Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #1

questionable contaminated propane

In another posting I asked about heating issues where I felt I wasn't getting the propane heater to fire or heat correctly. I also commented that I recently filled the propane tank, fixed 31 gallon tank. Prior to the recent filling, at a place I had previously used, the propane fired items worked good. In addition to the heater the water heater is reluctant to fire up. I have to have it go through 5-6 attempts before it will fire and stay lit. Stove lights normally but the ignitor is slow to get it lit. A butane fire starter or match will light a burner promptly. No propane oven.

If I have received a "bad batch" what checks can I do with the propane?. I have heard of excessive oil in propane causing problems. Is water an issue? If I have a contaminate, how can I purge the tank short of emptying it and refilling? Looking for suggestions. Thanks
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2018, 10:31 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd take it to an LP gas shop and have them check it. If it's bad, you could perhaps get the place that filled it reimburse you.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:34 PM   #3

Replace your LP Regulator........
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:42 AM   #4

Old Biscuit is in the right direction... I used to run a couple of vehicles on propane and have spent some time in that industry... and had a couple of friend who ran a bulk plant... I don't ever remember seeing a contaminated batch of fuel... I have seen small tanks that have had the valve left open where moisture could enter the tank and condense on the inside and later rust...

Remember that the fuel in the tank is a liquid, and it has to boil off to a gas to leave the vapor port on the top of the tank to enter the regulator..

Usually the inlet side of the regulator will have a screen which will show you anything that's suspended in the gas as it leaves the tank and enters the regulator...
Old 03-21-2018, 06:04 AM   #5

Regulator could be the problem that's getting worse. I also have a 2nd propane heater for the rear of the coach. It's in the far left rear corner and provides a more direct heat to the bath and bedroom. When we bought it the heater worked but have had difficulty since with it. While I had an ESP I took the coach in for a few repairs and included that. They said the pressure/flow was low and that by placing a towel over the exhaust while it was trying to fire, you could get it to light and stay lit. They did tell me the pressure it had at the heater but I don't remember what that was. They also measured at the stove and said that was low but not low enough to affect cooktop burner operation. Otherwise the heater will go through 3 cycles of attempting to fire then stop. Since we don't go places that are really cold for long periods of time I have no worried about that.

BUT it appears the issue is affecting other appliances so time to act on it. As I recall from my last investigations of it, the regulator is the type that lays on it's side for the vent to be down as opposed to vertical orientation. When we got the coach I was going to install an "extend-a-stay" or some such device but the fittings used by Winnebago were not compatible with the kit sold at CW. I even called the manufacturer and they confirmed that my model wouldn't work as a quick bolt on. I might have been able to put together a series of adaptor but didn't. At any rate my "play" with the propane system didn't change anything at that time and that was almost 3 years ago.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane