Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2021, 02:08 PM   #15

My experience...

I purchased a Southwire Surge Guard 35530 and installed it - after replacing one of the screws that stripped, I plugged it in. It did nothing. After a long time, it connected power. But sometimes it didn't.

When I read the manual, it said that it takes TWO MINUTES to power on and reconnect. I couldn't believe it. So, we arrive at a campsite, hook up, and the family has to wait two minutes for A/C, if it even turns on? (what do you do if it doesn't?)

I did not purchase the monitoring panel, and likely will not, but I'm sure that it would be helpful in the event that the power does not come on. I took it apart and plan to some day design a new circuit board to replace it. Except that I probably won't use any of the pieces. It was a waste of money for me and I'd rather not have that headache. (yes, I know the dangers of HV/LV/surge, etc.)

Haven't posted much, don't know how you guys keep up with this forum, but I would never recommend this product, hopefully the others work better or you have a better experience.

Shawn
Grizzly73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2021, 02:19 PM   #16

I bought the hardwired Hughes EMS. For me it's the fact that it connects to my phone via bluetooth and my phone acts as the remote display, so either inside the coach or outside at hookup I can get a clear view of the power situation, and of course any error codes it displays. The remote display is with me at all times. It works like a charm.
Old 06-28-2021, 02:43 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly73 View Post
I purchased a Southwire Surge Guard 35530 and installed it - after replacing one of the screws that stripped, I plugged it in. It did nothing.
... other than the lights blinking as it tested the incoming power.

Quote:
and the family has to wait two minutes for A/C, if it even turns on? (what do you do if it doesn't?)
If it doesn't, you pay attention to the lights on the unit and/or get out a meter to find out what the problem is with the power. And how long does the poor impatient family have to wait for ac after bad power damages & shuts down the ac? It was about a month & several hundred $$$ for my neighbor waiting to get his fixed.

Bad power ... aka low voltage etc ... very rarely will fail to run your rv ... this time. The damage is cumulative and happens over minutes, hours or days depending on how "bad" it is.

Oh well, at least you got to take it apart and see what was inside!!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
... other than the lights blinking as it tested the incoming power.

If it doesn't, you pay attention to the lights on the unit and/or get out a meter to find out what the problem is with the power. And how long does the poor impatient family have to wait for ac after bad power damages & shuts down the ac? It was about a month & several hundred $$$ for my neighbor waiting to get his fixed.

Bad power ... aka low voltage etc ... very rarely will fail to run your rv ... this time. The damage is cumulative and happens over minutes, hours or days depending on how "bad" it is.

Oh well, at least you got to take it apart and see what was inside!!
AFChap,

Are you proposing that two minutes is required to determine the quality of the incoming power?

Also it's not much fun to watch lights blink while you're sweating and waiting for it to come on. Regardless, the LEDs on the unit are insufficient to determine the fault cause, so completely useless to watch anyway.

While I appreciate your commentary, my complaint and lack of recommendation is due to the fact that I was unhappy with it's operation and could not recommend it. I did not say that the OP should not use surge protection, nor did I say that I ran without surge protection.

Shawn
Old 06-28-2021, 05:12 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Are you proposing that two minutes is required to determine the quality of the incoming power?
Yes, I don't think that brief time lapse is unreasonable at all for what it is doing. That certainly is much faster than I could do all those tests myself ... which a knowledgeable person COULD do with the right equipment .. but when that person is finished & kicks back with a cold drink (assuming all tests pass muster) the SurgeGuard stays on duty. If you want the exterior monitor, get it. I readily admit it would be a handy addition, although not absolutely necessary.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:48 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post

I then later installed a splitter and installed a 2nd display so I can monitor from in the coach if I am parked long term.
Where did you get the additional monitor ? I have the Progressive 50 amp hardwired unit and would like another monitor. Did you just use one of those phone splitter devices ?

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:16 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Yes, I don't think that brief time lapse is unreasonable at all for what it is doing.
Not trying to steal the thread, but just for grins, I compared the Surge Guard models and it appears to me that both the hardwired and plugin models do the same tests, yet the plugin models perform the checks in 10 seconds and the hardwired models perform the checks in 128 seconds. In my opinion, the hardwired should perform the checks in the same amount of time or quicker.

So I have a question for everyone that I have been asking myself. Say you pull into a campground at 9pm. It's 95 degrees and 95% humidity outside. Your surge guard device refuses to turn on - let's say because of low voltage. The campground is fully booked and the office is closed.

What do you do?
Old 06-30-2021, 07:22 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hit the bypass switch.

https://www.progressiveindustries.ne...ass-switch-kit

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Exactly!

Old 06-30-2021, 08:28 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly73 View Post
Not trying to steal the thread, but just for grins, I compared the Surge Guard models and it appears to me that both the hardwired and plugin models do the same tests, yet the plugin models perform the checks in 10 seconds and the hardwired models perform the checks in 128 seconds. In my opinion, the hardwired should perform the checks in the same amount of time or quicker
Actually, the Progressive hard wired HW50C can be set to delay for 128 seconds or 15 seconds. The 128 second delay is for RVs that don't already have a delay built into their A/Cs or thermostats. It's there to protect against the compressor trying to start under full head pressure. If you are already protected, you can set the delay to 15 seconds which is what mine is.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote