Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2021, 06:31 AM   #1

Exclamation Please help me!!!

i am a proud momma of 3...ages 10 girl 5 boy and 3 boy...we currently live full time in our 1990 winnebago itasca. It has been an adventure to say the least lol but ive learned so much and have had the greatest time being unable to escape my children. My kids and i have all been working together as hard and as fast as we can to fix this beautiful girl and sell her to maybe another family whose life could only be improved by the full time rv experience and the amazing group of people that come with it. We want to use the money to buy a home set down roots and try another way of living. For that to happen lol ive got to really put some tlc into this girl more so than i also have. Any help yall could give me would be so much appreciated...i have no clue what else to do to up the value of this rig...so far engine work is complete she runs like a champ... fridge is good water pump awesome...issues...e brake doesn't work found that out when my 3 year old crashed us into a 2020 titan and nearly caved in my back room...light is good but lens toast[Mod Edit]... any advice on turning the shower into a sitdown bathtub id love you forever and if someone could please explain why my water hose when hooked up but not in use can fill my fresh water tank all the way in the back till its overflowing and causes my bathroom floor to flood would save my life. Please please just email me or text its so much faster. I have no family other than my kids... we are on our own and due to school and sports and therapy and trying to fix this beauty i have not been able to work other than freelance gigs here and there so money is tite time is of the essence and if u think its too complicated or hard for me to figure out on my own youd be wrong dont tell my kids but im secretly wonder woman in disguise
Left2Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2021, 06:57 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
There’s a lot of Itasca models - it would help to know your specific model and model #. Also if resale is your goal, I would avoid any modifications and stick to making the coach look and operate as close to original spec as possible. Good luck with this. Sounds like an adventure!
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:12 AM   #3

The Winnebago Brochure Archive is a good place to start. Both for you to know exactly what you have, and potential buyers to learn about your coach.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:40 AM   #4

Wounder Woman,

Generally speaking we on iRV2 like to post answers publicly. Often other's have the same or similar questions. Also, we often have different expertise and so can contribute more options if we work together. Feel free to respond publicly as answers are posted. Pictures often help a lot.

Your post is a lot to absorb. I wish you good luck with all the family issues. I am not the best a dealing with those things.

"... any advice on turning the shower into a sitdown bathtub id love you forever and if someone could please explain why my water hose when hooked up but not in use can fill my fresh water tank all the way in the back till its overflowing and causes my bathroom floor to flood ..."

My advice on turning a shower into a sit down tub is to not do it. Of course it can be done, but most RV's have showers for lots of reasons. Maybe someone has done it and will report how well it works.

The water hose issue is a plumbing problem. Different RV's are plumbed in different ways. I expect yours has a valve in the wet bay. Turn it one way and it fills the on-board fresh water tank. Turn it another way and it connects directly to the internal plumbing.

Of course you have the valve set to connect directly to the internal plumbing. Leaving it "on" the tank fill setting will lead to overflow of the tank. Water will go where ever pressure and gravity takes it.

Sometimes the valves fail. Water continues to flow to the tank and it overflows. Rebuild or replace the valve.

My RV has two fittings on the outside for the water supply connection. I choose one or the other depending on my needs. My fresh tank overflows to the outside through a vent line.

Your vent line may have become disconnected or is cracked and is leaking inside the cabin.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:11 AM   #5

