Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2020, 01:10 PM   #1

Propane detector wiring

I am replacing the expired CCI Controls LP Gas Leak Detector (model 7773.0) in my '03 Fleetwood Revolution. Seems like most popular replacement is Safe-T-Alert model 30-442-P.

The Safe-T-Alert has 2 wires (12V pos & neg). The CCI has three (two 12V pos & one neg).

Where do the two Fleetwood positive wires come from? Can I connect them together with the single positive on the Safe-T-Alert? If I should use only one positive, does it matter which one is used and cap off the other?

Tried finding an answer among previous posts, but no luck. Thanks for the help.

Mark
datsun78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2020, 01:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by datsun78 View Post
I am replacing the expired CCI Controls LP Gas Leak Detector (model 7773.0) in my '03 Fleetwood Revolution. Seems like most popular replacement is Safe-T-Alert model 30-442-P.

The Safe-T-Alert has 2 wires (12V pos & neg). The CCI has three (two 12V pos & one neg).

Where do the two Fleetwood positive wires come from? Can I connect them together with the single positive on the Safe-T-Alert? If I should use only one positive, does it matter which one is used and cap off the other?

Tried finding an answer among previous posts, but no luck. Thanks for the help.

Mark
Hi Mark, is this the first time you have replaced the detector?

When I replaced mine, I cut one of the red wires and used the other one. On my coach, one red wire goes to the starting batteries, and the other red wire goes to the house batteries. You really only need one supply so pick one.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:35 AM   #3

When I replaced ours, here's how I wired it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	462.8 KB
ID:	274764   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	671.7 KB
ID:	274765  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	478.7 KB
ID:	274766   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	274767  

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:57 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Don't splice the two red wire sources together - you will be permanently tying the house and chassis systems together and defeating the designed-in isolation hardware. Do it the way Bigd9 suggests, using one wire only. Use the chassis battery wire if you want the detector to work while the house battery disconnect is off.

The CCI detector maintained the isolation inside the box, but the SafeTAlert has no such function and only uses one hot wire.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:33 PM   #5

You could maintain isolation with a pair of axial diodes one at each pos wires. I'm pretty sure 10 amp would be fine and it's wires would be heavier not act as a fusible link in a short event .You would want to solder inline with the wire and heat shrink or tape , to mitigate stress hanging/pulling on diode body or it's wires .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:16 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Don't splice the two red wire sources together - you will be permanently tying the house and chassis systems together and defeating the designed-in isolation hardware. Do it the way Bigd9 suggests, using one wire only. Use the chassis battery wire if you want the detector to work while the house battery disconnect is off.

The CCI detector maintained the isolation inside the box, but the SafeTAlert has no such function and only uses one hot wire.
Good advice!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:49 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just replaced my detector. Both red wires were tied together from the factory, but that maybe not right.
I'm going to test which red wire is from the house batteries and only use it.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:55 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
I believe that negative wire goes to the propane shut off solenoid and the new detector will not activate the solenoid. You will need to remove the solenoid and either tie the two solenoid wires together to ground the new detector or just run a new negative lead to the new detector. The solenoid is no longer required so can be plumbed out of the system.

Tags
propane, wiring