Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #1

Question Rear Wheel Seals leaking on W22

I have just over 22,000 km on my 2008 Southwind and noticed oil on the outside of the rear wheels. I have the Alcoa wheels and the oil is coming from under the bearing cover. There is enough that I am sure it is gear oil. I opened the oil plug in the rear axle and added about 1/2 litre of gear oil to bring it back up to full. It seems odd to me that if the seal is going that it would happen on both sides at the same time or is this something other folks have experienced? There is what looks like somekind of a pressure release valve near the top side of the hub but the hub pictured in my Workhorse manual is not the same axle that I have on this unit (manual is dated 2006, not sure why they didn't put an up to date manual in my motorhome!). I will be taking it in to the dealer but would like to hear from anyone who has experienced this before I get the "oh my, never heard of this before! Must be normal wear!"
Benandlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2009, 10:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I happened to me on our on our 07 W22, ... about 30 minutes work on each wheel and covered by warranty. They (Workhorse) never questioned fault as there is no wear and tear on an axle seal.

I spoke to Workhorse tech before we had it fixed, and he didn't even flinch and went on to schedule us into a service center as we where traveling in Utah at the time.

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #3

Thanks Corkey, I was hoping that was the case. This kind of help sure proves the value of this Forum.

Ben
Old 05-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is most likely the outer axle gaskets if the oil is on the outside of the wheel. When they transport these chassis to the MH manufacture they stack them sometimes three at a time piggy back on each other and they have to take the axles out to keep the drive train from turning. When they get to where they are going the transporter puts the axles back in so he can drive them around. By doing this they don't always get torqued to the proper torque and after time they come loose and leak. Its not a big problem and they will probably pull the axles, clean them up then eather replace the gaskets or just use silicone. I prefer silicone because after the axles are torqued there is no gasket between the axle and hub to wear out.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:26 PM   #5

I took the motorhome in to the dealer and had the same experience as Corkey, Workhorse warrantied the repair (which was the rear seals). I was surprised, called on Friday, they said bring it in, they called this morning (Tuesday) to say it was done, come pick it up. Had my Koni shocks installed and some other items done at the same time, great service!
Old 05-27-2009, 08:23 AM   #6

I would just torque the bolts on the axle seal. I has worked before and that is probably the only problem you have.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Walker View Post
I would just torque the bolts on the axle seal. I has worked before and that is probably the only problem you have.
Retorqing the bolts might possible cure the problem, but why run the risk when the warranty covers all contingencies. Mine had paper seals they found had cracked, ... had I tightened the bolts myself in an attempt to fix the problem it would have been very easy for Workhorse to point to unauthorized work and deny my claim. It's been my experience to always follow the warranty first, self help second.

On another note, removing the wheels in order to remove the axle cap covering the hub isn't something most of us are equipped to do, .. there is no way I would ever wrestle with one of those rear wheels by myself. Some might, but not me

I do agree some of these things seem simple on the surface, but I am still in awe of the complexity that usually comes with the simple things

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote