Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2021, 03:14 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Pocket door failure

I need help on repairing a pocket door on our 2003 Dutch Star. When the door is closed (see photo #1), it aligns properly and closes completely. When in the stored position, the bottom sticks out about three inches, but the top of the door aligns properly (see photos 2 & 3).

It would seem that either the roller at the top/rear of the door or the track has come loose. But, how do I get to it? There is absolutely no clearance inside the pocket to see into, nor access to any door hardware.

Any help will be appreciated, especially by DW!

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - Closed.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	318406   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 - Bottom, stored.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	318407  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3 - Top, stored.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	318408  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2021, 03:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It seems to me my door is that way. My roof is curved, but my walls are straight. As the door opens along the curved track, it imparts a slant in the door. So you can choose to have the door (1) close flush with the jam, (2) open flush with the pocket, or (3) not be flush in either position. I, like you, chose #1.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:22 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Not the case here. This ceiling is flat. And, we have owned this MH since new in 03, and the door just failed about a month or so ago.

John
Old 02-17-2021, 03:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypto Weenie View Post
Not the case here. This ceiling is flat. And, we have owned this MH since new in 03, and the door just failed about a month or so ago.

John
I think you have a screw that came loose from the track where it mounts to the ceiling. Unfortunately, I think the screw in question may be in the pocket area. Can you raise the door manually and take it off the track and out of the way to inspect?
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:43 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Not possible. he door fits into the pocket tightly. it's not possible either lift it or move it sidewise within the pocket. Newmar obviously did not want anyone fooling with it LOL
Old 02-17-2021, 03:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Not possible. he door fits into the pocket tightly. it's not possible either lift it or move it sidewise within the pocket. Newmar obviously did not want anyone fooling with it LOL
Hopefully you can remove the mirror or whatever is on the other side of the wall to gain access for an inspection. Maybe after removing mirror, you can cut a hole in the top area to gain access to the track, then the mirror would cover your cut lines?
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:53 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As luck would have it, there are mirrors on either side of that wall - bathroom and bedroom. I told the wife I would remove one and cut into the wall to affect the repairs. I won't repeat her response here. Like I told her through, either we live with it, or I cut a hole unless someone on this forum comes up with a better idea.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:59 PM   #8

Had a similar issue on my '04 MA. Molding on both sides conceal the track and rollers. I removed the molding on the bedroom side, using caution so I could replace it in one piece. The rollers screws were loose. I removed the screws and put some expanding gorilla glue in the screw holes and replaced the screws, added a shim beneath the door until the glue dried. Then replaced the molding with screws so if needed, I could easily remove it.

It appears the way the door is hanging it is your inside roller. Access will require entering the wall. Turn the power off and remove the light fixture first to see if you can see the track and roller. Perhaps the molding behind the light is separate from the mirror and mirror frame.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:04 PM   #9

Quote:
As luck would have it, there are mirrors on either side of that wall - bathroom and bedroom. I told the wife I would remove one and cut into the wall to affect the repairs. I won't repeat her response here. Like I told her through, either we live with it, or I cut a hole unless someone on this forum comes up with a better idea.
Just saw the post - You took the words out of my Mouth or out of My Keyboard.

There is a chance that one of the two mirrors already has access behind it - it had to be attached at some point. I'd take the Time to Beef up the screws you use, would not want it to happen again.

Post pictures with the Solution.

Best of Luck,

note here a call to Newmar service might lend some info
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:13 PM   #10

John-

Some thoughts:

1) If you push on the door at the bottom, when it's open, does it rotate upward, leaving the edge vertical and flush with the opening? If so, that might indicate the track has come loose at the outside end.

2) There should be a hole through the wall for the 12V wiring to the bathroom vanity light "bar." Could you remove the "bar" and see inside the wall?

3) The bathroom mirror design seems a bit odd; it looks like a beveled-edge glass surface-mounted to a piece of oak. I wonder if that isn't some clue about how to get access to the pocket-door cavity.

Here is a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts with the phrases "Dutch Star" and "pocket door" in them.

Here is a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts on the Newmar Owner's Forum with the phrase "pocket door" in them.

Someone will be along shortly who knows exactly what to do, of course.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:27 PM   #11

Looking at your picture again I'd bet there is access beneath the panel above the light fixture. It is in the right area and may be held in place with screws concealed by the light fixture. Access should be able to be gained without removing the mirror.

Or it appears there is a cabinet in the bedroom. If so, check the back of it for access. I've found Newmar does a great job of concealing access points.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:36 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
1) If you push on the door at the bottom, when it's open, does it rotate upward, leaving the edge vertical and flush with the opening? If so, that might indicate the track has come loose at the outside end.

2) There should be a hole through the wall for the 12V wiring to the bathroom vanity light "bar." Could you remove the "bar" and see inside the wall?

3) The bathroom mirror design seems a bit odd; it looks like a beveled-edge glass surface-mounted to a piece of oak. I wonder if that isn't some clue about how to get access to the pocket-door cavity.
by pushing back on the base of the door while it is fully inside the pocket, I can cause it to shift back into place. However, I do not hear anything shifting around like a loose track or roller.

The bathroom mirror is puzzling; there are no screws anywhere holding it to the wall. I did remove the light fixture, but the wires to the fixture come through a small hole, barely large enough to allow them through. It has to be retained in its position by some means, but short of prying the mirror or the oak surround away from the wall, I'm at a loss.

The bedroom mirror is below a cabinet, the inside of which does not offer access. That was where I thought about cutting an access hole to the pocket interior, until DW stepped in. LOL
Old 02-18-2021, 05:36 AM   #13

Rather than destroying something, if you are near the mothership, I'd make an appt and take it there. Then you'll have it repaired correctly and professionally and it won't cost that much. Maybe you can get some other stuff fixed while up there? Would be a nice road trip.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:11 AM   #14

The access to service or remove the pocket doors in my previous Holiday Rambler was accomplished by removing one of the two small panels above the door opening. That will give you access to the door trolleys for height adjustment or to release them from the door, so that the door can be removed.

With the panel removed, you can release one trolley from the top of the door and rotate that end of the door out of the opening, while sliding it in the closed direction, the other trolley will become visible and you can detach that trolly from the top of the door and remove the door completely by continuing to rotate it out of the opening.

My Holiday Rambler doors were made of a metal frame, sandwiched between two wood panels. The screws that held the trolley brackets would begin to pull out of the thin metal frame, due to bouncing down the road, causing the weight of the door to yank on the screws. That allowed the door to sag. Moving the trolley bracket to new holes, or reinforcing the mounting structure will fix the problem.

As has been mentioned, the track can loose a screw and also the door to sag. I had the issue on the Holiday Rambler too. That took every one of the socket extensions that I own to reach into the opening. After removing the door from the track, I worked from the floor in the door opening, into the pocket in the wall at an angle to replace the missing screws. I had a 1/4" socket holding a magnetic Phillips screwdriver bit on the one end of the extensions and a drill on the floor end. I was a test of patience, but it did repair the loose track.

You may have to investigate the best way to remove the header panel, but that is where you will gain access to the door. You may need to locate a couple of screws from the inside of the opening at the top of the door. or under the wallpaper.

I hope this helps.
Sherpa Vern is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
door