Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #57

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have worked around and on electrical and mechanical things my entire life. When I bought early in our lives is was always used because we couldn't afford new. I knew that I would work on it. As we got older and made a little more $$$ we bought new and used the warranty. We bought our first MH back in 1977 again in 1999 and TT's in 2010, 2012, then our current rig in 2013.

I never had the $$$ to always buy new and when we bought our RV's I knew I would be working on them. If you have the bucks great. If you don't then you better have the skill, talent and the desire to learn. For me that's half of the fun of owning an RV.

You will never get one that is trouble free because it is electrical and mechanical. We choose this coach after we took the factory tour. Even though they are built by humans there are things that you can do that will help. Everything that is bolted to the walls has a metal brace so the attachments are into metal. Your S&B house uses wire nuts that screw together. WBGO won't use them because they vibrate lose. Our TT last year had a loose connection on the furnace which took me a month to figure out. It took about 4 seconds to fix it. A good connection would have avoided it. Every completed WBGO coach runs through a water bath with slides in and out. Our coach does not leak.

Car/truck and commercial vehicle manufacturers expect their stuff to be driven long and sometimes hard. They have guarantees that they have to live up to so they are made fairly well. The RV industry and especially the TT industry does not. It is my guess that a fair number of TT units are setting next to the garage or barn after a few summer vacations and when the newness wears off. When the majority of units produced by the TT industry see very few miles annually why spend the $$$$ to make a unit that could go 50,000 trouble free miles if you don't have to???? From their financial view it makes no sense. So that's what you get. Axles & tires that are under rated for the weight they are to carry. I have read mant times when a guy will spend $3,000 - 5,000 to upgrade his TT with new rims, tires and axles. Why? Because he wanted a better margin of safety. Find me a TT that has axles rated for 1,000 pounds higher than the max the unit is designed to carry. Our MH is and probably most of them are. They for sure don't have axles rated at 1,000 lbs less than the max weight. I know the tongue weight is carried by the TV. That still leaves little margin for error.

Purchase what you feel comfortable with and just enjoy. Even when I buy new I'm always trying to improve it. My DW calles it PUTTERING!!

TeJay
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Owning a motorhome is like owning a Harley. If you own one you know it's true.
woodfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:14 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well you have heard all very good answers from everyone and there are not many dumb people on these forums or stupid people for putting up with all the mess some dealers put us through.
I have owned many TT's and motor coach's and came to this forum for answers to problems and got them and offered a few myself.
I assume that's what you here for with this thread you started if your still here and interested in going further into the RV lifestyle than come and join all of us crazy people and enjoy to your hearts content.
I and others will be here to help answer some of the questions that will surely come from you because the perfect coach will be in your dreams.
That's what irv2 is here for and we can provide many links to answers so you understand what you have gotten yourself into without the dream coach you thought you got.
You can use this link to get started for systems that will be in your coach and as a newbie which at one time we all were, we have this to increase your knowledge of the RV world.
So you have a good start which many of us never had before irv2 came into the world if you gain all this knowledge in coming years you can take over my spot when I have to retire from irv2, there will be newbies coming into the RV LIFESTYLE as you are with the same question WHAT ARE YOU CRAZY.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:17 AM   #60

When it comes to RV's, I've learned two things. They come partially assembled and you don't buy them for mileage!
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:43 AM   #61

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearaboo View Post
When it comes to RV's, I've learned two things. They come partially assembled and you don't buy them for mileage!

Or, I might add, to watch them appreciate in value......