Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2022, 06:16 AM   #1

Power Gear 3-leg, Semi-Automatic Leveling.

Scratching my head a bit here and looking for someone who might know a thing or two about the old Power gear leveling system.
I have the "obsolete" power gear 3 cylinder "semi-automatic" hydraulic leveling system.
This system will only "run" when the coach engine is running. I want this to work when the engine is off. I do not like to start the engine every time I want to adjust the jacks.
I have downloaded the manual from Lippert's site, and the wiring diagram shows auxiliary pin #4 as the oil pressure input. Any idea on how to fool the system to think the engine has oil pressure and is running ? I have tested the signal at pin 4 and it does not switch to 12v power, or ground ,when running.
The stewart warner oil pressure sending unit my coach uses has a signal range from 240-33.5 ohms.

*Also, I understand they did this for less strain on the batteries, but I'm plugged in 99% of the time and don't want to start the coach every time I use the levelers, especially at home in my driveway, or when we are leaving a campground extra early. So, no need to tell me that.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2022, 08:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Can you disconnect the wire at pin 4 and measure the voltage to ground? With and without the engine running? Or is the PG controller passing a current through the pressure sensor to measure resistance? If it is measuring resistance, just substitute a resistor that matches the resistance of "adequate oil pressure".
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:09 AM   #3

It seems to me all I had to do was have the key in the on position. It didn’t actually have to be running. But now I’m not sure.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Can you disconnect the wire at pin 4 and measure the voltage to ground? With and without the engine running? Or is the PG controller passing a current through the pressure sensor to measure resistance? If it is measuring resistance, just substitute a resistor that matches the resistance of "adequate oil pressure".
Yes, have tested for both ground and power @ pin 4 while the engine was off and running. The feed to the box does not ground or power when running. Then I added a 100 ohm resistor, also no go.
Now, to be clear, I'm doing all this at the control box in the basement @ pin 4 from the wiring diagram.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
It seems to me all I had to do was have the key in the on position. It didn’t actually have to be running. But now I’m not sure.
Not on my '99 Dream. It must be running. Looking through various Power Gear manuals, it appears the model I am using is the only one that has an oil pressure feed circuit. Also, the original manual that came with the coach also states it must be running. And finally, mine will only work when it's running like it states.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:58 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply's. It's not really a big deal and I may have to live with it. I'm thankful they still work after 22 years. I certainly don't want to poke around and fry an obsolete control board or something.
Old 05-29-2022, 11:57 AM   #7

I thought exactly of 100 ohm resistor but there's probably a reduced voltage coming back from the sending unit to the gauge that changes with the pressure.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, power, power gear