RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2021, 03:20 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Problems with inverter circuit

My self installed, lithium battery/2kw Xantrex inverter/charger system is giving me fits. The problem centers around the 250 VDC circuit breaker, or at least, that is what is causing the visible problem. I'm doing a load test on the battery bank, with an oil filled heater on high. It's running at about 1.4KW, which is what the inverter panel is telling me that is passing thru it. Problem is, it ran fine for about 2.5 hours, and now the breaker is popping, 3 times now in the past hour. It also popped a couple times when using the microwave, during our last trip, and the inverter panel was showing between 1.6 and 1.8 KW used. Do I have a bad breaker, or something more insidious?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2021, 03:46 PM   #2

That's why the recommend a large fuse.

The breakers choke the current down and get hot. Get something running and feel the breaker for heat.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:33 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
I used my laser temp sensor. No change. Inverter running at 1.6kw. The breaker is a 250 amp, which if my math is correct, is about 3k watts. I'm running no where near the max capacity of the breaker. Could I have a bad one? Ran the microwave for 2 minutes, the breaker popped about 50 seconds into the run. The batteries, BTW, did the load test no problem. Ending voltage at the end of 5.5 hours, pulling 1kw, was about 12.8 resting, about 12.2 under load.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:34 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Should I replace the CB with a fuse? I have one, but thought the breaker would be better.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:03 PM   #5

What does the Xantrex manual say to use ?

If you look it up, I'm pretty sure it says use a fuse.

I looked, Xantrex states 250 amp ANL or class C fuse.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:37 PM   #6

Check the lugs on the circuit breaker and tighten to specs with an inch/pound torque wrench.
A couple years ago i installed a new built in oven/microwave. It would constantly trip the breaker if i ran the microwave with the oven.
Tightened breaker lugs to specs. Problem solved. The loose connection was increasing resistance and tripping. If it is loose, check all your breakers and tighten to specs. You can google to find specs which increase with wire size.
Make sure you are unplugged from shore power/genny and your inverter is off too.
awol50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:17 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
What does the Xantrex manual say to use ?

If you look it up, I'm pretty sure it says use a fuse.

I looked, Xantrex states 250 amp ANL or class C fuse.
From my manual;
DC Disconnects and Over-Current Devices
The DC circuit from the battery to the Freedom XC must be
equipped with a disconnect and over-current device. This usually
consists of a circuit breaker, a “fused-disconnect”, or a separate fuse
and DC disconnect. Do not confuse AC circuit breakers with DC
circuit breakers. They are not interchangeable. The rating of the
fuse or breaker must be matched to the size of cables used in
accordance with the applicable installation codes. The breaker or
disconnect and fuse should be located as close as possible to the
battery, in the positive cable. Applicable codes may limit how far
the protection can be from the battery.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:39 PM   #8

Did you try using a fuse ?

That's my recommendation. If it blows the fuse, go from there.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:45 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
I will. I have one that I originally bought, then changed my mind for the CB.

Tags
ems, inverter, problem, problems