Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2005, 06:18 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
OK, found my hitch receivcer lose so decided that is a simple fix to tighten it up - not so. It is rivited. Or at least they look like rivits. How does one get these off so as to replace with a hardened bolt say of grade 8? Even attached to the frame I'm sure Workhorse will have nothing to do with it and being a National Product out of warranty I'm sure they will have nothing to do with it besides paying of course.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2005, 06:18 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
OK, found my hitch receivcer lose so decided that is a simple fix to tighten it up - not so. It is rivited. Or at least they look like rivits. How does one get these off so as to replace with a hardened bolt say of grade 8? Even attached to the frame I'm sure Workhorse will have nothing to do with it and being a National Product out of warranty I'm sure they will have nothing to do with it besides paying of course.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:04 AM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
Bob, Mine are bolted on but I couldn't get up there good enough to see what grade they are but if I were to rebolt mine,
grade 8 sounds like about my style of overkill.

You may have to drill out the rivets and or use an angle grinder.

I sure like the stout frame the hitch is connected to. Way to go Workhorse.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 10:55 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Ya, my nick name is overkill. But I always feel safer that way. Thanks for the note, grinding sound right as I dont' have to room for a drill less I use an angle drill. I'll have to check it out. Again, thanks.

Bob
Old 10-19-2005, 09:33 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
I have decided that this is a National RV problem as it can very well be a Highway Safety Problem as well. I emailed National and was advised to "make an appointment here at the factory for assessment" I then called the factory, National, and spoke with a young lady in scheduleing and was then told that my coach is out of warranty and they only deal with warranty items at this time. Now my issue was that National knew at the time of the emails that this was an 03 but now they are passing the buck. Was told to take it to a dealer to be reparied. It just seems that now a days you really get shoved around. After talking to the dealer, they said it has to be assessed from National before they will do the work, outside of me just paying for the job outright. I'm waiting to hear back from National again as now they are talking to the service manager about his possible highway safety problem.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:15 AM   #6

A low tire is a possible saftey problem. When the warranty is out, it's your dime. Pony up and get it fixed, or buy a grinder and do it yourself.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:01 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
chartliez, a low tire is mostly preventable.

Yes, I am perfectly capable of doing it. I even have the tools to do it. But that is not the point. This has been a reacuring problem on some of these chassis, if someone was unaware of this issue with their unit and it came off, well, the safety chains and/or cables are also attached to the same piece of equipment. I want them to assess it for their own information, I want them to see it. I will even pay to have it fixed as long as they make an assesment as to the cause. I would feel guilty in a way if someone did get hurt over this same issue. I'm only one person and one assesment is all I ask.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:05 AM   #8

Go ahead and report it to NHTSA and your manufacturer. But fix it and keep receipts.

You did a good job by finding the problem before you lost your toad.

Seems tpo me receiver failures are a major cause of toads coming loose.

and a Bob Tail Cat
Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:33 AM   #9

I had the same problem with the rivits loosening on my 2003 Dolphin, and I just happened to be at a National Rally in Macon, GA. I asked the National service men to fix the problem, they said they couldn't fix it. I spoke with the National VP of sale about the problem, he told me to take the RV to an RV dealer and have it fixed. He said to send hi the bill and he would pay it. I did and he did.
Ray Grassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:47 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
After several days of going back and forth, National has agreeded to have my coach assessed at their location in Paris in December. The particulars at this time are not really important, what is important is at least they will look at it. At that time I will give an update.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:25 PM   #11

The way i look at it is, motorhomes are like old harleys, don't buy unless have plenty money or don't care to get dirty or both. Me I got to get dirty! NO MONEY!!!!! Will work for gas
Old 11-06-2005, 05:22 AM   #12

After purchasing our NRV Dolphin, I was crawling around under the chassis, just to familiarize myself w/ what I had. Upon seeing the hitch, and the way it was affixed to the chassis, (I had very nearly lost an enclosed 16' trailer some years earlier, due to the chassis actually tearing apart), I knew some strengthening was in order, and I wasn't going to wait 3-6 month's for NRV to see my rig. I took it to a certified welder friend, and together we put together a plan, and acted upon it. Now, I have no fear of towing anything, and, yes, I still crawl under there occasionally, and inspect the welds, to prevent history from repeating itself.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:26 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Well here it is December and yesterday National RV did indeed fix my hitch. They took it in for an inspection and three hours latter it was done. Excellent work at that. I talked to the man that did the work and he had added two lower 1 1/2" square tubing lengths to go from the top of the cross bar to the lower part of the chassis. I can tow anything now without any worry about losing the hitch. They did one heck of a job. Nothing was really said on either side but it is done and I be a happy camper. Thank you National RV.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:48 AM   #14

Did they do this work for free?
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote