Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2008, 10:01 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to docdavis
I was trying to hook up a CB and now my speakers don't work and the map light stays on. Any help dully appreciated.

06 Winnebago 38' Adventurer
docdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2008, 10:01 AM   #2

I was trying to hook up a CB and now my speakers don't work and the map light stays on. Any help dully appreciated.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Doc,
Without knowing what you did in the way of hooking and unhooking wires it is difficult to say. I believe your coach came pre-wired for the CB so that all you needed to do was match the wires from the unit to the harness in the coach. The CB harness in my coach is just left of my left foot while in the driving position. It does sound as if you have created a short. Does the map light stay on even with ignition off? Have you checked the switch that controls the map light (mine is a dial that also controls a spot behind drivers head). Perhaps others will be of more help.
Welcome to IRV2 - Happy Trails !!
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I may be worse than what Jack mentioned, in his post. There are a lot of ways to hook up after market products. Consider cutting your losses and starting from scratch. Disconnect the connections you made. Did the problems go away?

If they went away, pay homage to the RV gods and see if you can find the harness Jack mentioned. If you can not find the harness:
1. determine if you want the radio powered by the chassis (engine) battery or the coach batteries.
2. Which ever you decide will be the power source make sure the ground is for the same battery set (chassis or coach).

If when you disconnected your original wires the problems did not go away, I am sorry, but I can not help. Each coach model is so unique it may be time to let the pros take a look.

Lastly, there is one thing you can try, if the problems remain. The many connectors, in the dash area are notorious for coming loose. This is especially true if you pull the dash or are moving connectors around as you reach up under and into the rats nest of wires. The only way to determine if a connector or wires within a connector have come loose is to look really closely for wires that lead to know where. Then try to find a mating part/connector in the immediate vicinity of the lost wire/conector. This has happened to me more times than I care to count.

For future consideration, when I get a new coach, the first time I pull the dash, I run 4 new wires of my own. One set is a + and - from the chassis batteries and the other set is from the coach batteries (fused of course). I lable the wires. From that point on, the only wires I mess with are the wires I installed.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:07 PM   #5

Thanks for the imput guys I will Try and see if anything works, I may end up in an rv shop enroute to destination. Again thanks for the imput.