Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2023, 09:40 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I'm guessing it's easier than packing everything up to move, although, if you run on the top 2/3 tank, you could probably go several weeks, but then your counting on the weather being good enough to do so!

Example.... I try not to drive my coach on salted roads.
He has a 150 gallon tank. Based on how long he said he was going to be there and adding 5 gallons every week or so, he would have at least 60 gallons left in his tank if he did not add any diesel.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2023, 10:38 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I heard red dye does not have the winter additive in cold weather. But other than that it's the same.

As others have mentioned I have never heard of them inspecting a private MH. Commercial and farm: at the state level depends on the state, at the federal level the IRS can inspect without cause.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 10:42 AM   #31

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
I heard red dye does not have the winter additive in cold weather. But other than that it's the same.
Isn't red dye diesel what they are using in home heating tanks?

That would have to have winter additives.
Old 03-03-2023, 11:31 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Dipping (fuel testing): There was a case here in Florida a couple years ago where a state DOT inspector came onto the private owners driveway to do a fuel test (which was positive for the red dye). The owner tried to claim the inspector was illegal (trespassing) but the courts rejected the claim because the inspector was responding to a valid report that illegal fuel was in use. It seems that somebody had turned him in! The court ruled that the inspection was legit as long as there was probably cause to enter private property.

I mention this only as an example of what might happen when neighbors see you circumventing the law.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 12:18 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Dipping (fuel testing): There was a case here in Florida a couple years ago where a state DOT inspector came onto the private owners driveway to do a fuel test (which was positive for the red dye). The owner tried to claim the inspector was illegal (trespassing) but the courts rejected the claim because the inspector was responding to a valid report that illegal fuel was in use. It seems that somebody had turned him in! The court ruled that the inspection was legit as long as there was probably cause to enter private property.

I mention this only as an example of what might happen when neighbors see you circumventing the law.
I was thinking this exact same thing yesterday. In normal everyday life, I do not think the OP would ever be tested or challenged. However, In today’s current society, you have to watch your back for it seems there’s always someone snooping around in order to cause trouble.
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 02:41 PM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
It is only illegal if you operate the vehicle ON road. You can used it off road as much as you want. Getting all measurable traces of the dye out will take running it to empty about 3 times.
Old 03-05-2023, 03:13 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
I spent a month in Tucson, I fueled at the same place at the NM - AZ border on the way in and on our way home, right at 30 days, now it was cold this year, evidently colder than normal years, when I fueled I took my average fuel mileage and calculated how much fuel I should have used, did the math and it came out to approximately 30 gallons in the month we were there. Fwiw.

I don’t have any comments about using Red dyed fuel, to the original poster, just don’t ask if you think is ok on a public platform, you know, like IRV2,
otherwise you are educating someone about what you are doing!

N E V E R !

jdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 03:16 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw1 View Post
I don’t have any comments about using Red dyed fuel, to the original poster, just don’t ask if you think is ok on a public platform, you know, like IRV2,
otherwise you are educating someone about what you are doing!

N E V E R !

Welcome to the age of "I make my decisions based on social media posts"!!!

So, where is Darwin when you need him???
Old 03-05-2023, 03:18 PM   #37

red diesel

One of the problems is that the dye stains the tank and an officer with a flashlight can write you that expensive ticket. Here in Taxifornia, I have seen Highway patrol directing diesel fuel vehicles to an off ramp to be tested; pickups, Semis and Motorhomes. An aquaintance with a diesel motorhome got busted and it had been 3 years since he ran the red (15,000 miles a year) the fine isn't worth it.
Dennistimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 03:37 PM   #38

Road Tax

And so how am I supposed to pay my 'road tax' when I plug in my Tesla?
Old 03-05-2023, 03:55 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
The only difference between the two is the amount of tax paid. Typically off road (dyed) is cheaper since there is no "highway" tax included in the price.

Yes it is perfectly legal to do what you propose, but not legal to operate it on public roadways with dyed fuel. How you over come that is up to you.

The only risk you have, is getting pulled over, getting your fuel tested and getting a large fine if caught using off road diesel while on a public road.

In a situation like you described the risk is quite low.

Here is just one article about it, https://offroadguides.com/what-is-th...ad-diesel.html
I’d venture to say that 100% of farmers that have motorhomes have put in farm fuel diesel from their tanks at home in their coach especially # 1 as they leave their homes during winter. I wonder how many on this forum have been pulled over and stopped by someone checking for red dye. I’d venture to say no one.
Schask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 04:02 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenf View Post
Most all of the states are looking at a "Road tax" based on miles driven during year. Will they repeal the tax on fossil fuels? I wouldn't count on it. And, of course, they will require an additional piece of equipment installed, a"mileage reporting device" Virginia already has such a program.
GeneLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 04:11 PM   #41

It's all about taxes.
Construction equipment building the roadsanywhere along a highway run red. Canada runs all red. All road tax issues. Iowa must not get any of the monies, know what I mean!
Roy Drewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 04:18 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenf View Post
In Oregon, electric vehicles are charged 3 times the registration fee of an ICE vehicle. Also title transfer fee is double for electric vs. ICE. The tax man always collects.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel