Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2023, 09:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I don't use a pressure washer anywhere on my MH. Regardless of how 'weak' the stream of water is, it might still drive water where it should not be, either inside or outside.
Those pesky pressure washers sure have a mind of their own
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2023, 09:25 AM   #16

Don’t wash any Diesel engine, period
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 09:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
I sure wouldn't do it. Too many electronic connections, pulley/fan bearings, alternator, etc.

Use a can of WD-40 and a roll of paper towels to degrease/clean.
I like to use, on all our farm diesels and others, an air hose with a 3’ copper blower attachment which does a pretty good job at removing diesel accumulated dust. I also am not a fan of hosing down the complete engine, but I know many probably do it. Selected areas may be ok.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 11:32 AM   #18

I began pressure washing all my automotive engines when points and distributors went away. I use a 2500 psi washer but with a wide pattern nozzle and I am selective about where I direct the spray. Several gas and diesel engines without any problems. I wash them often so there's never a difficult buildup.
Old 03-20-2023, 06:21 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I gently pressured washed my Cummins ISL and got several warning lights after. The lights went away after the engine warmed up but I won't ever pressure wash again.
Solid input. Thank you.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 07:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I gently pressured washed my Cummins ISL and got several warning lights after. The lights went away after the engine warmed up but I won't ever pressure wash again.
What were the warnings ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 07:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
Don’t wash any Diesel engine, period
Yuck, that could turn out a mess over time.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 07:14 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Solid input. Thank you.
If you are nervous about washing your engine, then have a detailer do it. They wash engines all the time, and yes, most will use a pressure washer.
Then for extra precautions, just let it dry before starting.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate View Post
If you are nervous about washing your engine, then have a detailer do it. They wash engines all the time, and yes, most will use a pressure washer.
You are correct. Also to note, when you buy a used vehicle, engine and all components are spotless because they’ve been power washed.

I do believe that if care is taken, it doesn’t hurt to occasionally use water on the engine although I seldom do it. There are some parts of the engine that using water occasionally probably doesn’t hurt but if you do it often enough, it may harm things like the alternator and electrical connections. When and if they ever fail, you’d have to ask yourself if the water could have contributed over time to the failure.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 07:54 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
... There are some parts of the engine that using water occasionally probably doesn’t hurt but if you do it often enough, it may harm things like the alternator and electrical connections. When and if they ever fail, you’d have to ask yourself if the water could have contributed over time to the failure.
The problem with that line of thought is that it can be applied to about anything. Dirt, dust, oil/fuel seepage resulting in grime buildup. Too little engine use or too much contributing to premature failure of some kind. Where do you stop?
I have enough real worries without inventing what ifs in my head
Old 03-23-2023, 03:27 PM   #25

Why? I've honestly never washed any engine in my entire life.
blueeyedme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 03:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyedme View Post
Why? I've honestly never washed any engine in my entire life.
Because when you're going to work on one, it's very nice to have a clean place to do repairs. Helps to see what's what too. And practically everything I've ever changed or repaired on an engine had instructions that said to not let dirt get into whatever I'm replacing or the hole it goes into. For that reason alone, I spray with Simple Green - Purple the engine and rad and then use the garden hose to rinse it off before work.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 03:48 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Did the deed today. I left the pressure washer in the garage and went with garden hose. It looks like new again.

Thanks for all the input.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 05:14 PM   #28

I have always used a degreaser or Dawn soap, then a pressure nozzle on my garden hose. My engines have always been very clean. Dirty engines are likely to catch fire, as can be seen with so many vehicles burned out along southern highways. I do let the engine dry out before I start it.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, power