Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2021, 12:58 PM   #1

Refrigerator level question

We recently bought an almost new B+ with an absorption refrigerator. The one problem we have is that it does not cool very well in the Arizona summer heat, but that may be due to the very high (110+ F) temperatures we can have here in the summer. Or it may be due to something going on with the fridge.

One of the things I noticed is that the refrigerator is not installed fully level. The bottom sticks out from the wall 1 5/8 inches and the top only 3/8 of an inch, so the entire fridge leans back about 1.4 degrees. See the photo below.

On the other hand the shelves are completely level. That is, when the RV is level and the refrigerator/freezer is leaning back the shelves in the refrigerator section are horizontal and not leaning. Presumably that means that if I have the refrigerator leveled the shelves will be lower in the front than in the back.

I have not had an absorption refrigerator in an RV for a while so I don't know if this is considered normal and I don't know if the fact that the refrigerator leans back means that it is out of level or not. Why would the fridge lean and the shelves still be level? And does the fact that the refrigerator is not level mean that the burner is also out of level and should be adjusted for it to work properly? Or does the fact that the shelves are level mean that the burner is also level?

I just don't have much experience with absorption refrigerators in RVs so any help you can give me would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	refrigerator.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	337082  
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2021, 01:35 PM   #2

Front to back out of level isn’t as critical as side to side - although by checking level of the shelves in the refer, o don’t think that’s your problem.

I would be more concerned about the draft of heat up the back of the refer. Make sure there is a clear path for heat to rise up and out of that back chamber. Some people put a muffin fan back there, and CAMCO sells a roof vent cover replacement with a solar cell and can to help the hot air draft.

You might also check out the ARP fridge control that will serve to protect your absorption refer and minimize heat buildup. Plenty of info there to give you some direction (FWIW - I just installed one on ours).
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:02 PM   #3

A few thoughts.

It's hard to tell if the refrigerator is out of plumb or is it just the silver trim piece. I say that because the slight view of the actual door skin disappears as you look at the bottom of the refrigerator. If it's just the trim, that would account for the interior shelves being level, but the edge is not.

It also appears that the reason the trim/edge sticks out is because it is hitting the base shoe of the cabinet where it meets the floor. It looks like the bottom edge of the refrigerator is being prevented from moving inward fully by the base shoe.

The cooling efficiency of the refrigerator depends on proper ventilation around the burner/heating element in the back. That mean a clear flow of air up and out the roof or top vent. The front seal, which may be compromised by the poorly seated front edge, probably would not inhibit the heat transfer to the point where you get inadequate cooling. It would depend much more on air flow in the back which can be improved by installation of fan, if necessary.

The tilt of the refrigerator, if it is actually a tilt, should not affect the burner to such a degree that heating would be impaired.

Set your level on the floor of the refrigerator, not a shelf. If the floor is level in all directions, the trim is the thing that is out of spec.

BTW, you have the same topic posted in another thread where several have already responded. It would be helpful to combine both threads together to let everyone know you are receiving their input and responsive. It also avoids confusion.

Contact the mods using the red triangle at the bottom of your post and ask them to combine this thread with you other.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
BTW, you have the same topic posted in another thread where several have already responded. It would be helpful to combine both threads together to let everyone know you are receiving their input and responsive. It also avoids confusion.
I posted this thread separately from the other because of the photo and because it was not just a question about the efficiency of propane refrigerators, but rather specifically about the tilt. Perhaps it was wrong to post a separate thread but I felt this was basically a different subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
The tilt of the refrigerator, if it is actually a tilt, should not affect the burner to such a degree that heating would be impaired.
That really is the basic question of this thread so thank you for the answer.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:59 PM   #5

Off level operation has nothing to do with propane flame or element heat

It has to do with the gravity flow of the Coolant back to absorber tank

Level your RV
Go outside and remove the lower fridge access vent cover
Look at the absorber tubes...they are slanted downward to enhance the gravity flow of coolant
Are they slanted downward when RV is level???
YES...good to go
NO....then you need to Level RV based on Fridge absorber tubes being slanted downward
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:50 AM   #6

Have you checked the cabinet to make sure it isn't the problem?

If it is the refrigerator you can by a pack of wedges/shims at any of the big box stores for a couple of bucks. Use them in pairs, thin ends together, slide them towards each other until the frig is level.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:06 AM   #7

If I had to bet, the plywood fridge is sitting on is warped from leaks and just plain exposure over the years from either or all ,drip tube ,top vent and access door.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
Have you checked the cabinet to make sure it isn't the problem?
I checked the walls to make sure they were properly vertical when the RV is level, and they are.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Off level operation has nothing to do with propane flame or element heat

It has to do with the gravity flow of the Coolant back to absorber tank

Level your RV
Go outside and remove the lower fridge access vent cover
Look at the absorber tubes...they are slanted downward to enhance the gravity flow of coolant
Are they slanted downward when RV is level???
YES...good to go
NO....then you need to Level RV based on Fridge absorber tubes being slanted downward
I will check this when I am next at the RV. Thank you for the information.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I checked the walls to make sure they were properly vertical when the RV is level, and they are.
If the walls are vertical, and the silver trim is correctly attached to the refrigerator, the only remaining place that can account for the tilt is the floor of the refrigerator cabinet. I cannot tell from the photo if the refrigerator sits on a floor within the cabinet that is a bit higher than the coach floor. My fridge sits above the furnace so it is mounted on a raised platform. If yours is similar, the platform could be tilted slightly toward the outside of the coach. If not, possibly the finished floor of the coach extends a bit into the cabinet opening and remaining part is bare subfloor, causing an uneven surface.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:39 PM   #11

Install a exhaust fan for the back of refrig. It really does make a big difference in cooling efficiency. Refrig. should be reasonably level as others have said.
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:27 PM   #12

3 degrees side to side and 6 degrees front to back. I don't think you're that far out. However previous use out of level plugs the tubes and it is not reversible.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:46 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Install exhaust fan. Also have heard people developing baffles or modifying the baffles to get more more air flow through the coild on the back.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
However previous use out of level plugs the tubes and it is not reversible.
I don't know what you mean by this. Could you expand on it a bit so that I know what you mean by "level plugs the tubes"?

Tags
refrigerator