Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Powergear leveling system

We have a Powergear leveling system on our 42' American Eagle. The passenger side rear jack is leaking fluid. The P/N is 500620. Is it rebuildable or disposable??
denochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi denochs and welcome to irv2.

Should be rebuildable - most Power Gear jacks are. I would think most any hydraulics shop could do it - there is nothing complex about the jack itself - just a hydraulic ram and a valve at the top.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Gary, the dealer said it wasn't rebuildable and that didn't sound right. I checked with a hydraulic repair shop and they said some are welded with the intention of being disposed of and replaced. He said they could cut it open, repair, and weld back if that was the case.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:59 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
On Powergears home page the very first FAQ is "are jacks rebuildable and do they have kits" Reply - Yes.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:47 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
denochs, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy the website and forums. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:42 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is the powergear link for leveler repair.
http://powergearus.com/documents/Sea...anual_Rev6.pdf
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:42 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome denochs

I seen this work one time in a park, put your jack down and wash it with warm soapy water, using a brush to clean next to the seal. Good luck Denny
Old 10-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Powergear leveling jacks

Thanks to all for the advice and input. This really is a good site for rv folks.

FYI, a local hydraulics shop repaired the jack for me today. the cost was a reasonable $382.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:01 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good deal
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:36 PM   #10

denochs
I've rebuilt (2) of my Powergear leveling jacks. It's actually a fun job. A bit on the heavy side but, still fun. It's nice if you've got a place to work, a floor jack that can take the weight off the bolts so you can remove them, and, another person to help you so you don't strain anything while getting from the coach to the work bench.

They come apart very easily. I've had two kits shipped to my house at somewhere around $90.00 ea and a few dollars for shipping. The instructions are great and they give you everything you'll need and then some. Including removal, rebuild, and replace, about 2 hours. Their sites real helpful too. Good luck if you ever have to do it again. Or, just do what you did and have it done. It works either way.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
They come apart very easily. I've had two kits shipped to my house at somewhere around $90.00 ea and a few dollars for shipping. The instructions are great and they give you everything you'll need and then some. Including removal, rebuild, and replace, about 2 hours. Their sites real helpful too. Good luck if you ever have to do it again. Or, just do what you did and have it done. It works either way.

Scott
Scott
Where did you purchase the kits? Power Gear only sells to dealers.

http://www.kwikeepowergear.com/

They do offer instructions for rebuilding them but include a caution note.

Power Gear
My jacks are leaking. Do you have rebuild kits?
Yes. See the Jack Seal Replacement Manual for the jack ID page and kit numbers. It can be downloaded here.

NOTE: If the jack leg (chrome rod) is gouged or damaged, the entire jack needs to be replaced.

Thanks

Mark
Old 01-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #12

Mark,
Sorry for the late reply. I don't check this forum that often. As for Power Gear levelers, I've NEVER seen one that wasn't rebuild-able. As stated earlier, they are HEAVY, somewhere around 40 lbs plus or minus. 40 lbs is not heavy if, you're in the correct lifting position and your arms and back are set for it but, 40 lbs + is heavy when you're laying on your side or in an awkward position so, please be careful when doing this quiet easy job.
I don't know if Power Gear has changed their policy on shipping rebuild kits to customers but they shipped them direct to me the last time I contacted them, which was over a couple of years ago. When you find out if they still ship to general consumers, you'll need the model numbers of the units you have. Either get them off of the manuals that came with your coach or, I can't remember if there's any numbers stamped on each of the jacks. In any case, I surely can't see why they'd stop shipping to regular RVers.

If, they ship, and you determine you'd like to take on the job yourself, and, you find out that all four jacks are the same, (the usually are) it would pay you to have all four rebuild kits shipped at once. The reason(s), if one's leaking, the others will follow suit with in time, second, shipping is the same for one kit as it is for all four. It was a fair amount of money for shipping as I recall, can't remember just how much.

I had one leaking and found out I could rebuild it so, called them, told them all the pertinent info, and they shipped it right out and then not that long after, another one started leaking. Well, I got smart the second time and had the other three shipped out for the same cost as one. I've been doing my own maintenance my whole life so this job to me was a no brainer. They are not WELDED as suggested. They have a "gland nut" or "Collar nut" as some call it and it's got two flat sides on it for a big wrench or in my case a big pair of Craftsman pliers that worked just fine.

Support it on a work bench or, clamp the mounting bracket in a vise and loosen the collar nut and then have a small tray or something to catch the oil. From then on, it's easy. Hope all this helps some. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Scott
Old 01-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Mark,
Sorry for the late reply. I don't check this forum that often. As for Power Gear levelers, I've NEVER seen one that wasn't rebuild-able...

I don't know if Power Gear has changed their policy on shipping rebuild kits to customers but they shipped them direct to me the last time I contacted them, which was over a couple of years ago.

Scott
Scott
You are correct that the cylinders are rebuildable. I removed the rear two cylinders Saturday and looked them over. The rods have pits and flaking chrome so they probably won't seal up even if I could get kits. I am frustrated with the dealer I took the coach to last week because they missed the fact that the cylinder rods are bad.

The site I listed in my previous post has links to Kwikee Power Gear. When you call the number listed 800 334 4712 as an RV owner the recording says "Effective July 2009 we no longer sell replacement parts directly to RV owners." I posted this note to let others know that you will have to go to a dealer for Kwikee and Power Gear parts.

Thank you

Mark
Old 01-26-2010, 11:14 PM   #14

Well Mark,
That's news to me. Like I said, I ordered my kits a couple of years ago. At that time, many of the people on RV.net also have ordered some for their rig. But, I haven't gone on their site lately so I'll take your word for it that maybe Kwikee and Power Gear have merged? If they don't send kits to regular RVrs then I've got a sight problem.

I damaged one of my seals when I was installing it so, I took the same seal out of another kit and used it to complete the job and told myself that I'd order the replacement seal when I needed it. What a bean head. I'll figure it out. Thanks for the info on the latest news.
Scott