Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2021, 10:33 AM   #1

Portable Satellite question

Want to get TV reception in our Coachman Clipper. Thinking portable satellite dish. Know nothing and would like to get educated. Thanks, Kurt
trebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2021, 11:55 AM   #2

Dish Tailgater is the one I've heard good things about. Have several friends with them that like that they are really lightweight and they can quickly move them around easily. I ended up repairing one friend's unit when a stiff wind blew it off the slide he'd put it up on. He'd put it up there for the extra height because it wasn't picking up a good signal anywhere on the ground around his 5th wheel.

But that's for Dish network. For DirecTV, there's King brand...

Personally, what I have is the roof mounted DTV Winegard SWiM system that all I do is press a button and it deploys, searches for a signal, locks on, and I have satellite TV. If I want to, I can change the head and switch to DishTV for around $1500 or so. I love it because when I arrive at an RV park, I plug into electric, go inside, level the RV, extend the slide, and then press 'Deploy' on satellite and after I get back in from connecting the water, it's ready to go.

Years ago I had a big satellite dish and tripod and had to manually set it up...boy what a nightmare. Got used to it, but it wasn't easy even then...always something going wrong.

You kids have it easy these days, just hauling out a portable dish, setting it on the ground and going back inside to watch TV. In my day we used to just watch a pile of rocks for entertainment.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:01 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
The Winegard Pathway X2 has the largest antenna, which gives the best reception of an automatic antenna. Plus, it will receive both the East and West satellite arcs. It is the largest size if storage is a problem. It gets its power from the receiver. I have a Carryout G3 that I use when the Trav'ler is blocked. It works great but does require an included power supply to insert power over the coax. It is Western arc only.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:50 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Dish Network Playmaker roof mount satellite dish and use it with a Dish "Wally" DVR. This setup works well for us all the way from Michigan to south Texas
Vibeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:21 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Winegard Pathway X2 is a better antenna than the King Tailgater. Add a Wally receiver and get set up on Diah month to month.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:02 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We use Dish. We have a Hopper 3 receiver in the house and a Wally with Tailgater dome in the MH.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We use Dish. We have a Hopper 3 receiver in the house and a Wally with Tailgater dome in the MH.
This is what we have. Works very well in our rig!
Nlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:16 AM   #8

Whichever you choose I know the tailgater will not work through the park cable connection without a mod to connector box at the tv.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:21 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use a Wally and Tailgater with some success.

Problems come up when near trees and branches with the small antenna. Not enough dish area to collect a stong signal without drop outs and such.

In those cases I break out the big dish antenna and tripod. It has 3 LNB's and does a great job locking onto the satellites.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:29 PM   #10

Winegard Pathway X2 is a really good antenna.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite