Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2022, 04:24 PM   #1

Practical tire life

My 365's on my 2016 CS steering axle are 7yrs old. Replacements seem to be unavailable and not listed on Michelin site. What is the practical life of these tires considering coach is stored indoors?

Thanks,

Ed
dredcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2022, 04:39 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
All tire manufacturers are agreeing at 10 years, with an "inspection" at 7 years.

The "professional" RVer thinks 4-6 yeas and will absolutely freak out if they are over seas tires.

I keep an eye on the tires for excessive weather cracking, and replace around 10 years. Got 15 years off of one set that when replaced had zero cracking, but for the last 6 years have only been using the moho for like 50 mile trips so wasn't worried about the age being that close to home.
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 05:32 PM   #3

I just replaced two steer tires, Goodyear g149's 22.5 They were 14 years old and looked fine when I took them off. The MH is always outside but never sits more then a month at a time.
K Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:42 PM   #4

Per an article I read that was written by Roger Marble, a former tire engineer and expert on forensics of tire failures, there are too numerous of factors to definitively state how many years a given tire will be safe to use. Heat, UV exposure, driving speeds, driving conditions, air pressures, weight carried and other factors come into play.

Michelin says to start professional inspections at 7 years with 10 years being the max. I haven't read anything that specific from other manufacturers.
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 11:52 PM   #5
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredcin View Post
My 365's on my 2016 CS steering axle are 7yrs old. Replacements seem to be unavailable and not listed on Michelin site. What is the practical life of these tires considering coach is stored indoors?

Thanks,

Ed
As far as I know, Michelin is still making the 365/70R22.5 XZA. Here is it on their website:

Michelin XZA 365/70R22.5

It appears the iRV2 sponsor, motorhometires.com does have them in stock but yes, it is spotty where you can find them and many places that agree to order them will tell you that it could take months to get them. That's just what I'm hearing but I do not know that for sure.

motorhometires.com: 365/70R22.5 Michelin XZA

As it pertains to longevity, I too agree with the other comments here that RV tires don't automatically "expire" or require to be replaced at 4, 5, 6, or 7 years as many RVers seem to want to suggest.

I did "follow the leaders" when I did many years ago replace the tires on one of our motorhomes because they were 6 years old but I've changed my thinking slightly on it and now I'd probably go a few years longer before I replaced them. However, it depends on how long you expect to keep the RV too. If you plan on keeping it a long time, why not replace them at 6 or 7 years of age (or sooner) as many will not keep their motorhomes more than 12 to 14 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
All tire manufacturers are agreeing at 10 years, with an "inspection" at 7 years.

The "professional" RVer thinks 4-6 yeas and will absolutely freak out if they are over seas tires.

I keep an eye on the tires for excessive weather cracking, and replace around 10 years. Got 15 years off of one set that when replaced had zero cracking, but for the last 6 years have only been using the moho for like 50 mile trips so wasn't worried about the age being that close to home.
What do you consider a "professional" RVer?

And what do you consider an "over seas" tire? Many tires are made "overseas" and are pretty comparable to Michelin ...yes, I know many will disagree but for the most part, Toyo and Sumitomo are made in Japan and I believe their quality is impeccable. Sailun is made in Vietnam. Yet we have some very respected and long-time members here on the forum who highly recommend Sailun.

No, I don't believe that Toyo, Sumitomo, Sailun, Hankook, etc. need to be replaced at 4-6 years and Michelin can go to 10 years because they are such a "superior tire" or because the others may be manufactured "overseas."

I have run tires on my cars over 12 years without any problems and I know several RVers who have run their motorhome tires past ten years with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
Per an article I read that was written by Roger Marble, a former tire engineer and expert on forensics of tire failures, there are too numerous of factors to definitively state how many years a given tire will be safe to use. Heat, UV exposure, driving speeds, driving conditions, air pressures, weight carried and other factors come into play.

Michelin says to start professional inspections at 7 years with 10 years being the max. I haven't read anything that specific from other manufacturers.
I think that most commercial tire manufacturers have similar thoughts on replacement of RV tires. However, we know that only three manufacturers actually market --or maybe I should say specifically target-- tires for RV or motorhome use.

1. Michelin: and we already know their recommendation pertaining to longevity

2. Goodyear: they specifically do not mention an age tires should be replaced on an RV ...go HERE for this wording: "Goodyear does not state a specific replacement age for RV tires because there are many conditions that dictate a tire's life span. Some factors that influence how long a tire will last are: <go to the link above to read further>

3. Toyo recommends RV tires be professionally inspected thoroughly after 5 years of service but does not state a specific age to replace in their RV guide *attached below*. Although, I did speak to a Toyo representative at their U.S. corporate office several years ago and he said that they do recommend replacement at ten years even though they do not state that in their guide. Toyo's RV tire guide is attached. It's been in my files but I'm not sure when it was published.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Toyo_rv_tire_safety.pdf (452.2 KB, 5 views)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:12 AM   #6
Decrepit Forum Advocate

To add to my comments above, Continental and Bridgestone do have limited marketing to the motorhome segment but not a tremendous amount of marketing.

Any others that "specifically" market tires to the motorhome owner? ...or have a specific model or line of tires specially marketed toward motorhomes?

Also, here is the Goodyear RV guide for those who haven't seen it:

GOODYEAR RECREATIONAL VEHICLE TIRE AND CARE GUIDE

And of course, the Michelin guide:

MICHELIN RV TIRES • GUIDE FOR PROPER USE AND MAINTENANCE
Old 09-26-2022, 08:59 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had Goodyear tires on a class A a few years back and on a trip the 7-year-old tires had two blow outs/thread separations. We wound up getting 6 new Bridgestones while on the trip and no more tire issues while we owned that unit.

Personally, the only trip I would make on 7 years old tries is to the nearest tire dealer.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Currently FOR SALE Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Charles View Post
I just replaced two steer tires, Goodyear g149's 22.5 They were 14 years old and looked fine when I took them off. The MH is always outside but never sits more then a month at a time.

You win! Running 14 year old tires.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:17 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
We had Goodyear tires on a class A a few years back and on a trip the 7-year-old tires had two blow outs/thread separations. We wound up getting 6 new Bridgestones while on the trip and no more tire issues while we owned that unit.

Personally, the only trip I would make on 7 years old tries is to the nearest tire dealer.

Ken

Which model Goodyears? Last year I took the original equipment G670s off. 36,000 miles and 13 years old. No sidewall cracks, tire shop said the insides were fine (donít use beads or sand for balancing). Coach was alway kept in a garage. Replaced with Toyos as Iíve had great luck with them on trucks and the Jeeps.

Hereís the tires I just took off one of our flat beds. Yes, they were 22 years old, no weather checking, bead and insides look fine. Changed them because two of the wheels were rusted with pinholes. Perhaps Michelin needs to contact Load Star and find out how to make tires that last. I donít see on the tires any marks where they were made two decades ago, but I think their plants are in China and Taiwan. Replaced them with the same (Kenda).

Call me a skeptic, but when a manufacturer tells me their product is only good for a certain time (with zero other factors such as storage or use) Iíll remind myself they make money SELLING tires. We store everything under roof and always ran these tires at maximum inflation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1635.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	377384  
Old 09-26-2022, 05:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We had GY 670’s as original equipment, as we approached 7 years of age we lost 3 tires over a 4 month period — one was steer tire on I95. They looked good up until they failed. Replaced with Michelin’s, they ride better than the GY’s but now at 7 years I have sidewall cracking. Off to the tire shop later this week for new rubber.
CaptPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:26 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think there is any question that a tire can last 14 or more years, but whether you can depend on that is a different question. As Roger Marble has often said, there are too many variables to make a reliable prediction for any one RV or owner.

The popular "7 year" replacement age is largely about the risk factor for motorhome damage. If it wasn't for the high risk of expensive body & wiring damage, probably everybody would run their motorhome tires for around 10 years.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:07 PM   #12
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I don't think there is any question that a tire can last 14 or more years, but whether you can depend on that is a different question. As Roger Marble has often said, there are too many variables to make a reliable prediction for any one RV or owner.

The popular "7 year" replacement age is largely about the risk factor for motorhome damage. If it wasn't for the high risk of expensive body & wiring damage, probably everybody would run their motorhome tires for around 10 years.
I didn't mean that I'd leave tires on my motorhome for over 10 years. I looked back at my receipt and it was about 5.5 years when I replaced my first set. What I said previously was that I'd probably would now go 7, 8, or 9 years (but no more) if I had them professionally inspected each year after the fifth years as per Toyo's recommendation.
Old 09-28-2022, 03:42 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
What do you consider a "professional" RVer?

And what do you consider an "over seas" tire? Many tires are made "overseas" and are pretty comparable to Michelin ...yes, I know many will disagree but for the most part, Toyo and Sumitomo are made in Japan and I believe their quality is impeccable. Sailun is made in Vietnam. Yet we have some very respected and long-time members here on the forum who highly recommend Sailun.

No, I don't believe that Toyo, Sumitomo, Sailun, Hankook, etc. need to be replaced at 4-6 years and Michelin can go to 10 years because they are such a "superior tire" or because the others may be manufactured "overseas."

I have run tires on my cars over 12 years without any problems and I know several RVers who have run their motorhome tires past ten years with no issues.
Professional RVer is a parrot that repeats what they have heard from campfire wife's tales, they think its the 100% truth and have done no research on the subject. Their advice is totally wrong, and mostly inaccurate.

Overseas tires are exactly that, made anywhere other than the US, and the professional RVer screams from the top of the mountain "china bombs you will die and take out a bus full or nuns if you don't replace them"

The rest of us know that all china tires are not junk & that tires can be safe and last more that 4 or 5 years.
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:55 PM   #14
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
Professional RVer is a parrot that repeats what they have heard from campfire wife's tales, they think its the 100% truth and have done no research on the subject. Their advice is totally wrong, and mostly inaccurate.

Overseas tires are exactly that, made anywhere other than the US, and the professional RVer screams from the top of the mountain "china bombs you will die and take out a bus full or nuns if you don't replace them"

The rest of us know that all china tires are not junk & that tires can be safe and last more that 4 or 5 years.
Oh! When I first read your post, I admit, I did give a defensive response. I now see that you had a factitious slant to what you were saying. Yes, I do strongly agree with the point you are making!

Tags
tire