Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2018, 11:35 AM   #1

Rear rock guard mud flap

Looking for names of Class A mud flap manufacturers. Good and bad feedback appreciated. Need to replace rear mud flap on our Monaco Coach.
2008MDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2018, 01:13 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Full-width mud flaps tend to 'sweep the highway' either physically if they are hung too low or by fanning air flow to stir up material that will fly back and land on your toad. I much prefer flaps behind the rear dual tires to knock down anything flipped up by the tires. JMHO

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Full-width mud flaps tend to 'sweep the highway' either physically if they are hung too low or by fanning air flow to stir up material that will fly back and land on your toad. I much prefer flaps behind the rear dual tires to knock down anything flipped up by the tires. JMHO
I agree, ditch the rear flap and install a set of flaps behind the duals.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:44 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This subject comes up often, and there are some different opinions,

The fact is.... that all motorhome I have ever seen in recent years already have mud flap behind the wheels. No need to install mud flaps!

So now we come to the heavy rock guard. If it is the heavy solid type hanging about an inch or so above the road, nothing coming off the rear tires is going to fly up.

I am on my fourth motorhome, and have been RVing since the late 70's...and never once have had anything other than dirt go onto my toad.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:53 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
On my DP, the rock guard -- the big long beast closer to the bumper -- is mounted right under the radiator. I also have mud flaps behind the rear wheels. The rock guard acts like a air dam, building pressure in front and a vacuum behind. The pressure in front forces air up into the radiator, and the vacuum behind helps draw air thru the radiator, similar to air dams on everything from sports cars to semis.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:01 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
PS. I had to replace mine due to damage from the repo process. I have data on my other computer. I will find such and relay.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:10 PM   #7

I too recommend Mud Flaps behind the duallys and leave the ad flap off.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:53 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Dura Flap makes really nice custom flaps.

https://duraflap.com/

I've been running a rock guard on a DP for almost 15 years, without issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
On my DP, the rock guard -- the big long beast closer to the bumper -- is mounted right under the radiator. I also have mud flaps behind the rear wheels. The rock guard acts like a air dam, building pressure in front and a vacuum behind. The pressure in front forces air up into the radiator, and the vacuum behind helps draw air thru the radiator, similar to air dams on everything from sports cars to semis.
If you have a rear radiator, the 'air dam' also could pull plastic bags off the roadway and direct them into your radiator. I'm not sure it provides any better airflow and cooling through the radiator than an RV without the full-width flap.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:59 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you have a rear radiator, the 'air dam' also could pull plastic bags off the roadway and direct them into your radiator. I'm not sure it provides any better airflow and cooling through the radiator than an RV without the full-width flap.

The plastic bag scenario is possible with or without the air dam, but mitigated by the mesh under the engine. 30,000 miles and no plastic bags yet.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:06 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Last year my son hit a thrown re-tread on the highway. His rear flap saved his very custom Jeep from some serious damage, not so for the flap though.

My rear flap is installed correctly, 4" off the road and I have never had any toad damage from towing.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:01 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig36 View Post
This subject comes up often, and there are some different opinions,

The fact is.... that all motorhome I have ever seen in recent years already have mud flap behind the wheels. No need to install mud flaps!

So now we come to the heavy rock guard. If it is the heavy solid type hanging about an inch or so above the road, nothing coming off the rear tires is going to fly up.

I am on my fourth motorhome, and have been RVing since the late 70's...and never once have had anything other than dirt go onto my toad.
An inch above the road? That sounds like a recipe for trouble at 65 MPH.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:13 AM   #13

X2 for Duraflap....they can replicate your current rock guard or put any name or message you want on the polished stainless steel plating.
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:25 AM   #14

My opinion,I have the full flap which I believe saved my toad from my tire blow out. It had lots of steel tire cord stuck into the chains. I believe if installed correctly (not dragging the ground) they do more good than possible harm.