Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #1

Unhappy Problem with Atwood Level-Legs ?

Okay so the last time out the Atwood Level-Legs electric leveling system failed. The first problem was, it would not store the legs automatically and I had to raise the legs individually from the dash control panel. At the next stop the legs all went down auto but would not park so I raise manual again, but the driver's front leg would not move, so I had to raise it with a drill ! It takes 500 revolutions to move it an inch and I was down most all the way.

After calling the support line, we were able to turn off all the alarms and warnings and get on the road. Used the old leveler from the Class C, I knew there was a reason to keep them in the Class A !!

Anyway now that we are home, I want to address the issue. When I turn on the ignition for the motorhome, the Level-Legs system begins an alarm and the driver front red and yellow lights blink. When I push the power (on) button the alarm stops but the lights still blink and it will not do manual or automatic up or down. When the motorhome is placed into gear, all the alarms go off and the Level-Legs system trys to park the legs. All four try to move but because they are already up they just chatter again the stops.

I'm not electrical engineer !!!! But my pee brain says it must be the electronic control box mounted in the outside storage compartment. Since all four legs have power, the box must not be giving the correct signals to the system.

Anyway sorry for the Looooooong discussion but I wanted everyone to know what the problems are and what I've already figured out.

Thanks
Bill
Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #2

Opps

Rambled on so much I forgot to ask the question !!!!

How do I go about confirming my thoughts on the control box ? Seems like a test of each motor with 12v would make sense, but again I'm no engineer. There are two wires running to each motor, so my guess is they are reversing the polarity to make the motor run up or down ???

Bill
Old 07-07-2014, 05:25 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I would first start off by confirming that the magnet a couple inches above the foot on each jack is still in place and reset the "zero level" point (should be in the manual). The motor polarity does determine direction of leveler legs.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #4

Ill give that a tr...

Thanks
Old 07-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #5

Exclamation Found this....

I did some more trouble shooting and determined that the motor for the driver front jack does not work when 12v is supplied direct. I can run the other legs no problem. Anyone know where I can purchase the motor ? Will I have to buy the whole assembly ?

Thanks
Bill
Old 07-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Try a starter rebuilder or a motor gear case can be ordered.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #7

Advice Please

Okay, I found a local business that will rebuild the motor if possible. If I take it in (motor) $16 to look, if I drive the MH in and have them R/R $100 shop labor. So the question is how to remove the motor from the jack ? I don't see anything holding the motor to the jack from the bottom side and to see the top side I'll need to remove the jack assembly (4 big bolts) from the frame of the coach ? Is that correct or do I have everything mixed up as usual ?

Thanks
Bill
Old 07-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
You'll have to remove the leg from the coach. Remember to disconnect the connector(s) when you remove the leg. If your gears are not bad, I'd try to find a different way to disconnect the motor other than removing the three bolts on top of the gear housing, they'll expose the gearing, etc which is all greased up and must be kept clean.

Have you tried spinning the motor manually? I had this issue with mine repeatedly, but could free them up by rocking the motor back and forth with the hex bolt on the end of the shaft. Turns out it was always the clutches going bad, but that's another story. I have some pictures of these assemblies taken apart if you need them.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #9

Pictures are always nice...

Thanks
Bill
Old 07-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #10

More Help ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart
Turns out it was always the clutches going bad, but that's another story.
So I got the motor repaired and I can now move it up and down by sending 12v direct to the leg... I talked to Atwood (not a lot of help!) and they said needs new controller board, but not available for my system, too old !

So since all the legs are working, just not from the controller, it seems that all I need is a new dash panel and the controller board ? The wiring is all good, I've checked it out and the sensors for the brake, trans, engine, ect. are all good and working correctly. Do how do I proceed ? If it's the clutches what's the fix for that ? Where are they ?

Thanks
Bill
Old 07-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #11

Thought I would chime in and Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405711795.441595.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	68296
Mention that my used coach came with the control board for my Atwood system disconnected and a Gama Electronics remote controller to raise and lower the legs. At first I was perplexed as to why any one would do this modification but after reading many of the complaints I now know. The remote works as designed and I rather like the set up. I have no idea what the system cost but works well for me. Glad to have it.
Bespos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:29 PM   #12

Can you get me some more info on this remote unit. Sounds like a possible solution!
Old 07-19-2014, 04:30 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuts View Post
So I got the motor repaired and I can now move it up and down by sending 12v direct to the leg... I talked to Atwood (not a lot of help!) and they said needs new controller board, but not available for my system, too old !

So since all the legs are working, just not from the controller, it seems that all I need is a new dash panel and the controller board ? The wiring is all good, I've checked it out and the sensors for the brake, trans, engine, ect. are all good and working correctly. Do how do I proceed ? If it's the clutches what's the fix for that ? Where are they ?

Thanks
Bill
Bill, glad to hear you have made some progress. I remember reading of a member who built a controller that would allow him to manually level the coach and doing away with the key pad control board. Try doing a search for this modification or fabrication of Atwood controller switches in this forum.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:11 AM   #14

Gamainc.com is a great place to start. The staff was very helpful when I ordered a second remote as a back up to the one that came with the motorhome. Good luck.
Bespos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood