Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Propane fill issue

Winterized my motorhome yesterday. When I put it away I Top everything up and it’s always ready to go.
Took it down to the local U-Haul and the manager refused to fill, first time this has happened. Always liked this place because it was easy in and out.
Seems she doesn’t know the difference between a propane cylinder and a propane tank? Cylinder is DOT regulated and an ACSME certified tank is not.
Seems that the DOT has changed their inspection from 12yr down to 10. she’s applying that to my coach?
Has anyone ever had their propane tank on their motorhome tested?
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My understanding is that it is not required on a permanent mounted tank such as on a motor home. I always get mine filled at a Tractor Supply, lower price and better service.
burfurd
Old 10-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That’s always been my understanding as well. Permanent mount is an ACSME rated tank and does not require inspection. I know of no one that does this?
Old 10-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #4

It's ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers), and some propane places will tell you that it's required, but it's not, unless that bit of legislation has changed, which is always possible. I've heard some places will charge you a fortune to re-certify an ASME permanently mounted tank, if they can get you to agree to it and pay them for it. It was a topic of discussion on some other forums, and the consensus was it was unnecessary.
Bottom line, pursue it up the ladder at U-Haul until you get a resolution, if you want, or just go elsewhere for your propane fill ups. Truck stops are usually not hindered by misinformation, if there's one near you. Or, an actual propane supply company like Blue Flame, Amerigas, Ferrell Gas, etc...
Old 10-20-2018, 11:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
It's ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers), and some propane places will tell you that it's required, but it's not, unless that bit of legislation has changed, which is always possible. I've heard some places will charge you a fortune to re-certify an ASME permanently mounted tank, if they can get you to agree to it and pay them for it. It was a topic of discussion on some other forums, and the consensus was it was unnecessary.

Bottom line, pursue it up the ladder at U-Haul until you get a resolution, if you want, or just go elsewhere for your propane fill ups. Truck stops are usually not hindered by misinformation, if there's one near you. Or, an actual propane supply company like Blue Flame, Amerigas, Ferrell Gas, etc...

I just went through that in Ontario Canada, most places will not fill unless certified every 5 years here. Almost $600.00 Canadian to do. Next time will be looking for portable tank.
Mizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the correction, don’t know how that C got in there? Duh!
Old 10-20-2018, 11:57 AM   #7

NO...NO...NO
Permanent TANKS (mounted or not) are ASME/NFPA Jurisdiction and they have NO re-certification requirements. Only issue is damage form fire/accident or rusted

Cylinders are DOT Jurisdiction and have re-certification requirements
12 Yrs AFTER date of MFG Stamped on collar

(Inspection dates were changed to 10 yrs but then rescinded/not implemented after some disagreement over procedural matters ---although the info concerning the implementation did NOT get out to all vendors/or was not understood)
So 12 yrs or 10 yrs are correct per se.
Visual Inspection good for 5 yrs

TANKS.........NO
Cylinders......YES
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizen View Post
I just went through that in Ontario Canada, most places will not fill unless certified every 5 years here. Almost $600.00 Canadian to do. Next time will be looking for portable tank.

Canada has different requirements....Tanks do require re-certification
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Canada has different requirements....Tanks do require re-certification
How exactly do they do that? I can't imagine they're filling them with water and then pressurizing to some high proof pressure. Or are they?
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizen View Post
That doesn't sound right. Where did you get that info? This was the same issue 10 years ago, local propane jockeys misinterpreting the difference between a propane powered vehicle tank, and a fixed tank in an RV.
I emailed TSSA a few years (10?) back, and they said the only permanently mounted tanks that required inspection/certification that often were in propane powered vehicles, like buses and taxis. RV permanently mounted tanks were only required to be visually inspected.
Here's a link to an old thread about it...Inspection of Chassis mounted propane tanks. - Class B Forums
As I said, times change, but this was the way it was, and I still think it might be closer to 15 years between inspections of fixed tanks, because some insurance companies require a 15 year old tank to be re-certified before they'll insure the vehicle.
TSSA are the folks to ask.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:25 PM   #11

I checked with Ferrell Gas, local, and all they do is a visual for leaks, $15.
There seems to be a little confusion with the 10 or 12 year time with a new tank, oh well.
When I was in Quartzite last February and I filled the tank at Loves, the guy said I was almost out dated, 10 years come March. I am going to get it inspected and move on.
Also, I though they inspected inside the tank and would need to be empty or close to it. No, they can see leaks with gas in it, the more the better.
Just repeating what they told me.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
There seems to be a little confusion with the 10 or 12 year time with a new tank, oh well.
When I was in Quartzite last February and I filled the tank at Loves, the guy said I was almost out dated, 10 years come March. I am going to get it inspected and move on.
Also, I though they inspected inside the tank and would need to be empty or close to it. No, they can see leaks with gas in it, the more the better.
I think Old Biscuit and edge68474 are closest to the truth on this one, for their locales.
To complicate matters, each province up here has it's own set of rules. There isn't a Canada-wide uniform code or rule on it. I've sent a note/question to TSSA (again) requesting clarification, and I'm expecting a completely different answer to everything already suggested in this thread. I'll post up the answer for my province. Again.
What did the Quartzsite Loves propane guy base his determination on? Is there a visible date stamped on the ASME tank somewhere? I've never seen one. They'll have to crawl underneath my Navion to do a visual inspection of my tank as time passes. It's buried in the bowels of the chassis.
In 10 years of travel, I've never been refused propane fill service anywhere. Not even a mention of re-certification, and I had an older RV for the first 8 years of it. Just lucky?
Old 10-20-2018, 05:47 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
Same place about the same time and when he said my the 94 Winnebago would require re-certification before he could legally fill. I told him it was a Canadian unit and that we don't have to recertify. He shrugged and filled it.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:52 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Permanently mounted tanks in RV’s are in Manitoba and Saskatchewan still exempt. Many places with newly certified propane staff do not know the rules. Have run across it and just move down to next propane filling station.

Just my experience so far.

Good luck, Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane