Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2016, 12:46 PM   #1

Propane Genset Problem....

Anyone else have this going on?

I have a Onan 6500kw propane generator.....this thing is so hard to start

You basically have to turn this thing over many times, I usually hit the button and let it turn over about 15 seconds, then repeat...many times sometime.

I'm at my wits end with this, I've had it 5 years now and been serviced normally and spark plug always looks good (been changed couple times...no improvement)

Anyone have some suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny068 View Post
Anyone else have this going on?
I have a Onan 6500kw propane generator.....this thing is so hard to start
You basically have to turn this thing over many times, I usually hit the button and let it turn over about 15 seconds, then repeat...many times sometime.
I'm at my wits end with this, I've had it 5 years now and been serviced normally and spark plug always looks good (been changed couple times...no improvement)
Anyone have some suggestions?
Gunny068
Sorry to hear that.
Mine has always started within 15 seconds.
However the trouble shooting guide for my Onan 6.3kw propane powered generator from, (and the techs at), Flight Systems. Inc. have been very helpful with every generator problem I've had.
https://www.flightsystems.com/troubleshooting/
Good luck.
Mel
'96 Safari. (mine since '01)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Mine starts instantly but someties takes 30 seconds or so to reach a regulated speed. Once it acted like yours. I found that when they filled my propane tank they neglected to turn the propane back on. Maybe it's losing its prime ?
Old 06-28-2016, 12:52 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Vaflatlander
My propane generac needs a three second crank to prime and usually starts 2nd try,then on its smooth sailing.
Vaflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:48 AM   #5

My propane generator won't start at altitude unless I hold the governor throttle actuator towards closed until it fires and runs for a few seconds. Perhaps yours has out of spec mixture setting similar to what is the case at high altitude
Old 06-29-2016, 02:13 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your generator may need the carburetor cleaned. Yes I know its Propane however it has a carburetor that has a screen in it that gets coated with junk and won't let the propane pass or atomize properly. Remember it's liquid propane. If; you clean that bowl out and properly set the Altitude settings on it you will be amazed.

Been there, done that.

Tags
propane