Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2007, 05:07 PM   #1

Considering building metal box for PB shell with long side hinged door. Will be 5"x24"x11'. Mounting under and at edge of MH long ways between tires at baggage compartments. Will not be as low as jacks, tanks and other stuff. What do you think? Better idea? MH roof, rear, side or Dingy won't work. Thanks for you thoughts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2007, 05:07 PM   #2

Considering building metal box for PB shell with long side hinged door. Will be 5"x24"x11'. Mounting under and at edge of MH long ways between tires at baggage compartments. Will not be as low as jacks, tanks and other stuff. What do you think? Better idea? MH roof, rear, side or Dingy won't work. Thanks for you thoughts.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I thought of that a few times but never had an adequate space under the rig for the Port-a-bote box, so didn't try it. And I always worried that that is the part of the chassis most likely to kiss something I wished it did not.

If you have the space and it is as high as you describe, it seems it should be OK???
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:27 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I too have looked at mounting the Porte a Bote under our MH. I'm worried about possible high centering on it. Still when we get our rig home I'll do some measuring. I sure don't want to put it on the roof. I have also thought about mounting it vertically behind the MH with a custom rack mounted to the hitch.

What about the motor??
Old 09-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #5

I opted for the roof with the convenient mounts that they have available. Mine was too long to mount to the rear and I didn't consider the undercarriage, although there are pictures of one owner who did mount his there on a fifth wheel.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:18 AM   #6

If you will look carefully, you will find that the items you mentioned below your MH, jacks, ect., are mounted near the axles. Your metal box will be mounted so that it spans a lot of space between the axles. Before you buy the boat and build a complete box, Just hang a piece of 5" X 11' plywood or even cardboard in the same space. Then drive over a few curbs, Speed bumps, Railroad grade crossings, and the like. Listen for the scraping sound. You will get the idea with a lot less time and money spent.
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been looking into a PB and I think it would have to go on my roof also.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:13 PM   #8

Thanks for all your comments. I too am still concerned about clearance. I store my Mh with 100 or more coaches. i measured several,will have as much net clearance as several other manufactures. Won't be getting off the road. About putting on the roof. I don't want to climb a ladder 13' up with 1-hand carrying a 10-12' board weighing 60-70 lbs with other hand. Tough.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #9

Good point.
I don't think I could remove mine from the roof while carrying it and I'm about 20 years younger than the average RVer.

I pass mine down to my wife and it's worked well so far.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:42 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

We carried a P-B on the roof of a fifth wheel and later a motor home and getting it up/down was no problem. I put a bath towel over the edge of the roof and just slide the PB over the edge. Never actually lift it at all, except to stand it on end leaning against the side of the RV. But our last two motorhomes have so much stuff on the roof (3 FF fans, shower skylight, two a/c, satellite, tv antenna, etc) there was no space large enough for the PB to lay down - our 12 footer was 13'4" long when folded. I think the newer square stern models are shorter, though.

We finally sold the PB. Am thinking of a Zodiac type now.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:49 AM   #11

Use both hands to climb the ladder with a rope attached to your belt. Have the other end of the rope attached to the boat. When you have made your way to a secure position on the roof, pull the boat up with the rope. Simple and safe. OBTW It is best if someone on the ground helps you to hold the boat away from scraping against the side of the MH. JMHO!
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #12

There's also the option/choice for using the PB brackets and mounting it horizontally along the side of the RV.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:06 PM   #13
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Luckily my motor home has no slides so the Porta-Bote hangs from the drivers side. The factory was nice and sent the diagrams where the aluminum framing was located. I was able to then drill the holes and use large aluminum rivets to hold the brackets. So far, so good....
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:43 PM   #14

Prior to my MH I carried the PB on the side of my TT. Worked just fine. However my MH exterior paint has MSRP of $8K. I'm not drilling into that. Thanks to all. If you see me hung high center down the road, please stop and help.