Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #1

Propane water heater electric add on

Sorry if this has been asked and answered used search couldn't find exact scenario....
I see camco offers a 450 watt electric add on for propane water heaters about $70. They plug into the drain hole of water heater.... Camco also makes the 1000 watt and 1500 watt replacement elements for electric water heaters..... so advanced newb question if I can find a high wattage element that will screw into drain can I create my own kit? Replacement element is $20 same thermostat is $10 and would have to wire plug for either the actual kit or my proposed mod.... 30 amp coach figured I could run element to thermostat, thermostat to switch, and finally switch to j box where 30 amp comes in and remove existing outlet there. My boss suggested running to seperate cord that I could run to 120 plug on pole next to 30 amp plug but I would like to have this work when I am running generator while boondocking not just on shore power.
Bbybl302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The heat provided by a "Hott Rod" setup is pretty minimal. I've installed two of them over the years and found them useful when on shore power.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we have the hot rod and plug it into the outside outlet to heat the water while using the generator....
Old 12-08-2017, 09:44 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Yes you can make your own kit if you like, but those replacement 1400 watt elements are designed for standard electric heaters and won't screw into the Atwood drain plug.

Higher wattage merely heats the water faster (shorter recovery time). Doesn't give hotter water.

I personally think a 30A coach should have a separate plug for a water heater assist - 30A (3600 watts) doesn't go far if you consume 400+ watts at the heater.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:25 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Don't know anything about those WH mods but wanted to say hello! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:27 AM   #6

The thought process was definitely quicker recovery and possibly not having to turn on the propane, hence the large wattage(1500 watts per hour translates to 5,100 btus)
Bbybl302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbybl302 View Post
The thought process was definitely quicker recovery and possibly not having to turn on the propane, hence the large wattage(1500 watts per hour translates to 5,100 btus)
I installed the 450 watt Hott Rod setup in ours about 14 years ago. Ours is 30 amp service with a 6 gallon Atwood. Hard wired it in at shore power box. Can take a shower within 30 minutes of turning it on so water heater recovery is fairly quick. No problems with 3 of us showering (spaced out by 5 or 10 minutes). The propane has never been needed. Will have to say though, we don't routinely camp in <50° weather so that may make a difference.

Had one instance where we overloaded the pedestal breaker and that was when we had an electric space heater going, WH element going (i think), TV, lights, and then the final straw, the microwave oven (my DW did it ). Since then, and to be safe, we make sure to turn the space heater off, or at least to the lower setting, when microwave use is required.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #8

The reason those 'add on' heat elements are 450W or Less is due to size of drain holes

Atwood drain hole is 1/2" NPT
Suburban drain hole WITH anode rod is 3/4" NPT

Good luck finding a higher wattage element that will screw in the drain hole opening

Plus if you have the glass lined Suburban you will need an anode rod/element combo
Which means a shorter rod and a shorter/lower wattage element
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:36 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In theory the answer is yes.. However I don't think you will find one

Camco makes two differnet Hott Rod Sizes. One is shorter (length wise) for six gallon tanks and the longer, higher power one, for 10 gallon units

I changed my 1500 Watt element (The main) for a 375 Watt Element. Takes longer to heat the water if I turn off and on, but.. Still gets it done. I think i'm turnig it on tonight though.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:51 PM   #10

I guess my answer is why ...with the cost of propane so low and the small amount used why bother. Not sure how large our propane tank is, my guess might be 30-40 gallons. It was just a smidge over 3/4 full at the start of the season and at the end of the season we have just a smidge under a 1/4 tank. We use propane for furnace, cooking, water heater, and the furnace this fall for some late season trips. We have spent well over 30 days on the road this this year and even with the fridge running on gas while on the road we have used about a half tank+ of propane. Most of our travels have been on the road with very few stops to plug into shore power. Guess I am not seeing why not just use the propane as it heats the water so much faster and is relatively inexpensive.
airshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by airshot View Post
I guess my answer is why ...with the cost of propane so low and the small amount used why bother. Not sure how large our propane tank is, my guess might be 30-40 gallons. It was just a smidge over 3/4 full at the start of the season and at the end of the season we have just a smidge under a 1/4 tank. We use propane for furnace, cooking, water heater, and the furnace this fall for some late season trips. We have spent well over 30 days on the road this this year and even with the fridge running on gas while on the road we have used about a half tank+ of propane. Most of our travels have been on the road with very few stops to plug into shore power. Guess I am not seeing why not just use the propane as it heats the water so much faster and is relatively inexpensive.
We probably average about the same amount of time in our rig. If we relied on propane to heat both coach and water, we'd have to fill up with propane more than once a year. Close to $40 per fill. As it is now, with stove and refrigerator usage, i buy propane maybe once every two years. In other words, it took about four years to pay for the cheapy electric space heater and water heater element that we use. Both have more than paid for themselves over the past 15 years.

The other positive is that i don't have to take the time to drive down to the propane place as often.

Tags
electric, heat, heater, propane, water, water heater