Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2020, 08:06 PM   #29

How bad it is is up for debate. When you start out you can get some information from these threads, as time goes on you understand the dynamics and either ignore them or contribute if you want. I think the phenomenon is worse in Facebook

Here are some more that come to mind.

What is the best air compressor to buy.

What is the best TPMS to buy.

Can I use my motorhome RV propane tank to run my grill.

What is the best toad.

What is the best toad braking system.

Where can I get RV windshield wiper blades.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2020, 08:39 PM   #30

My mother-in-law used to tell the same story 3 times at the dinner table. At least here, you can, not read the thread.

What is the solution to this unbearable situation?
Close the forum to new posts, because everything has been asked and answered?
Just look it up, right?
Prohibit anyone from posting a question that has already been asked?
Report repetitive questions to have them deleted?

Is this thread even helpful?
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:58 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What toilet paper should be used in an RV?
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talloaks View Post
Yep, and apparently planted the idea in people's minds that it's possible for them too!

You can bet they didn't try going downhill though.

No, that was Nikola
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/14/niko...ud-claims.html
Old 12-22-2020, 10:38 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
My mother-in-law used to tell the same story 3 times at the dinner table. At least here, you can, not read the thread.

What is the solution to this unbearable situation?
Close the forum to new posts, because everything has been asked and answered?
Just look it up, right?
Prohibit anyone from posting a question that has already been asked?
Report repetitive questions to have them deleted?

Is this thread even helpful?
Well, I have tried in at least three posts just within this one thread to suggest solutions. Maybe I need to create another thread on the similar subject

And, If the forum owners choose to not change anything, then it's up to the community and mods to "improve" the situation. So, if that doesn't happen, then the thread is for fun, and doesn't need to be "helpful".
Old 12-22-2020, 10:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
What toilet paper should be used in an RV?
ah Yes, the old TP questions.
So, when one posts a question like that...do they assume that they are the only one that ever asked that question?

I guess I am too impatient to wait for someone to maybe reply to my problem at hand (hmmm, maybe not the best wording for the subject...)

Just for a test, I just searched for "Toilet paper" and found within 200ms exactly the right threads to answer my profound question. Now, if users had rated the quality of the threads, that would hone me in even further. But alas, I had to read about three to get the gist of the issues circling TP questions and answers. Now I can relax....
Old 12-23-2020, 04:24 AM   #35

The search function doesn't work on my Android phone and app , I mean it brings up pages of random posts . Even if I use google But.. if I then posts on IRV2 and use drop down and individual short titles I can make work one at a time. Works fine on PC.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:09 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssl View Post
What is the best air compressor to buy.

What is the best TPMS to buy.

Can I use my motorhome RV propane tank to run my grill.

What is the best toad.

What is the best toad braking system.

Where can I get RV windshield wiper blades.
Many of these questions are actually valid to ask repeatedly over time. New products come onto the market, old products disappear, new vendors show up, etc. Also, usually someone has qualifying conditions that are different. E.g. maximum price, or a Toad that must be able to haul kayaks on the roof, etc. While the question might sound similar, the details can make it such that the best answer for one person is not the same as the best answer for another.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:38 AM   #37

I want a 5 star quality rig. Where can I get one for a 2 star price?

I want all the bling found in a 40' unit. Who has all that in a 25' TT?

Many parks have a 30' limit. Can my 40'er fit?

Can my 1/2 ton pull what a 1 ton is really needed for?

Is a SRW as stable as a DRW?
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:56 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
If old subjects are bothersome to you there’s an easy solution, Don’t read the thread. What a concept.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:00 AM   #39

The repetitive post don't really bother me to a point, and I also find the search to be cumbersome. I just ignore stuff "I" think is frivolous, others may think it's a great topic.
The only thing on here that kind of drives me nuts is the snarky replies to a simple question.
-How can I improve my headlights ? .... Don't drive at night.
-How to add docking lights ?..... Don't park at night.
-Any great FHU campgrounds near "X" ? .... We only boondock.
The list goes on, but you get the idea.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:10 AM   #40

Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I'm a relative newbie, still working on building up my own personal knowledge base. In trying to learn, I always try to do a search first. Here's what I think attributes to the repetitive thread subjects:

1- First and foremost, the search function on most forums, this one included, is terrible. 99% of what it turns up is useless. You'd have to sort through thread after thread after thread to get what you need.

2- Most threads go off the rails and into the weeds after the first group of posts on it. It starts out as perhaps a Workhorse chassis issue or question, and by the end it's about gas vs. diesel. Happens all the time. So you have to search (see #1 above) endlessly to sort through countless meandering and meaningless threads, most of which go off the rails, to try to find a nugget of what you really need to know.

3- Many times there's lots of threads on an issue such as tire pressure, but they don't answer a users very specific issue.

4- On a mature and active forum such as this one, over the years most information has in one way or another been covered. If we were to expect everyone to search rather than ask, we could just shut the forum down and use it strictly as a research asset. I don't think anyone wants that.

5- Given all the above, plus many more things not listed above, sometimes it's simpler and easier just to ask than than to spend hours searching using a search function that many times is useless.

I've learned so much from so many of you. I've not only learned but have enjoyed the give and take.
I will add to this that many people don't make the title of their OP loaded with search keywords such that a quick scan of search results will lead to relevant info. It's not just here. it's human nature it seems. On every forum I've joined very few topic starters are thinking of future searchers when they post...
Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:14 AM   #41

Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
If old subjects are bothersome to you there’s an easy solution, Don’t read the thread. What a concept.
The "scroll on" guide to internet bliss.
Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:15 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Well, I have tried in at least three posts just within this one thread to suggest solutions. Maybe I need to create another thread on the similar subject

And, If the forum owners choose to not change anything, then it's up to the community and mods to "improve" the situation. So, if that doesn't happen, then the thread is for fun, and doesn't need to be "helpful".
Best of luck.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote