Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2022, 09:53 PM   #1

Purchasing/Installing an Onboard Generator

Finally, after what seems like ages, I bought a 2008 Four Winds Chateau 22 feet Class C motorhome in excellent shape from a very senior citizen couple. The only problem is that it does not have an on board generator. All of the wiring and facilities are there. In a way that's fairly good as I'll have a new one installed and hopefully no problems for months if not years.

Would greatly appreciate if you folks could point me in the right direction? What is the best way to facilitate a new Generator? I'm thinking that I need a 4K unit to allow for maximum benefit. What are the different brands and quality thereof? Should I buy one on line and then hire a generator mechanic to install it or should I have a maintenance place do the entire job? I saw a new type of generator, https://www.wayinterglobal.com/colle...ower-generator. Does anyone know anything about them?

Before I start calling around I would like to know what I am talking about in some respects. That is why I reach out here.

Thanks Again
Old Guy Dave
Floridastorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2022, 06:49 AM   #2

I'd try to find out what the manufacturer installed then and try to find one of those. This sidesteps all the research you'd otherwise have to do for the volume and clearance requirements of the enclosure and such, and you might even find one and all its mounting hardware in an RV salvage yard.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 07:14 AM   #3

Try to find one from a salvage yard from the same model as your motorhome. You will need mounts exhaust and possibly a transfer switch. Talk to the salvage yard people and explain to them what you are doing so they can include everything needed including the hardware , If you have to pay someone to do it , it makes more sense to get the generator that was made for the vehicle
Old 06-19-2022, 07:27 AM   #4

I wouldn't consider anything but Onan for a generator. They're probably one of the oldest suppliers in the RV industry. There are very few parts that aren't available even for older generators. A brand new manufacturer might not be around in a year, and it could be a rebranded Chinese model that never had parts support.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 10:57 AM   #5

All new MHs come with generators manufactured by Onan whether they are propane, gasoline or diesel powered. So as indicated above, use an Onan.

Your Chateau is gasoline powered, right? So use a gasoline generator. Onan makes a 4kw gas powered generator, but you might want to consider the new GG 2800i which is an inverter generator like the well known Honda. It is much, much quieter at low loads than the gas version.

The only problem may be the power rating. Onan says that it can start a 13,500 btu/hr A/C unit, so if you have one of these or smaller on your Chateau that is what I would recommend. Norwal.com is a US dstributer for Onan so check the specs and price of the 2800i.

Installation consists of mechanically mounting it on an outside wall, presumably where the factory mounts them. Then you need to hook up fuel and starting connections. The power output can go through a transfer switch or just use a plug in outlet to switch from shore to generator power. A good independent RV shop or mobile mechanic is what I would look for to do this work. I bet it won't be cheap, perhaps $2,000 for installation on top of about $3,000 for the generator.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:36 PM   #6

Thank you to all.

Decided I'm going to go with a mobile mechanic and a 4K Onan Gas Generator. He says that he can construct a tray for it. No, it's not cheap. In the area of $6,000 for everything. However, I did get a very good deal on this motorhome which is in showroom condition. Rather not have a lower powered generator that will have trouble starting the 13,500 AC especially when other electrical appliances may be needed at the same time.
Floridastorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, install