Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2023, 02:48 PM   #1

Refrigerator Residential Repair / Removal

Good afternoon, Gurus! I didn't find this in a search so was hoping for some experience sharing. I have a 2020 Thor Outlaw with the Whirlpool WRT1115FDM04 residential refrigerator. On our last trip it started short cycling, compressor running about 5 seconds and then shutting off. It's getting power, light comes on, etc. Question 1: I can clearly see the brackets top and bottom that are holding the unit in the cabinet, but the top screws are not accessible. Do I need to remove the top finish molding to expose those screws? Wanted to ask before I start prying off the pretty molding and making a mess. Question 2: This short cycling issue... is it something that I can fix by replacing a relay? I have tried the "hard reset" described online which is just cutting power to it for an hour. I also read that it was possibly a relay that could be replaced. Sooo... I guess that leads to a third question. I checked with a couple of RV repair shops that said they do not work on the residential frig. So do I call a normal appliance repair company and tell them that I will pull the frig out of the cabinet so they can do their work? Thanks so much for your input and guidance!
Outlaw 38MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2023, 05:50 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Before you go to far, check under the refer. The coils are under the refer at the front and can get VERY dirty in an RV. Some of the Whirlpools have what looks like a piece of packing cardboard between the coils. That's supposed to be there. Cleaning the coils is slow and tedious as it's tight under there. One of those vacuum snouts for dryers helps.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:18 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think if you pull the refrigerator away from the wall you can get an appliance repair company to make repairs. Could be as simple as a start relay but like Don suggested , clean the condenser coils while you have access.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 08:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
I think if you pull the refrigerator away from the wall you can get an appliance repair company to make repairs. Could be as simple as a start relay but like Don suggested , clean the condenser coils while you have access.
Thanks guys, I plan to do all of those things as soon as I can figure out how to get at the fasteners on the top brackets that hold the frig in place. Has anyone needed to remove the top cabinet molding?
Outlaw 38MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 09:07 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Before you do anything spend some time searching the internet for you particular make/model of fridge. Look for a service manual. If you find one there will be a way to run diagostics on it.

I have a 2017 Samsung RF18 and found a manual for mine. It explains how to run diagnostics on it
Also look for common problems with the make/model, chances are you will find the exact same problem and the fix and possibly a YouTube video showing how to fix.

A friend of mine had a ~10 year old whirlpool fridge. He called a repairman who said it would X$$ for a service call and probably $XXX to fix and said it probably wasn't worth it. He called me and told what was wrong, did some searches, found two common problems, one was a cheap easy fix that was worth trying, local company had the part. The didn't fix it. The next fix was a control board, ~$150 from Amazon. Friend thought it was worth trying figuring he could get a board and send it back if it didn't work. So he ordered a control board and I sent him a link to a video on how to install the specific instructions on steps as it did require a sequence of button pushing for the fridge to accept it. That fixed. Only real problem was that he had already ordered a new fridge before calling me and so now the old one is in the garage for BEER

So take some time, do some searches. You may get lucky
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, epa, refrigerator, removal, repair