Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Private MH purchase out of state

Can anyone tell me how you dealt with an out of state purchase with regards to title, registration, and, most importantly, tags, while moving from your state of purchase to your home state? I live in NJ, state MVA has a procedure for out of state purchasers of NJ vehicles to get a temporary plate (20 days) but no procedure I can figure for the opposite, NJ resident buying out of state and coming back. I've looked at two states (Oklahoma and Florida) and neither of them have any help with temp plates for anyone in their states. I assume buying from a dealer would solve the problem (something for their commissions ). Would like to know before I make deal and cut a check!
nightmission is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #2

Try calling the Dept. of Motor Vehicles in the state where you want to make a purchase and call your own DMV and ask them
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:50 PM   #3

When we bought in Florida the DMV would only issue temp tags if you paid them the taxes and registration fees. You would be given credit for those fees at your local DMV when you register it there provided the two states have such an agreement. I just took my chances and drove it cross country without any plates and got it plated at home.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:58 PM   #4

I tell all my insurance customers this, when purchasing any new or used vehicle, especially those out of state:

a) make sure to add the vehicle to your current insurance, or purchase a policy, BEFORE you sit in the seat to drive the vehicle home

b) carry your Insurance ID CARD and Proof Of Purchase(receipt, bill of sale, etc) with you in the new vehicle

c) do NOT put ANY physical license plate you already own on this new vehicle, that is ILLEGAL... if you are pulled over and questioned, show them your Insurance and Proof Of Purchase. They will understand.

...because you are purchasing the vehicle from a private party, you have no one to issue you a 'temporary' tag, as new and used car/rv dealers do... but, if you are determined not to drive your new vehicle home without a license plate...

d) contact your TAG OFFICE, provide them the VIN# and information on the new vehicle, pay the appropriate FEE, and receive your New LICENSE PLATE to take with you to attach to the new vehicle before you drive it home.

...when you return home, and if not already, contact the TAG OFFICE and do the above, within a few days of returning.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We bought from a dealer. Wanted to keep tge same plates. Called the WA DMV and they said I could transfer the plates. Left the trade at the dealers after moving everything over. Got stopped for speeding in CA (first moving violation since HS). Officer wanted my license, ins papers and contract. Took me a while but I finally found the ins papers. Wrote me a ticket and sent me on my way. Never questiond the license plate. Transfer paperwork and use tax payment was waiting at the WA DMV when we got home. A little different than the OP's question but the license wasn't yet legal on the MH and the officer never questioned it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:40 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We just sold our coach in Florida, where we had the coach registered, to a gentlemen from Texas. He just had to go to the DMV in Florida and show the sale paperwork and got a temporary tag (for a small fee). Then registered it in Texas when he got home a week later. NO problem
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:17 AM   #7

The important thing to remember here is every state is different, this includes both the selling state and the buying state.

For me I bought my coach from a private party in Florida, but financed it through my local bank in Louisiana. In Louisiana banks that make vehicle loans can issue temporary plates, just like a used car dealer can, they also handle all the title paperwork, collected the tax, etc.

So I flew to Florida with a cashiers check, and the Temporary Louisiana paper plates from my bank, along with a 14 day insurance rider from my insurance agent, decided that the coach was as represented by the seller, did the paperwork, gave them the cashiers check, and drove home. Letting the bank deal with all the paperwork, was just about worth the $2,000 or so worth of interest I will be paying them on the transaction over the next 4 years.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:32 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
The important thing to remember here is every state is different, this includes both the selling state and the buying state.

For me I bought my coach from a private party in Florida, but financed it through my local bank in Louisiana. In Louisiana banks that make vehicle loans can issue temporary plates, just like a used car dealer can, they also handle all the title paperwork, collected the tax, etc.

So I flew to Florida with a cashiers check, and the Temporary Louisiana paper plates from my bank, along with a 14 day insurance rider from my insurance agent, decided that the coach was as represented by the seller, did the paperwork, gave them the cashiers check, and drove home. Letting the bank deal with all the paperwork, was just about worth the $2,000 or so worth of interest I will be paying them on the transaction over the next 4 years.

Our deal worked exactly the same way. Our credit union took care of everything. We flew from Albuquerque to Austin with a cashiers check and temp license in hand. After our inspection we could have said no and torn both up but we were very pleased with the coach and drove it home.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:37 AM   #9

I live in Delaware and purchased in Illinois.

Took a bank check made out to me in case the deal went south. It went smoothly as we did the transfer at the seller's bank branch so they could verify validity of the check. Bank manager also notarized and/or witnessed where needed.

Drove home from Illinois with with no plates but a sign on back of MH reading "Purchased (date). Title and Ins on board." Passed through several states with no problem. Did same thing when I purchased our Winnie Vista in Michigan several years ago.

Just remember to get your MH inspected at the DMV before you go inside to apply for registration and get your plates. I was so excited, I forgot to do this - dooh!

Best of luck to you.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:51 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I think it depends on what your home state will do for you. We bought out of state and I was able to obtain a temporary plate from Texas for 3 days at minimal cost.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:05 AM   #11

We were GA residents, buying our coach in TX - the dealership provided us a temporary TX paper 'plate'. Interestingly, it was for 90 days! Even our own state of GA only gives you 30 days. It worked out fine, though, as it took us about 89 days to get back and get our 'real' license plate... : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
It can be a hassle. I purchased our past 2 RVs from a neighboring state (Washington). Washington requires a trip permit that is only good for 3 days. This meant that I had to get the vehicle inspection done, smog test (for our area), title and registration applied for and such. There is also added complexity with a lender involved. The net result is that I had to leave it parked for 2+ weeks in both cases even though I owned it due to the trip permit issue and waiting for all of the paperwork to catch up. This was a problem as I had a vacation already planned both times. Luckily the plate was issued on the final day before leaving. Some lenders who carry the title will only be willing to have the plates mailed to their bank branch rather than letting you pick them up from the DMV. (Happened for one of my 2 experiences). For some state law reason, the dealer can't issue an extended permits like they can do for cars. I think it is because RV owners used to manipulate the rules and only buy permits when actually using the RV rather than annual tags. Doing it all again, I won't buy out of state unless I am in no hurry to use the coach I just purchased and the savings are substantial.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would visit my local NJ MVC office and find out exactly what I would need to title and register the vehicle so you have everything you need when you got home.

Then I would contact the state DMV where you are going to purchase the vehicle and ask them how you can obtain a temporary registration when you make a private purchase. It might entail that you and the seller go to the DMV or a local DMV agent and obtain a temporary registration. Some states have local DMV agents in most towns and other County DMV agents. Make sure you have a good bill of sale as NJ will want sales tax paid to register it.

Some questions you need answers for does the original owner still owe money and doesn't have the title to give you at the purchase time and is there any liens on the title from other sources. A lot depends on how much you are paying as too what risks are acceptable.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
I live in Delaware and purchased in Illinois.

Took a bank check made out to me in case the deal went south. It went smoothly as we did the transfer at the seller's bank branch so they could verify validity of the check. Bank manager also notarized and/or witnessed where needed.

Drove home from Illinois with with no plates but a sign on back of MH reading "Purchased (date). Title and Ins on board." Passed through several states with no problem. Did same thing when I purchased our Winnie Vista in Michigan several years ago.

Just remember to get your MH inspected at the DMV before you go inside to apply for registration and get your plates. I was so excited, I forgot to do this - dooh!

Best of luck to you.
yep that's what I did (3) times but with out sign on back
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase