Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2011, 08:38 AM   #1

Propane Grill line kit to MH propane tank?

I have a grill and instead of carring a small propane tank, is there a kit I can purchase to connect to the Motorhome propane tank??
I have a 03 Journey DL.
Thanks in advance
00 DEAD ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:19 AM   #2

Yes. There is a "T" fitting, available probably at most propane gas outlets that goes before the regulator off your coach tank. You have to deliver the high pressure propane to the grill to get it to work properly. Thus placing the new drop line before the regulator is a must. Most of the propane distributors will make you a flexible rubber propane hose the length you need to get the line to the other side of your coach. When you install the fitting really soap the connections good to check for leaks. I did mine a few years ago and it sure is more convenient. Though we still do carry the little disposable bottle to use if just stopping for the night. Explain what you want to the gas place and they will be able to set you up.
shadrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:15 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Acme Extend-A-Stay Adapter - $44.99

You can find them cheaper (if you look around) but this is what you want. Very easy to install. Good advice from shadrack.

Jack
Old 08-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I use the extandastay above, bought a second (10 foot) hose at CW to get the length I needed. I ran it thru the propane tank compartment into a curb side basement compartment and put up a hook where I could coil it and hang it.

Recently bought a T and another 6 foot hose of the same brand, now I can run both the weber and the roadtrip, 4 burners no waiting.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #5

There are several choices from Marshal Brass for this.
1) Standard Extend-A-Stay kit provides the ability to connect a external propan tank up to your propane system. (Tee adaptor + 5' hose)
2) Deluxe Extend-A-Stay kit adds a 12' hose that allows you to also connect your gas grill up.
3) Extend-A-Flow allows connection of external grills and such (Tee + 12' hose).

Extend A Stay Propane Adapter Kit on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

Look around for best price.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:37 AM   #6

Thanks for all the good info. Does it come with a shut off valve?? Does the hose stay connected to the coach tank??
Guess you have to empty the propane tank before you install this kit??
Brian
Old 09-01-2011, 05:42 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
there is always a shutoff valve first inline coming out of the propane tank.

When I did the pace arrow, I shut off the valve, discinnected the regulator, installed the extenda a flow T, then reinstalled the regulator a few inches over from where it was, and turned the valve back on.

The knight had a valve, then a short piece of hose in a 180 to the regulator, it was an easy matter to turn off the valve, disconnet the hose from the reg, install the tee and put the hose back on.

The hoses supplied with the extend a flow look and act like the connectors on a disposable propane tank, including a valve that prevents flow until it is attached.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
I bought what I needed from our local propane dealer.I did get a 12' hose. We carry a tank for short stops. I just screw the hose to the fitting when staying one place for awhile. When traveling the hose gets stored in the container that we call our picnic bin.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #9

Thanks everyone. That answers all my questions. Now to order one.
Again
Thanks
Brian
Old 09-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it is a motor home you should consider the "Extend-A-Stay" (Brother to the Extend-A-FLow same dealers) As this will let you use a protable tank to run your furnace etc.

There are no shut off valves, though "Grill" fitting is like the top of a throw away bottle, and thus it has a valve that closes when you disconnect the hose, You do loose the propane in the hose (not a dangerous amount normally)

The Extend-a-stay, also has an inlet check valve on both the "Hose" inlet and the main tank inlet, To prevent back filling one tank from another and as a safety measure.

All in all,,, I do recommend the genuine Extend-a-Stay or the camping world equivalent as these are known safe.. I have seen "Home Made" Versions which are Downright dangerous.

Tags
propane, tank