Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2016, 05:34 AM   #1

Rear Heater Issue

I have a Mor Aid rear heater in my Winnebago 2011 Sightseer 33C. Recently, I noticed that the rocker switch lights were not illuminated, nor would the fan operate. Traced to a bad fuse, replaced and the fan then worked in both low and high speeds.

I went down to the storage facility and started the motor home and discovered that the fuse had blown again. Keep in mind, that the unit is winterized and the water heater is in bypass.

I had no time for troubleshooting at that time, so will return for more troubleshooting later. When I replace the fuse and the fan works (temporarily) there appears to be no binding noises at all. I've searched all the threads on this subject and nothing seems to address this issue directly. There appeared to be one helpful thread, but all the pictures had been deleted.

Advice welcome. Love this forum and all the helpful folks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2016, 08:55 AM   #2

It's called Motor aid, not Mor aid.
First, verify that the fuse is the correct size.
If it is, I suggest you put an ammeter in the circuit and measure the amperage the fan motor is drawing. Do this first at the motor. If the amperage is less than the fuse rating, repeat the test at the switch. If you get a higher reading here, you've got a short in the wiring somewhere between the switch and the fan motor.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
It's called Motor aid, not Mor aid.
First, verify that the fuse is the correct size.
If it is, I suggest you put an ammeter in the circuit and measure the amperage the fan motor is drawing. Do this first at the motor. If the amperage is less than the fuse rating, repeat the test at the switch. If you get a higher reading here, you've got a short in the wiring somewhere between the switch and the fan motor.
Thanks! I will proceed with this great advice soonest. I did verify the fuse as this is the second time I've replaced it. 10 amp.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:39 PM   #4

I you can get to it, spin the fan with your finger to see if it spins freely. If it drags, it may run but burn the fuse after it runs a while because it's drawing too much current.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My understanding is that a number of folks with older vehicles have had problems with the fan sticking and blowing the fuse. I would recommend getting access to the fan to check it out.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:55 PM   #6

Rent, borrow, or buy an AC/DC inductive ammeter and determine ampere draw of the unit while running. It clamps around pos. wire and reads current draw/flow through the circuit. It may be left in-place to constantly measure current draw from start-up to when the fuse blows.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:40 AM   #7

Wrong fuse size

I keep blowing 10 amp fuses with this problem and looked up the voltage for the fan and lo and behold it's a 15 amp switch/fan. I really don't know why the factory put in a 10 amp fuse. Shoot me down if my reasoning is wrong. Definitely not an electrician. Nothing else appear to be wired to the same fuse.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:43 AM   #8

Here's a link to the switch. 15 Amp switch
Old 03-07-2016, 02:36 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's a known issue. The motor seizes up because the fan shifts to one end and binds. Mine did it at about 6 years.
On mine there were three other items connected to the same fuse including the auto step retraction signal lead and the backup monitor. Removing it was going to be a major pain because it was located way back against the wall and the water heater would have to be removed to access it. I had used it maybe twice in the six years since I bought the motor home in 2004 so pulled the dash switch out (it is just snapped into the dash and comes out easily) and unplugged the connector and put the switch back in place. I did that so I wouldn't inadvertently turn the fan on and blow the fuse again.

Tags
heat, heater