Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2007, 01:10 PM   #15

This is a great thread, very informative for those of us who don't totally understand this stuff.
I don't want to hijack, but I have some related questions. I have the Magnum Energy controller with charger, inverter and AGS controller. When boondocking (without A/C) I want to run off batteries & inverter, and have the AGS kick in when the battery voltage gets low. Questions:

Does the generator automatically charge the batteries or do I need to turn the charging system on with the panel? I assume the panel needs to be charging, if this is the case will the panel remember the charging status and stay turned on when the generator shuts off, so it will charge the next time it is started?

Does the engine charge the house batteries too?

The voltage for the AGS is adjustable, what is a good voltage to set it for? I don't want to run the batteries down so far the gen won't start.

TIA

John

CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2007, 01:50 PM   #16
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The generator powers the inverter which charges the batteries.

You'll need to check your inverter owners manual, but I'm quite sure battery charging is automatic as soon as the inverter is supplied by AC, from either the generator or shore power, and I believe charging occurs whether the inverter is turned on or off.

The engine will charge the house batteries, but not nearly as efficiently as the inverter.

Sorry, I can't answer your other questions.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:37 PM   #17

latitude: Q1: yes. Q2: With no loads, leave shore off for a few days or a week or so and maybe make some popcorn in the micro or bring an electric cube heater running off the inverter for a few hours while you dust. We all have some parasitic loads that over a week or so will make a little dent in the voltage as well. Do some experiments.

Point is, a little battery "exercise" is good during the RV dormant season - don't obsess over it, keep it simple, easy, and fun.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:10 PM   #18

csx: dirk has you on target, as usual. Again, some experimentation is warranted to make sure as there are subtle coach to coach differences even on the same model. But, if set to charge during gen/shore and then cycle gen/shore it should return to charge. Mine does. Check the charge limit setting on the inverter/panel, some displays call it "PWR SHR" or "Set Shore Power" or something like that. Make sure it is set to maximize what AC amp capacity is feeding the coach.

Regarding the chassis vs house charging scenario. It all depends on what is installed in your coach. Somewhere in irv2-land is an extensive BIRD thread - the device that controls what (house vs chassis) gets charged when (charger/alternator). For some reason I can't find it. This topic will need some experimentation or a call to Newmar to confirm what you actually have - though there is no substitute to verify yourself. Supposed to have and actually have are not always the same and I, an inquiring mind, wants to know exactly how my specific systems behave. An inductive DC ammeter is a great tool to have on hand, Sears for $80 or so.

The voltage to use is a religious topic. I will only say that the %depletion vs. volts charts, which are factual and non-religious, are always based on completely "at rest" battery readings and the voltage you are setting via the AGS is a completely "under load" voltage. Hence, the AGS voltage chosen will be "a whole lot less." A battery under load will read significantly lower volts than if you stop the load and let that same battery rest for several hours. You will notice that the AGS volt choices are a lot lower than the theoretical 50% or 75% voltage levels - for that reason.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:26 PM   #19

As seems to be usual for my coach the inverter manual is missing. I have the manual for the Magnum Energy controller, which is about as helpful as a good social disease.
I guess I need to write down some detailed questions and call Newmar when they return to work next Monday, as I leave on Tuesday for Las Vegas.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:37 PM   #20

Wow, all I can say is thank you everyone for all this information. Great stuff I learned a lot reading this thread.

2008 Saturn Vue
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:06 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey JavaJelly

Scott,

It's time for you to enjoy your vacation and stop worring about the gremlins in the electrical system. Go to the Mel Fisher Museum in Key West and use your energy to touch and lift a pure gold bar.

I'm sorry your U of Conn. lost their game in Orlando But good for the "Deacons"

Happy and a blessed New Year.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:08 AM   #22
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As seems to be usual for my coach the inverter manual is missing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The manuals are all available online and can be downloaded to your hard drive for easy reference.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:48 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> It's time for you to enjoy your vacation and stop worring about the gremlins in the electrical system. Go to the Mel Fisher Museum in Key West and use your energy to touch and lift a pure gold bar.

I'm sorry your U of Conn. lost their game in Orlando But good for the "Deacons"
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Max,

Thank you for your concern. My coach is my hobby and when I'm on vacation is when I get to work on it. It is actually fun for me especially when I have plenty of time.

Also, I've seen about every point of interest in the Keys after coming here for 20 years. I now get to come at a much more leiusurly pace now that I own a campground and am in no real rush to get back home.

Secondly, I'm not a Husky but rather, a Spartan from Michigan State. We still got beat by Boston College. I also happen to be a grad of University of Michigan. They get beat, I mean, play today in Orlando too. I think there are 3 bowl games there.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The manuals are all available online and can be downloaded to your hard drive for easy reference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any idea what my inverter is so I can find the manual? If not, where can I find it to see if I can locate identifying marks?

Thanks again

John

Old 01-01-2008, 01:21 PM   #25

It should be located in the basement, furthest toward the back up between the chassis rails. A box about the size of two shoe boxes together.

It'll be a
Magnum Energy
or a
Xantrex

White (TrueSineWave) or black (ModifiedSineWave) if a Magnum, yellow features if a Xantrex which can also be grey or white.

My money is it's a Magnum. You'll need to look for the model on the unit itself.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #26

Hi John! It been nice talking with you on the phone. Congrats on your purchase of the MADP 4528. I think you picked the perfect coach! I am sure you have the Magnum Invertor. Probably the 3200 Watt Modified Sine Wave. The manuals are a little hard to understand. it is a fairly easy setup, once you get use to it. Paul
Old 01-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #27

There should be a sheet pasted to the wall in the bedroom closet with the model and serial number of your inverter. It is easier to look in the closet than crawling in the basement with a flashlight. That closet chart comes in handy since it lists the model and serial number of everything Newmar installed.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #28

Thanks again folks, I found the information on the info sheet in the closet, it is a Magnum Energy ME2012, 2000 watt inverter. I downloaded the instructions for it and, just like the Magnum Energy remote controller, they read like bad Japanese stereo instructions. I don't understand much more now than I did before. They're very basic instructions that just really don't do much more than graze the surface.
I will call Newmar on Monday, they don't get off the phone until I thoroughly understand the intricacies of the inverter/charging/AGS system.