufacturer–designated number of sleeping positions multiplied by 154 lbs (70 kgs).

UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight) is the weight of the unit as built at the factory. with full fuel tanks, engine oil and coolants. The UVW does not include cargo, fresh water, LP gas, occupants or dealer-installed accessories.

Payload: Payload capacities generally are computed by subtracting the curb weight of the vehicle from its specified Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). The addition of any optional equipment or passengers adds to the vehicle weight and subtracts from the allowable payload.

https://www.your-rv-lifestyle.com/vehicle-weight/
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:45 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Interesting given the above, and the sticker in your rig showing CCC, that Newmar is still using NCC in their brochures.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:26 AM   #47

A very interesting thread--the more I read it, the more I realize just how many "types" of RVers there are. Discounting trailers, 5th wheels, Class Bs and Cs; and Class A gassers; I realize how diverse the Class A DP community is.
We have been part-timers for 17 years and 185k miles with the same 2003 Alpine coach. Now in our mid-60's, we are slowing down a bit--mostly as a function of "been there, and done that!" Over the years, we have averaged 10-12k miles per year, with two major trips per year[a month or two], and several more short duration trips. For our travel purposes, the older DP has been very satisfactory--well-appointed [floor tile and solid-wood cabinetry] and very comfortable. No tag, 12k front/19k rear axles, 400ISL [good MPG], lots of basement storage, one bathroom, plenty of CCC or NCC, or whatever. The 40ft length and older 48 degree steer cut has occasionally been limiting for access to older/smaller CGs.
Bottom-line: shopping for our first and only DP, 17 years ago, we thought shorter DPs might be too small [also liked east/west bed config.] and also thought the idea of a 42-45 tag probably didn't fit the "type" of RVing we envisioned doing--interestingly, that view hasn't changed much for us. Perhaps if we would of had the opportunities to traded rigs ever few years, our view would be different--or maybe not.....good luck!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:37 PM   #48

Forest River Owners Club
My 34' 1997 Bounder gasser has a tag, but doesn't seem to have a substantial increase in load capacity. Perhaps it's to support it's big heavy bump-out, because I lose a basement 'bayload'.
IBCNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:13 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGhost View Post
Ok, after pulling a 34' rv trailer for many years, I'm retiring next year and considering a Country Coach with a tag axle. Specifically a 40' Allure. I understand the need for the larger coaches that need to handle the weight or even some that want the extra capacity if pulling a large trailer but specifically , as an owner what are the advantages to the driver? Better tracking, stoping, etc? This is a shorter coach and as such there has to be some justification for the extra cost, etc.

Owners please chime in and thanks for the perspective.
We have a 40’ could not be happier we are FT and we have plaint of space the tag it’s a joy to drive, it feels solid on the road no swaying, no trucks pushing you to sides, tracks beautifully, I ave no problem stoping but you feel the weight, and besides it looks good too

Zzotte
Old 04-30-2020, 10:58 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
I just got a DSDP 40 feet with tag. The tag turns in the opposite direction of the front wheel at slow speed in forward. It does not turn in reverse but rather the airbags empty. It makes real tight turns. I come from fifth wheel experiences. I love how it handles on highway as well as in close quarters (compared to 5th wheel). I have 2 problems with the MH. Most important one is you cannot reverse when you have a toad attached. The second is the tag wheel alarm comes on when you start up, stays with the pressure up and on one occasion stayed on for 15 miles. It is at Freightliner shop now being checked.
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:54 AM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
Less chance of having the rear end come around on you.
Whar???? Doesnt your motorhome have ABS?

I've never even dreamed the rear tires locking up in the rain.
Roadwarrior7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:08 AM   #52

Wind Stability

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuperheat View Post
The tag provides better overall handling, ride, does not get pushed around in wind (some of this is also the overal weight), provides greater stopping and greater carrying capacity.

Downside is two more tires and some loss of storage. I don't feel I need more storage and buying 8 tires instead of 6 is not a deal breaker for me.
Sorry but a tag doesn't always help in the wind. I have one and I got pushed around pretty good all the way from Utah to Texas and back again. Even thought I was going over a few times. Only able manage it by stomping on brakes when I felt a gusty.
Klieva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:23 AM   #53

Country Coach Owners Club
I can only give you my experience. My first coach was a 40" dp non tag. It was susceptible to wind and passing trucks as well as porposing. After a few years we went to a 45 dp tag. And like night an day. Little effect from wind or passing tractor trailers. The added operational cost assuming a 7 year life span on the tires is $225 per year. Best / cheapest handling improvement you can get. the ride is FAR superior. two items of note. It has a tighter turning radius than my 40 did and with the extra 5 feet, much easier to maneuver in parks. Also in tag coaches the front axle capacities are higher because the tag allows you to move the center of gravity forward. As for mileage, what I found most interesting is that I went from 38,000 lbs with a 400 horse CAT c9 to 52000 lbs with a Cummings ISX 600 horse with little or no change in mileage. Flat and level the Cummings gets a bit better up and down hills the cat did so net net about the same. I guess the better question is this a coach you drive some where and camp for the season. Or like us not more than a few days or a week anywhere.
jwlce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:03 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
I've heard it cuts into fuel millage. I don't know but would like to find out how much difference there is
Uncle Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #55

Tag axle

I have a tag axle on my Allegro Bus. It really helps on a windy day. It is a diesel pusher so motor housing is above tag axle. One thing no one has mentioned is that the feds require all motor homes over 40' to have a tag. Some states don't like MH above 40' (actually a law except on interstates). A tag axle tells the man that you are above 40', ticket to follow. A lot of NE states and I believe CA. are that way. I have never been given a talking to on an interstate, but state roads are different. The safety of a Tag is much higher.
oubruceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:50 PM   #56

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klieva View Post
Sorry but a tag doesn't always help in the wind. I have one and I got pushed around pretty good all the way from Utah to Texas and back again. Even thought I was going over a few times. Only able manage it by stomping on brakes when I felt a gusty.
Unless you drove the same coach with no tag, how do you know the tag doesn't help in the wind? Without a tag, it might have been worse.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote