Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2020, 11:41 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

The propane heater is probably more "efficient" at driving the cooling unit, but I suspect you really meant "which is cheaper". For most of America, it's not worth agonizing over the difference. In a few places either LP or electric may be unusually cheap, but otherwise I would opt for convenience and use electric. Regions with hydroelectric power tend to have cheap electricity, while places with nearby gas wells may have cheap propane.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2020, 02:53 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for the thoughts and comments. I'll use the shore power - then I won't need to head for a propane fill up. That's the easy way I'm thinking.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:26 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Thanks for the thoughts and comments. I'll use the shore power - then I won't need to head for a propane fill up. That's the easy way I'm thinking.
From those of us in the Power Industry......thank you!
We feel it is the wisest choice
Old 04-09-2020, 04:06 PM   #18
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I always have shore power hooked up when at home. The fridge is on auto. The camper fridge is home base for things I buy right now. After three days or so things go to the house fridge.

At 76, I wish this target would fall off my back and we get back to normal love/hate things.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:49 PM   #19

You should also put a sensor from a wireless weather station to watch the temp in the fridge.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:24 PM   #20
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Unicorn Driver, Why?

I guess I do not worry that much about small things now days.

Peace…
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRR View Post
Unicorn Driver, Why?

Peace…
cuz life begins at 40.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Unicorn Driver, Why?

Peace…
It would tell him if there is an issue with the fridge if he was not going to be in the coach.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Unicorn Driver, Why?

Peace…
We have a wireless sensor inside our RV propane refrigerator to make sure - without opening the refrigerator door - that the interior temperature is 36-38 degrees.

Our RV's Norcold propane refrigerator has 5 temperature settings, and we normally only need setting 3. If the inside temperature begins to go out of range in extremely hot weather ... we just (without opening the refrigerator door and losing cold air from inside it) set it to the next setting higher to bring it's temperature back to 36-38 degrees.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:01 AM   #24

https://www.rvpartscountry.com/Refri...ermometer.html

I have one of these in the freezer and one in the fridge, placed so I can see them whenever I happen to open up to take out food. They're cheaper than two of the wireless ones and don't require replacement batteries. And they still work after 19 years of use!
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:03 AM   #25

I would keep some frozen bottles or ice blocks ready for grocery trips like that. Tuck them around the fridge with the new groceries to help keep the temperature as steady as you can.

I've been playing around with inside fans and direction trying to find the best working setup on my Norcold 4 door. That still is a puzzler despite what the forums recommend I get different results.

During a few hot days, Propane seems to run the coils on back much hotter than electric. Exhaust fans are a must for mine.

Tags
refrigerator