Ur awesome

Yall are awesome and amazing...especially in regards to the valve...i did not even think about the fact that id turned it and i can actually recall the exact moment i did it so thank you!!! Right now most of the improvements have been mechanical like sensors distributor rotor tune up and all that jazz...new motherboard on furnace replaced the gas lines fixed the water heater...stained and sealed the wood finishings replaced the carpets tuned up the generator uldated the inverter...tore of the old trimming that was warped and looked like it was covered in oil...replaced the water lines and the faucets bathroom kitchen and shower. The roof was only bare metal when i first bought her so sealed it with the flexseal tar and then added 4 coats of the elastomeric paint. Im giving her a new paint job replacing the vents would like to replace the stove and fridge they work just ugly outdated and dont match well...and honestly the whole shower bath thing i totally get is a big undertaking with a lot of risks and if it goes to someone without kids then no biggy but as a mom with 3 abd just the shower OMG NEVER AGAIN a bath would've saved me so much time and energy. I was also wondering...i was debating taking the dinningtable/bed and having it more as a pull put or fold down from the side and use the extra space underneath for additional sotrage sorta like the whole breakfast nook bench with the the bed as the table top/cover. Lastly...my awning is torn not too bad but its molded and stinks and just hideous...someone suggested replacing it but to save money using a cheaper fabric....thoughts?

1990 Winnebago Itasca Spirit built on the p30 chassis with the 454 7.4 big block
Old 01-03-2021, 09:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
i have no clue what else to do to up the value of this rig
I wouldn't spend any money on it that was not absolutely required to keep it functional. Nothing you can do to a 1990 motorhome is going to increase its resale value - it long ago reached the floor in its value/price. Probably around $10,000 today, while prices are hot.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:45 PM   #7

Spend no real money. Cleaning. Things like cabinet and drawers working. Screens fixed. Window dressing or those cleaned and working.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:53 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might check out this FB group for updating ideas that won't break the bank.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/rvinteriorideas
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:25 PM   #9

Do not throw a bunch of money at this with the intent to sell. You WILL NOT get that money back on the price of the sale. Clean it up the best that you can and don't make a lot of custom changes that will suit you but may make it either more difficult to sell or worth less money. For instance you mentioned painting it. Are you contemplating a professional paint job or diy ? A professional job will cost more than it is valued at. If you are doing it yourself do you have a place to do it and painting experience. A poorly done backyard job will decrease the value of the coach.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:46 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
An even bigger detractor from the value of that coach, is personalizing things. Fix what doesn't work and put it up for sale. In good condition and in his market, NADA shows it's worth about $5K.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:39 PM   #11

I gotta wonder what anyone thinks any of us can do to improve this family's situation.
Three young kids. No real job. A rv worth little. Buy a house?
This family needs help. And it ain't from suggestions to spend money they don't have on an almost worthless rv.
Good luck.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:03 AM   #12

Well tell me what you would suggest i do when i have 1 child with asthma who could easily die if he were to catch rsv not to mention a 2 year waiting list for daycare at the 13 daycares that exist in my area and no family to help? Should i sit here and cry feeling sorry for myself? Should i gamble what little i do earn and hope to win it big risking losing it all? Hey...i know...maybe i should get up off my butt not play the pity party and do the best i can with what i got and ask for help to figure out what i cant on my own and make things happen using the tools i got...wait a sec...im already doin that!!! So keep ur negativity to yourself...unless u wanna write check to improve my situation then maybe youd have some leeway in having a nasty attitude towards a mother who isnt giving up. Thank you and goodluck improving your negative disposition.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:11 AM   #13

I am doin it myself and yes i have a place to set up so not ruined by the elements. And no im not a professional by any means but i do have experience in both home and auto in regards to painting...im fairly confident in my ability. I was originally staying with the same color's and design but its just so ugly lol and outdated...ive decided to change up and go with the black and white theme. If unthink leaving the shower and bed alone would be better then ok thats enough votes against for me to give up the idea...everything i have for it is going to be sold with it like the jacks all the drain equipment pressure regulator window insulators and so on...i even installed a tv myself. All that has to give it value right?
Old 01-05-2021, 01:38 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Can you post a picture? Black and white might not increase your resale - and as you know it's much harder to change to a new outside color than to redo the existing color with touch up, buffing, and wax.

Maybe save the paint money, and spruce up the inside - floors, upholstery, etc for a better return on your investment and hard work.

Just my 2 cents...