Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2014, 07:39 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sam's Club had one in stainless steel for $99.00
rgmiller32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 05:33 AM   #16

The reason I have started checking into an ice machine is I need more room in my freezer. So I was thinking of removing the ice maker and tray from it. From what I understand I will still need a location to keep the ice in the freezer. This will be only for our (2 of us) personal use and not parties.

pasdad1 - I don't have room for a portable freezer.

rgmiller32 - This is one that I am thinking about getting.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #17

I am rethinking my comment about not having enough room for a portable freezer. I may actually have a spot for it. I need to figure out if the outlet at that location will be hot when I am on the inverter.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I am rethinking my comment about not having enough room for a portable freezer. I may actually have a spot for it. I need to figure out if the outlet at that location will be hot when I am on the inverter.

The type I posted above will automatically switch between 12 volts and 110 volts using whichever is available. That makes it more convenient to find a power option which works. Also the temperature control can be set to refrigerate or freeze, whatever you need.

There are smaller ones available, but usually this one fits into a basement storage compartment without problems.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:02 PM   #19

I have the Edgestar and LOVE it!!

Sits right under the convection oven. Never again without ice!! or running the store!!!!!
Old 07-23-2014, 09:10 AM   #20

Will the ice stay frozen in the ice makers? It will defeat the reason of removing my frig ice maker to get more space if I still have to keep the ice in there.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #21

Yes. If you need more than the capacity of the tray, transfer it to your freezer, top off the tank of the ice maker and repeat.

Nice thing I like is that whey you turn off the unit, the ice melts and you can restart the process the next day.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Will the ice stay frozen in the ice makers? It will defeat the reason of removing my frig ice maker to get more space if I still have to keep the ice in there.
No the bin is not refrigerated. As the ice melts the water drips back into the tank.
The good news is that if you start it at 2 o'clock the bin will be full by 4 o'clock when happy hour starts. If you are a little conservative with useage it will keep up with four people.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
No the bin is not refrigerated. As the ice melts the water drips back into the tank.
The good news is that if you start it at 2 o'clock the bin will be full by 4 o'clock when happy hour starts. If you are a little conservative with useage it will keep up with four people.
Not sure why you say it melts in the bin? Mine continually makes batches till it is full then stops producing till you use some. Sure it will slowly melt over time. Have absolutely no need for fridge icemaker as you lose 1/2 your freezer capacity.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Got mine at Home Depot last Christmas. It was branded Magic Chef. Cost $99. Works great. We fill a quart Ziplock with cubes and put them in the freezer for cocktails when we want them. We make ice about once a week.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #25
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Not sure why you say it melts in the bin? Mine continually makes batches till it is full then stops producing till you use some. Sure it will slowly melt over time. Have absolutely no need for fridge icemaker as you lose 1/2 your freezer capacity.

The OP wants to replace the ice maker that is installed in the freezer with the countertop portable. Not sure it would stand up to 24x7 constant use in this fashion. Since the ice bucket is not electrically frozen, the ice is in a constant state of melt.....and the machine has to keep remaking it over and over again.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:04 AM   #26
Community Moderator

Quote:

Hi reubenray,

If you are still interested in the portable freezer, here is a thread which discusses the best one to buy....

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211431

Please keep us updated about your decision.....if you go with the ice maker - how well does it work? If you go with the basement freezer.... Which one would you choose?

Old 07-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #27

Quote:

A Zip-lock bag of ice is easier to find a spot for, than the freezer space required for the built in ice-maker.
JMHO: Then there's the issue of water content/quality of the park water, not every parks water is what I consider drinkable even though it is technically safe. If I won't drink the water why would I make ice cubes out of it.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:17 PM   #28

I ended up getting a Magic Chef ice maker at Home Depot. There was one sitting by itself on sale for $98.