Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2021, 05:41 PM   #1

Recommendations for Surge Protector

We were told it would be a good idea to get a surge protector for the times (not real often) we camp with hook-ups. There are so many different kinds and such a wide range of prices, looking for recommendations. We have a 2017 Prism.

Thanks
SkiSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2021, 06:00 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSki View Post
We were told it would be a good idea to get a surge protector for the times (not real often) we camp with hook-ups. There are so many different kinds and such a wide range of prices, looking for recommendations. We have a 2017 Prism.

Thanks
30 amp or 50 amp?
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:14 PM   #3

I installed a Progressive Industries HW30C 30 Amp Hardwired Electrical Management System with Remote Display. This device is much more than a simple surge protector; It monitors the incoming Shore IPower for any anomalies (missing Neutral, Neutral/Hot cross connections, low supply voltage, etc) I opted for the hard wired version over the portable unit as to me it became a "Fit and Forget" item. This way it is not another step in site set up/strip down nor have to worry about possible theft of the unit. I wired into the coach so that both Shore Power and Generator supply are protected.
Unit comes with a lifetime warranty, and reports on this site of support (and Winnebago site next door) have been excellent.
Wiring of the HardWired unit is completely straight forward, but if you have any reservations whatsoever any competent electrician can have it installed in less than half an hour.
In the event of breakdown you can switch the unit to “ByPass” mode, or worst case, I have the tools and equipment to return the coach to original wiring configuration.
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:43 PM   #4

Progressive Industries has excellent products and customer service. If they fit within your budget, you can simplify your search by selecting from their hardwired or portable offerings.
Since you donít often hook up to a pedestal, a portable unit would work, although as stated above, the hardwired units make setup even easier. The hardwired units also allow you to replace the internal logic board if gets fried due to say a lightning strike. Surge protection will still work in bypass mode and Progressive will Fed Ex a new board.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:27 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Progressive, TRC/Southwire, or Hughes are the only brands I would consider. There are die hard devotes of each. If the cost is around $100 you are looking at only surge protectors. You need to look at the ems (electrical management system) you're that will be in the $300 plus range. Hard wired will be a little better than portable because it measures at your coach while plug in models measure at the pedestal, which does not include your power cord (broken ground, power drop, etc). Any of these three brand's ems models would serve you well. My choice right now is TRC for one primary reason: my understanding of the three is that it is the only one that measures power down stream as well as up stream, meaning it would detect a ground problem or open neutral inside your rv as well as in the shore power.
Blog at www.pjrider.com
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:08 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I installed the Progressive hard wired 50 amp unit, it comes with 1 display which I mounted in a compartment so I can watch it as it is checking power and finally switches it on in the coach. It shows L1 & L2 voltage and amps and hertz. but also displays faults for other problems like low/high voltage reversed polarity and open neutral.

I then later installed a splitter and installed a 2nd display so I can monitor from in the coach if I am parked long term.

I think this is helpful if you are in a park and it looks like it has a problem with lower voltage as it may get worse during peak usage periods.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:10 PM   #7

30 amp
SkiSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:20 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree look at a progressive EMS system. So much more than a "surge protector". It has saved our coach 4 times so far.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:48 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would go with the EMS series from Progressive Industries! They give you complete AC protection, not just surges. They also have a lifetime warranty!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:20 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I would go with the EMS series from Progressive Industries! They give you complete AC protection, not just surges. They also have a lifetime warranty!
As do the other "big name" ems's from TRC/Southwire, and Hughes. Not trying to be argumentative, but I am curious as to why, specifically, you favor Progressive? Is there something it does that the others do not? I am always wanting to know more about different products. Do you know anything about the other mfgers ems systems, or it it based simply on your experience with Progressive?
Blog at www.pjrider.com
Old 06-21-2021, 04:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSki View Post
We were told it would be a good idea to get a surge protector for the times (not real often) we camp with hook-ups.
As others have said, the EMS versions give MUCH better protection than a simple surge protector. I have the Progressive EMS, and like it, but I don't think there's much difference in all of the major manufacturers mentioned above. They come with some different features, including portable and hard-wired versions. Choose the one that has the features you want.
dvspl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:20 AM   #12

My EMS unit prevented damage to my rig yesterday!

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/prog...ig-543120.html

Every RV needs MORE than just surge protection!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:42 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
As do the other "big name" ems's from TRC/Southwire, and Hughes. Not trying to be argumentative, but I am curious as to why, specifically, you favor Progressive? Is there something it does that the others do not? I am always wanting to know more about different products. Do you know anything about the other mfgers ems systems, or it it based simply on your experience with Progressive?
I guess it's mostly experience with PI. For a long time PI was the only company making EMS protection systems with lifetime warranties. Now others are following suite, and they may be just as good. I just feel more comfortable recommending a product that I've had first-hand experience with!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:41 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I guess it's mostly experience with PI.
Thanks for the response. I think the name of TRC's ems product ( "SurgeGuard" ) has not served them well. It is so much more than the name implies. The company dates back to the early '80's. I bought my first TRC SurgeGuard shortly after we bought our coach in July 2003. I was not aware of Progressive's product line at that time. TRC replaced it after a lightening strike in late 2007. We did have damage, but not as extensive as unprotected coaches around us. It has saved me from bad power countless times over the years. Southwire bought TRC, I think in 2015, but so far has continued to use the TRC name on products.

The important thing is that rv'ers understand that this kind of protection for their rv is absolutely necessary, and will save them lots of grief & money. I have been telling a friend that since he bought his rv a couple of years ago, and now, after the 3rd pricey repair to his ac/ heat pump, I think he finally is a believer.
Blog at www.pjrider.com