Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2007, 06:59 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Thanks Vanessa.
Now more questions. If I replace the monitor, do I need to replace the sensors? How does high pressure indicate brake or bearing problems or underinflation? If a tire is underinflated, it creates heat. Does that then create high pressure? But how does it monitor the brakes or bearings?
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2007, 04:49 AM   #44

Sure Mike.

No, your sensors will not need to be replaced. The new capabilities of reading the high pressure are actaully allowed by new software programming in the monitors.

All tires will have some normal raise in pressure while operating. Brakes or bearings problems can cause more-than-usual temperature rises however, due to various situations. First, disks could be rubbing wrong creating greater heat build up in the tire, disks could be rubbing the tire, causing greater friction - hence more dramatic heat rise, etc. Same with bearings, there are a few reasons (or problems) that can cause an abnormal rise in pressure. They can be caught in a flat spot creating more friction, etc.

With all of that said, we do NOT monitor brakes or bearings. PressurePro monitors your tire pressures. With our technology, we can also clue you in to an abnormal in pressure (for example, all of your tires rise by 5 psi except for one that has risen by 15 psi - you know there is a problem with that one tire). Now, with the new technology of the monitors, you can get an audible and visual alert to such situations instead of monitoring it yourself. You now have the peace-of-mind and convenience that PressurePro has provided for drivers on alerting to low pressure, for high.

Does that answer your questions?

Advantage PressurePro
PressurePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:56 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Question:

I have had a heck of a time w/extensions and leaking inside duals. With corroborating advice from almost everyone who works on tires that extensions cause premature wear on the valve stems, I don't use extensions.

However, it is a real pain getting the sensor on and off. First Question, is there a tool that could get to the sensor through the hand hole to screw it off and on?

If not, does anyone have advice on extensions that work?

A guy at Haltec (Doran sent me here) told me that I have to get a rubber filler for the hand hole to keep the extensions from moving upon acceleration and deceleration. He also said a mounting kit of the flexible extensions are not advised for aluminum wheels.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:35 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tetoner2:
The PressurePro Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) has 3 "Alert" levels.

The First Stage Low Pressure Alert - alerts at 12.5% pressure loss from initial pressure at installation.
The Second Stage Low Pressure Alert - alerts at 25% pressure loss from initial pressure at installation.
The Third Stage High Pressure Alert - alerts when pressure is 25% over the cold running pressure, indicating that tires are most probably underinflated or there is a bearing or brake problem.

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I'm highly in favor of tire pressure monitoring systems in general, I'm a bit puzzled by the over pressure monitoring and the vehicle operating conditions that would increase the tire pressure.

The multi-stage allerting system for low pressure sounds great, but I don't understand the overpressure warning is going to alert the tires are under-inflated

I suppose a locked up brake caliper due to binding of the caliper itself, or perhaps due to the failure of a toad braking system will transfer enough heat from the caliper and then to the wheel to raise the air temperature inside the tire. We of course know that a warm tire increases it's pressure do to the air inside the tire expanding, but will the air inside the tire get warm enough to expand 25% due to a brake failure?

Additionally, how does the high pressure alert due to tire overheating caused by underinflation described in your statement occur without the low pressure alert detecting the condition before the tire overheats?

Let's use hypothetical numbers for easy math. Let's assure my my cold tire pressure that calibrated the sensor is 40PSI for this example.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>I understand the low pressure alert would signal a first stage low pressure at 35 PSI

The second stage low pressure would signal a low pressure condition at 30 PSI.

The high pressure alert would alert when the pressure reaches 50 PSI.[/list]

I just can't understand how the high pressure alert alerts to low pressure conditions that the low pressure warnings would not have detected?
Old 12-13-2007, 07:17 AM   #47

Scott,

My steel-braided duelly extensions, installed in 1998, have worked without incident since I bought the coach in 2003.

Are yours steel-braided?

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:41 AM   #48

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe-K:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tetoner2:
The PressurePro Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) has 3 "Alert" levels.

The First Stage Low Pressure Alert - alerts at 12.5% pressure loss from initial pressure at installation.
The Second Stage Low Pressure Alert - alerts at 25% pressure loss from initial pressure at installation.
The Third Stage High Pressure Alert - alerts when pressure is 25% over the cold running pressure, indicating that tires are most probably underinflated or there is a bearing or brake problem.

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I'm highly in favor of tire pressure monitoring systems in general, I'm a bit puzzled by the over pressure monitoring and the vehicle operating conditions that would increase the tire pressure.

The multi-stage allerting system for low pressure sounds great, but I don't understand the overpressure warning is going to alert the tires are under-inflated

I suppose a locked up brake caliper due to binding of the caliper itself, or perhaps due to the failure of a toad braking system will transfer enough heat from the caliper and then to the wheel to raise the air temperature inside the tire. We of course know that a warm tire increases it's pressure do to the air inside the tire expanding, but will the air inside the tire get warm enough to expand 25% due to a brake failure?

Additionally, how does the high pressure alert due to tire overheating caused by underinflation described in your statement occur without the low pressure alert detecting the condition before the tire overheats?

Let's use hypothetical numbers for easy math. Let's assure my my cold tire pressure that calibrated the sensor is 40PSI for this example.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>I understand the low pressure alert would signal a first stage low pressure at 35 PSI

The second stage low pressure would signal a low pressure condition at 30 PSI.

The high pressure alert would alert when the pressure reaches 50 PSI.[/list]

I just can't understand how the high pressure alert alerts to low pressure conditions that the low pressure warnings would not have detected? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe,

I am not an Engineer so I will probably not answer this to your satisfaction but I will try. The PressurePro will alert for low pressure and high pressure. I don't think it matters whether you get a low pressure warning or a high pressure warning for underinflation. What matters is you WILL get an ALERT that warns you of a potential problem. The high pressure warning is mainly designed to alert you of high pressure caused by a tire overheating due to brakes dragging, bearings heating up, etc.

The new Monitors, recently released, can be programmed by the customer to different high pressure alert settings. Here is a quote from Vanessa's post:

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">To clarify high pressure alerts, the monitors (released in late September of this year) come pre-set from the factory at 24%, but can be adjusted by individual customers to be OFF, or alert at 10%, 15%, 19%, 24%, 28%, 33%, 40% or 45% above base pressure. </span>.

I can only tell you that we have been using and selling PressurePro for almost 4 years and it has saved us and many of our customers from tire failure and major property damage.

I hope this answers your questions and concerns.

Pat

850-294-0281
Tetoner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:41 AM   #49

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JavaJelly:
Question:

I have had a heck of a time w/extensions and leaking inside duals. With corroborating advice from almost everyone who works on tires that extensions cause premature wear on the valve stems, I don't use extensions.

However, it is a real pain getting the sensor on and off. First Question, is there a tool that could get to the sensor through the hand hole to screw it off and on?

If not, does anyone have advice on extensions that work?

A guy at Haltec (Doran sent me here) told me that I have to get a rubber filler for the hand hole to keep the extensions from moving upon acceleration and deceleration. He also said a mounting kit of the flexible extensions are not advised for aluminum wheels. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scott,

Your advice from the experts regarding extensions is correct. They can cause premature wear and are just another place to develop a leak. We don't advise using them unless it is absolutely necessary. Some folks just don't have a choice so we recommend purchasing good extensions from a reputable tire company.

There are a couple of ways you can get to the inside dual Sensor if you don't have extensions. A 1-inch (32 point) socket will fit on the Sensor and can be used to remove and replace the Sensor. Just don't overtighten the Sensor when replacing it. You can also find some 1-inch clear plastic tubing that will slide over the Sensor and assist in removing and replacing it.

I hope this helps.

Pat

850-294-0281
Tetoner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:33 AM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Exactly the information I needed. Thank you very much.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:58 AM   #51

Joe-K,

I think you might have mis-read my post. I never said that high pressure alerts would be triggered by low pressure situations.

The high pressure alerts (which can be set at a variable level, as high as 45%) was wanted by drivers so they could be alerted to high pressure situations - such as when there is no leak or loss of air in their tires, but problems with their brakes causing extra heat build up in the tire. The PressurePro system can alert you, at whatever level of INCREASE of pressure you deemed alert worthy, that you have a situation to look into before you have ruined your tire.

Hope that answered your 'puzzle'.

Advantage PressurePro
PressurePro is offline   Reply With Quote