Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #1

Plugging into house

Is there a problem plugging into the house using a converter plug that allows it to be plugged into house current? It seems to be working ok.
Richard2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #2

Heartland RV Club
As long as you don't use more than what the house plug is rated for ,15 amp,20.30. Charging ,tv etc. Mine is in my driveway plugged into a 50 amp plug ,with the ac running. It's hot in Tallahassee today.
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
It depends. If you're trying to plug into a regular 120VAC 15 or 20 amp plug, it will work OK (assuming no GFCI problems), but you'll be limited as far as current draw by the circuit breaker protecting the circuit you're plugging into.

On the other hand, do NOT try plugging into a dryer-type plug just because it might look similar to a 30 amp RV plug. The dryer plug will feed 240VAC while the RV is wired for 120VAC. You can roast a LOT of expensive stuff in the RV!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! As you can probably tell, many of us do just what you're asking about. I spend at least a month each summer at my FIL's place plugged in to only a 15 amp outlet. We can't run at large power hogs but by limiting the AC current the battery charger can draw, running the water heater and refrigerator on propane we're fine.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Only Problem is what I call Eva Gabore syndrome (She played a character called Mrs. Douglass on a TV show called Green Acres who keep plugging in too many appliances and blowing up Mr. Douglas' generator)

You can run, at most, one of the following:
Air conditioner
Space heater
Microwave
Water heater

Perhaps a television on top of that

AND THEN, only if the batteries are fully charged (Else the charger draws more current)

That's the only real problem

If the plan is to run nothing but the converter and a few lights.. No problem
Old 12-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When at home I just plug into a 15A 120V outlet on the front of the house. Sure your limited to what you can use but it is primarily for just lights or to maybe run the vacuum. Usually two day before we leave I'll fire up the refrigerator and we're good to go. If it should get warm we just start the genny for a/c until we're done doing what needs to be done. Has always worked for us.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
I do not believe you said how close you will be to the outlet in the stick house. If you must use an extension cord to get to your RV, line loss in that cord will also limit available electricity. Meaning if you must use an extension cord, you might want to make it a 10 or 12 gauge wire. Hope this helps.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Great point.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
do NOT try plugging into a dryer-type plug just because it might look similar to a 30 amp RV plug. The dryer plug will feed 240VAC while the RV is wired for 120VAC
True of the older 3-wire 240v 30a outlets, but the newer 4-wire 240v 30a outlets CAN be used with the proper adapter. I made one by buying a 4-wire dryer pigtail and putting a 50a female receptacle on the loose end. We plug into our son's home every year with this adapter. It will provide two 120v 30a lines as opposed to the standarad two 120v 50a lines. But the standard warning applies ...if you don't know what you are doing, don't mess with electricity!!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
AFC... You are taking a serious risk doing that.. I have seen many welder/compressor outelts where the safety ground (The 3 wires are L-1 L-2 and safety ground, not neutral) is like 12 ga, .

Not nearly enough to carry a sustained high amprage load..

Since the danger here is a FIRE... I would do my very best to avoid doing that kind of thign.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #11

I have always (better than 30 years) stored my RVs by plugging them into the house to keep the frig on 24/7 and to run a small fan during the hot SoCal summers. Currently I have a 30 amp connection on the house which I use to plug in the 50 amp RV line. When visiting friends up North we often plug into their 15amp garage line, which is sufficiant to maint the frig (5amps) and a few lights.
Just a note: I have a small light always plugged in and showing through the window when I am plugged into the house. This way, if the breaker were to pop, or if someone brushes by the plug and pulls it out I can see the loss of power and fix things before all my propane is used up by the frig switching over. Yup, it did happen before.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
I have seen many welder/compressor outelts where the safety ground (The 3 wires are L-1 L-2 and safety ground, not neutral) is like 12 ga, . Not nearly enough to carry a sustained high amprage load..
...which is why I said, if you don't know what you are doing ...which includes knowledge of what is required of the outlets you intend to use ...don't mess with it.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote