Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2016, 09:22 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Portable Heaters

We will be boondocking in the Q this winter, been looking at portable propane heaters and looking for suggestions on what others are using.
Thanks in advance for your help.
More-Gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There are two ways to go. If you plan to be there for several months and have a need to use a propane heater in the future, then something like a wall mount Olympian Catalytic heater is a good way to go. You can connect it directly to your propane tank and it doesn't require any power.

The other way to go, is something we use when we boon dock once a year for a week at Yosemite. It's called the Buddy Heater and comes in two sizes. Here is a link...https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F23...s=buddy+heater

Quartzsite is warm enough during the day, that you'll probably only need the heat in the evening. The Buddy heater can be operated with the disposable green propane canisters or off of a propane tank. In a coach your size, you can probably get about 4-5 hours on the low setting, per propane canister.

You can bring a BBQ size propane tank and buy a refill valve from Harbor Freight that allows you to refill the small green canisters. In an emergency two years ago, my daughter's heater quit in her trailer while we were at Yosemite. I took one of those propane poles where you can attach multiple propane operated items, attached it to a BBQ sized propane tank and placed it outside their kitchen window. With a BBQ hose, we attached the Buddy Heat, through the window, with the BBQ hose. It gave her the use of a large tank while keeping it outside.

The Buddy Heat has a tip over switch and CO sensor, so it won't kill you in your sleep. With that said, a window(s) should always be left ajar for fresh air flow.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by More-Gas View Post
We will be boondocking in the Q this winter, been looking at portable propane heaters and looking for suggestions on what others are using.
Thanks in advance for your help.
We also use the Buddy Heater and it works great. I buy a few of the green cans and can go for a couple of days easy if only using low for a couple hours in the mornings. It is nice because you can move it around inside the coach if needed.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Big Buddy here as well. Plumbed to the large onboard propane tank. Works well. Crack open a couple windows and ceiling vent for ventilation.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:32 PM   #5

Just be careful for leaks on the Buddy heaters where the canister screws in, I had one catch fire and melt when there was a leak around the canister about 20 years ago.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:12 PM   #6

Non Vented Heater Issues

I have been in the plumbing and heating business for many years. Unvented heaters, as described in earlier posts work well. Opening a window is also good advise.

But all of those heaters will fail at some time, and produce carbon monoxide. The open window will vent the carbon monoxide, but the wind can change direction, and keep those gases in the vehicle.

Why not just use the vented furnace in your rv? Being cheap and dead is not my future. Being in the business for this long, I have buried more than one good friend who died of carbon monoxide.

Just cause somebody sells it, doesn't mean you have to buy it.
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:54 PM   #7

I've used the Big Buddy heater for years with zero problems. We only use it in the mornings as we have enough bedding to stay nice and warm during the night. We have Boondocked for 30 + years playing in the So Cal deserts and at Quartzsite too ! I think if your going to use hoses etc to double check for leaks with a little bowl of water and a drop of liquid soap. Use a old toothbrush to brush solution on fittings for your own piece of mind. Quartzsite is usually only nippy just a little in morning and then warms right up. Got to have a lot of Solar/Batteries to use 12volt RV heater all night. I have enough Solar/Batteries to run mine but that constant switching on and off keeps me awake. But you could easily run your 12volt heater for a hour or so in morning with no problems. Run generator at dinner time to keep things charged up.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:52 PM   #8

Vented Catalytic Heater

http://ventedcatheater.com/6.html
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:30 AM   #9

Big Buddy, attached to a dedicated stubbed out quick disconnect below our refrigerator. (Note: Our large on board propane bottle now only feeds our stove top. We changed to residential fridge, and use HydroHot and Electric Floor Heat for heating purposes. So plenty of propane!)

We crack the windows, open the kitchen roof vent about 2", place the Big Buddy on the table. When boon docking in 34-36 or below temps. We use it on high with the fan on for about 10 minute to remove the chill, then loafing along on the lowest setting for as long as needed.

We have added additional smoke and carbon detectors in the coach. Front and bedroom areas, plus the coaches OEM units.

Another benefit of the Buddy, is you can take it outside to keep you toasty while watching the stars at night. We often will have our Amazing Campfire in A Can going, and the Buddy on and set behind us pointing towards the rear of our chairs. (Teton's, Yellowstone, Cody, Borrego, etc. - watching the stars when bundled up in temperatures down into the 20's, with assisted human safe consumable anti freeze - are some of our favorite RV'ing memories!)

Have fun, be safe, best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:36 PM   #10

Using a Catalytic Infrared Heater is the best but they are expensive. Your next choice should be a Ceramic Infrared Heater. They are great so long as you have space as touching the front of the unit will be hot enough to burn. Your third choice should be a Blue Flame Heater.
I would not use a Heater Buddy unless it was a Vent Free model.
I also wonder, why not just use your furnace?
Vibiojj83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:09 AM   #11

We use a blue flame heater, with thermostat. It works well for us.

gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use an electric one that has a fireplace feature. It's been good for 8 years now...I like the look of it while it's on. If without hookups it might not be a good option though, most of the time we have an electric hookup.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed a Stay A While tee so I could connect a 20 pound bottle to the motor home. That way I could refill the tank and didn't have to move the motor home. After a couple of years I started carrying a 20 pound bottle so I didn't have to fill it as often. I also started turning the water heater off at night to save propane.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thomas View Post
I have been in the plumbing and heating business for many years. Unvented heaters, as described in earlier posts work well. Opening a window is also good advise.

But all of those heaters will fail at some time, and produce carbon monoxide. The open window will vent the carbon monoxide, but the wind can change direction, and keep those gases in the vehicle.

Why not just use the vented furnace in your rv? Being cheap and dead is not my future. Being in the business for this long, I have buried more than one good friend who died of carbon monoxide.

Just cause somebody sells it, doesn't mean you have to buy it.
The fan in the vented furnace can quickly run down the batteries. Not a big deal if you are on shore power, but the OP said he is boondocking. Having a heater that doesn't use electricity is a big plus.

The ventless heaters don't emit CO when they go bad. The emit CO right from day one, when working perfectly. Your propane stoves also emit CO, but we haven't quit cooking.

I guess the second friend who died didn't learn anything from the first. He didn't leave a window open, and he didn't have a working CO detector.

Phony scare tactics really aren't helpful.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater