Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2023, 10:45 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Welcome to the age of "I make my decisions based on social media posts"!!!

So, where is Darwin when you need him???
Dead, like Nietzsche.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2023, 06:21 AM   #72

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
Simply that the reefer fuel does not have road tax included. Saves having to do a lot of paperwork later.
This thread is so full of opinions based on ZERO knowledge of how non road use diesel is dispensed and controlled. Ridiculous advice but expensive when you are caught.

1. Trucking companies file for tax refunds on fuel used in refer units. That why you can select REFER at the pump. The receipt indicates gallons and price.
2. Red died diesel will stain the fuel system on a diesel engine and will NOT disappear
3. If you decide to run red dye diesel in your coach and you take it to, lets say, ANY commercially LICENSED repair facility they are required by Federal Law to report your VIN to the DoT. This results in an investigation and your coach can be confiscated while the process continues. Your fine could be upwards to $50,000.

Bottom line. If you want to save a couple of bucks…press on
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 06:46 AM   #73

Please cite the FEDERAL law you are referring to that requires repair shops to report suspected red fuel use.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 07:19 AM   #74

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenf View Post
And so how am I supposed to pay my 'road tax' when I plug in my Tesla?
Out here the state (Oregon) has adopted a sliding scale for license plate fees. The less fuel you use (more efficient the vehicle) the more you pay to renew your plates. With electric vehicles paying the most (more than double an average vehicle) for titles and registration.
Old 03-10-2023, 06:39 AM   #75

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidlcyr View Post
I own a 2018 Dutchstar 4018. The heating system is fueled by diesel fuel. We are snowbirds and the coach is parked at an RV park in Benson, AZ Dec 1st thru April 1st. Fully 4 months off the roads. Is it legally acceptable and mechanically sound to use red dye diesel during that four months rather than highway diesel? I keep my tank full by going back and forth to the filling station with a 5 gallon can about once a week.
Thanks for your input.
Arizona has a state agency whose job it is to catch people who use the red dye diesel on the road.

Detective David Audelo, acting supervisor of the Fuel Tax Evasion Unit for ADOT's Enforcement and Compliance Division, said red-dyed diesel pumps are clearly marked as "off road use only" and visible to anyone filling up at a gas station.

If drivers see a violation, they should write down as much information as they can about the offending vehicle and take a photo if possible, but do not confront the driver or put themselves in harm's way, he said.

Those who see people using red-dyed diesel illegally can report it to the Fuel Tax Evasion Unit by calling 877.293.8357 or going to azdot.gov/RedDiesel.

A first-time offender could face a fine of $1,000 or $10 per gallon of the capacity of the fuel tank, whichever is greater, along with possible criminal charges and civil penalties. Those fines will be multiplied if a person has multiple violations.

https://azdot.gov/adot-blog/help-us-...tained%20roads.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:07 PM   #76

And here is where to report offenders in Illinois:
Motor Fuel Tax Fraud/Violations
Report Fraud On-Line or by phone
https://tax.aem-int-low-qa.illinois....tax-fraud.html
Rlh56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 09:47 PM   #77

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by David-n-BJ View Post
Out here the state (Oregon) has adopted a sliding scale for license plate fees. The less fuel you use (more efficient the vehicle) the more you pay to renew your plates. With electric vehicles paying the most (more than double an average vehicle) for titles and registration.
Also an Oregonian and prior owner of 3 different EV's. You were correct about Title Transfer fees over double the cost of ICE vehicles. However with the state's latest fee hike, registration is now just pennies under triple the fee of ICE vehicles. Sold EV when my insurance company hiked their rate as well. Would need to drive a lot more miles to break even on fees.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 09:47 PM   #78

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by David-n-BJ View Post
Gee, that makes sense!

Let's punish the people that buy fuel efficient vehicles !
Old 03-11-2023, 04:56 AM   #79

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Gee, that makes sense!

Let's punish the people that buy fuel efficient vehicles !
How do you see it that the people with fuel efficient vehicles are getting punished?
jdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 12:20 PM   #80

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw1 View Post
How do you see it that the people with fuel efficient vehicles are getting punished?
Being required to pay higher registration fees based on fuel efficiency is certainly punishment. Paying twice the title fee and 3 times the registration fee adds up to far more than fuel taxes would have. I am all for paying my fair share. All should pay the same.
Old 03-11-2023, 04:05 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by code2e View Post
Being required to pay higher registration fees based on fuel efficiency is certainly punishment. Paying twice the title fee and 3 times the registration fee adds up to far more than fuel taxes would have. I am all for paying my fair share. All should pay the same.
Where does fuel tax go? In many states, it goes to road and bridge maintenance. The costs of infrastructure upkeep are proportional to vehicle weight, often reflected in registration cost, and miles driven, which is where fuel usage comes in.

So, if you're buying zero fuel, how do you propose you pay your fair share for road use?
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 05:48 PM   #82

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Where does fuel tax go? In many states, it goes to road and bridge maintenance. The costs of infrastructure upkeep are proportional to vehicle weight, often reflected in registration cost, and miles driven, which is where fuel usage comes in.

So, if you're buying zero fuel, how do you propose you pay your fair share for road use?

To title and register an Oregon fossil fuel car for 2 years will cost $227.
To title and register an Oregon electric car for 2 years will cost $508.
Electric user currently pays $281 more than fossil fuel user. Electric vehicles average annual mileage is half (7K) of fossil fuel (14K) as well. In Oregon, weight is not a factor until truck (T) or commercial plates are required.
Old 03-11-2023, 11:25 PM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
Does Oregon have a state fuel tax?

Code2e, so are you saying that because a vehicle gets better fuel economy the owner doesn’t have to pay as much for road usage?
jdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 12:05 AM   #84

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw1 View Post
Does Oregon have a state fuel tax?

Code2e, so are you saying that because a vehicle gets better fuel economy the owner doesn’t have to pay as much for road usage?
Yes, Oregon has state fuel tax of $.38. Federal tax is $.184. I used total tax of $.564 per gallon in my example.

I was not saying that better fuel economy vehicles should pay less tax. Although, in reality they do, since less fuel purchased incurs less tax to pay. What I was saying is electric vehicles drive less annual miles than fossil fuel vehicles. Therefore, less impact on road maintenance.

Tags
diesel