Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2021, 03:34 PM   #29

Sadly. FORREST RIVER HAS BEEN LYING TO ME. I WAS PROMISSED REPAIR OF CURRENT INFESTATION AND REPAIR OF FUTURE INFESTATION BUT THEY REFUSE TO PUT THIS IN WRITING. I AM NOW FILLING OUT THE PAPERWORK FOR THE STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2021, 12:15 PM   #30
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjgraves10 View Post
Sadly. FORREST RIVER HAS BEEN LYING TO ME. I WAS PROMISSED REPAIR OF CURRENT INFESTATION AND REPAIR OF FUTURE INFESTATION BUT THEY REFUSE TO PUT THIS IN WRITING. I AM NOW FILLING OUT THE PAPERWORK FOR THE STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL.
WARNING: This is probably going to come across as harsh. If I got this situation completely wrong I will apologize in advance. In any event, this will be my last post on this thread.

As the saying goes: If you keep on doing what you've been doing you're going to keep on getting what you've been getting.

• First you wrote that the dealer said they would replace the wood and you refused their repair attempt (post #16).

• Now you're saying that Forest River has said they would repair this damage and future damage yet you seem to have refused that repair attempt (post #29).

• In both cases YOU have refused to have the problem resolution even attempted, not the dealer and not Forest River.

The first refusal was because you did not think it would work (post #16) and the second refusal was because someone would not put something in writing the way you wanted it.

As I wrote before, I believe you need to work through the steps offered by the manufacturer and their representative (the dealer) or you almost certainly will get slapped down by the legal system. That's the way the world works, whether we like it or not.

• In post #14 you also wrote that you are ill and this may be your last summer. Yet you have to know that going the legal route or the government complaint route is slow as heck, if even that fast. So apparently, for whatever reason, you have chosen to pursue a path that may not end until after your life has ended.

At that point your dispute will be rendered moot and your heirs will be stuck with dumping a damaged trailer. And a trailer that will have even more damage than it does today because you refused to have any repairs attempted.

• In post #19 I asked you what it is that you expect Forest River to do differently. It reads to me like you have refused two offers of repair attempts. Other people have also stated that you're not getting a new trailer unless you go the legal route and even then it's very iffy.

• I always shake my head when someone Internet wannabe lawyer screams MAKE THEM PUT IT IN WRITNG! or TELL YOUR EMPLOYER TO PUT IT IN WRITING!

NO ONE is going to commit to ANYTHING in writing, including you and me, unless they are legally required to do so and sometimes not even then.

Even if they do, the commitment will not be open-ended and will be so full of lawyer-approved ambiguity that it's rendered almost meaningless.

• Forest River (and your dealer) have written warranties and contracts, ones you explicitly agreed to accept when you finalized your purchase. From what you've written here, it comes across to me as if they are trying to comply with the signed contract but you are the one who is not.

• You also have to know that EVERYTHING you have written here will be subject to legal discovery if the process gets that far. In post #7 you actually wrote:

"If I am not fully compensated for the powder post beetles damages, then billionaires owned companies will be given the right to steal from me."

That statement will be used by the other side to place doubt on what your true motivations are, whether it's accurate or not.

Yes, the whole situation just sucks but life happens.

No manufacturer is intentionally going to use damaged wood knowing that it will blowback on them. Manufacturers can and have gone over and above their commitments and also not done so.

You know, you sound like a very decent, non-spiteful person who is not looking for anything extra, just what you paid for. If I were in your situation, with what you have divulged here, I would get the repairs attempted and see what the final report says as to the extent of the infestation.

Then I would sell the trailer and include that repair report in the purchase documents and put this whole distasteful situation behind me and leave it there.

Good luck,

Ray
Old 07-31-2021, 05:39 AM   #31

Acceptance is the 11th commandment

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
WARNING: This is probably going to come across as harsh. If I got this situation completely wrong I will apologize in advance. In any event, this will be my last post on this thread.

As the saying goes: If you keep on doing what you've been doing you're going to keep on getting what you've been getting.

• First you wrote that the dealer said they would replace the wood and you refused their repair attempt (post #16).

• Now you're saying that Forest River has said they would repair this damage and future damage yet you seem to have refused that repair attempt (post #29).

• In both cases YOU have refused to have the problem resolution even attempted, not the dealer and not Forest River.

The first refusal was because you did not think it would work (post #16) and the second refusal was because someone would not put something in writing the way you wanted it.

As I wrote before, I believe you need to work through the steps offered by the manufacturer and their representative (the dealer) or you almost certainly will get slapped down by the legal system. That's the way the world works, whether we like it or not.

• In post #14 you also wrote that you are ill and this may be your last summer. Yet you have to know that going the legal route or the government complaint route is slow as heck, if even that fast. So apparently, for whatever reason, you have chosen to pursue a path that may not end until after your life has ended.

At that point your dispute will be rendered moot and your heirs will be stuck with dumping a damaged trailer. And a trailer that will have even more damage than it does today because you refused to have any repairs attempted.

• In post #19 I asked you what it is that you expect Forest River to do differently. It reads to me like you have refused two offers of repair attempts. Other people have also stated that you're not getting a new trailer unless you go the legal route and even then it's very iffy.

• I always shake my head when someone Internet wannabe lawyer screams MAKE THEM PUT IT IN WRITNG! or TELL YOUR EMPLOYER TO PUT IT IN WRITING!

NO ONE is going to commit to ANYTHING in writing, including you and me, unless they are legally required to do so and sometimes not even then.

Even if they do, the commitment will not be open-ended and will be so full of lawyer-approved ambiguity that it's rendered almost meaningless.

• Forest River (and your dealer) have written warranties and contracts, ones you explicitly agreed to accept when you finalized your purchase. From what you've written here, it comes across to me as if they are trying to comply with the signed contract but you are the one who is not.

• You also have to know that EVERYTHING you have written here will be subject to legal discovery if the process gets that far. In post #7 you actually wrote:

"If I am not fully compensated for the powder post beetles damages, then billionaires owned companies will be given the right to steal from me."

That statement will be used by the other side to place doubt on what your true motivations are, whether it's accurate or not.

Yes, the whole situation just sucks but life happens.

No manufacturer is intentionally going to use damaged wood knowing that it will blowback on them. Manufacturers can and have gone over and above their commitments and also not done so.

You know, you sound like a very decent, non-spiteful person who is not looking for anything extra, just what you paid for. If I were in your situation, with what you have divulged here, I would get the repairs attempted and see what the final report says as to the extent of the infestation.

Then I would sell the trailer and include that repair report in the purchase documents and put this whole distasteful situation behind me and leave it there.

Good luck,

Ray
Well Ray YOU ARE RIGHT! I have gotten demanding. I was offered repair that my research says will not work. I thought that I deserved better than a useless patch just to have the problem reappear. I did not refuse their initial offer of repair. It was offered by the local dearer but could not be done until the manufacturer sent a work order. when I left the dealership that day, it was with the understanding repairs will be done. This is the problem, the manufacture did not send the work order. Then Forrest River ask me to write up the terms of the work order. I did and they ignored it. I ask 3 times and each time they responded with, we will fix it. But they did not send the work order, and refuse to be specific about what they will do. Obviously nothing! You have been helpful in that I see how they are making me appear to be the obstinate party here. It may be unjust to have future repairs at my expense. And I still haven't found an exterminator that will even try to fix my beetle problem. So my dream RV is not a dream but my final nightmare and there is nothing I can do about that. Please note that I do mean it, you have been helpful. It is very hard to accept that I have been cheated. You helped me see I must.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjgraves10 View Post
I applaud your efforts and I think going to the state AGs will make a difference. I got an issue resolved in 2008 with Hewlett Packard in 3 weeks thanks to the CA AG's office intervening. They are particularly tuned in when seniors are impacted, and when defective products can lead to powder post beetles being transported across state lines.

I even suspect some posters are currentcor former RV manufacturer or dealership staffers. Advice that you should just take what you're being offered and live with it, or that your passionate comment about billionaire owners being used against you in court is disingenuous nonsense.

I have expertise in treated wood products, having sued the EPA over arsenic treated lumber called CCA. The lumber I am finding inside our newer coach is not treated at all. Hopefully kiln dried. The wood used in the framework is lightweight on purpose, as RVs are being bulit to be lighter and lighter.

I am a big fan of boric acid and borate gel products, but theres no way to treat all the wood. Tenting might get most of it, but it could come back 3 years down the road. If you have powder post beetles in your home they advise you throw away all the furniture. You cant bomb with boric acid. Cats cant tolerate it either. And unless you took the entire RV apart, you couldnt use the boarate gel, which is a brush on product.

When you speak with the AG, suggest to them that a recall of all affected models should be considered. If yours got PP beetles, then any other models made on that line using the same untreated wood, are likely also PP beetle time bombs. Traveling and spreading PP beetles as they go from state to state. There are state ag laws about this kind of issue that the AG will know about.

A buy back is a fair and reasonable solution, esp since you have a pulmonary disease. Most especially.

These PP beetle infested RVs need to be taken off the road, scrapped, and the wood burned. Period.
WalkTheWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:21 PM   #33

...and if the AG can't help you, which I doubt, this would make a dandy class action suit, as there are others who would gladly join in.
WalkTheWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:38 PM   #34

Sorry, the screen jumps. Cell phones are difficult
I agree with you. I will continue to fight.